Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860351 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8730 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:42 pm »

I have fallen in love with this game. Though there are a handful of features I'm hoping to see in future updates:
Glad to hear it, We keep rolling on.
- aimed attacks (my favorite feature of DF Adventure Mode)
Not planning on aimed at body parts per se, but we have plans for a melee system where you push, cripple, and otherwise do nasty things to enimies other than just smacking them.  This is mediated by various combat styles (which includes martial arts, but I don't think it's going to be restricted to that anymore)
- more detailed combat information in the log
This would indeed come with the above.
- distinction between sounds made by the player vs sounds made by the world and its inhabitants in the log
As of now the sound meter shows how much noise was generated on the player's tile or adjacent tiles, which captures the majority of noise the player makes.  I have plans for a system where the '?'s stick around until your next action, and you can use the look command to get a description of the noise.
- enhanced stealth play, more information regarding the "amount" of stealth I'm achieving at any given time. help me understand when NPCs see me, and when they don't. 'ignoring' flag alone doesn't tell me if they haven't spotted me, or if they have indeed spotted me, and are simply leaving me alone.
This is a big overhaul we want to make, letting you adjust your posture so you can e.g. crouch behind a car, or crawl through a ditch to get past enimies.  I have some ideas on vizualizing this in a nice way.
- wish I could pour water on my face/in my eyes when I'm blinded by bile.
That's not a half bad idea, I'll look into whether there's a good way to implement that, right now activating a drink makes you drink it, but we might be able to put a conditional in there to handle it.
- a simple "you die" message on death, would give a greater sense of finality.
Good point, probably want to display the memorial file, need to look into that again.
- some sort of highscore? most days survived? most zombies killed? greatest skill total at death?
There's a memorial file that gets written to memorial/, we're steadily tracking more stuff, and there is interest in singling out particular achievements to report.  Having best of for a particular world is a good idea too.
much love.
<3
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: November 05, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »

Slight bug-ish thing I ran into. If I'm using anything that requires a lighter or matches to light (cigarettes, pipe "tobacco", etc), it seems to default to matches regardless of anything else unless I only have lighters in my inventory. I typically prefer to use lighters, since I have this fantasy of one day actually building match head bombs, but it gets kind of annoying that the game keeps using matchbooks and breaking stacks. Especially since number of items is typically the limiter on my scavenging - I stop when I pick up the remaining 25 or so items that can fit in my inventory.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: November 05, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »

- wish I could pour water on my face/in my eyes when I'm blinded by bile.
That's not a half bad idea, I'll look into whether there's a good way to implement that, right now activating a drink makes you drink it, but we might be able to put a conditional in there to handle it.

Being able to use a towel to clean off bile would be nice as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: November 05, 2013, 05:55:04 pm »

I'll look at the matches thing, I seem to recall it tries to use fire sources with less charges first to keep from using one charge of each of your lighters etc, and that would tend to have it use matches first.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: November 05, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »

I'll look at the matches thing, I seem to recall it tries to use fire sources with less charges first to keep from using one charge of each of your lighters etc, and that would tend to have it use matches first.

Might want to have it use the fire source with the lowest percentage of charges left (so a lighter with 85/100 charges left would be used before a matchbook with 20/20) or just ask. It's mostly a minor irritation, it breaks up my matchbooks into two stacks which uses another inventory slot. Given that I use 50 with armor and standard gear (filter mask, sewing kit, towel, MP3, vodka, meds, etc), that slot is actually kind of important to me.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: November 05, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »

If you're going to go halfway with adding bashing damage with mass, then you could do a similar thing with cutting and pierce. Would have to figure speed vs mass vs contact edge, but that formula would let damage be figured out for anything. For ex, a machete would weigh 1 kg, have a long cutting edge with a rating of 3. Plug it into the formula, you'd get slashing damage, from the long edge and the rating.
The big thing here is that containers aren't doing cutting damage. When you put something into a cardboard box or backpack, it doesn't magically gain the ability to cut things. Since this applies to like 99% of all containers (most containers aren't doing cutting damage) I figure that unless someone can find a significant reason that we would need to worry about cutting damage from containers simply adding to bashing damage should work well enough.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: November 05, 2013, 09:20:11 pm »

If you're going to go halfway with adding bashing damage with mass, then you could do a similar thing with cutting and pierce. Would have to figure speed vs mass vs contact edge, but that formula would let damage be figured out for anything. For ex, a machete would weigh 1 kg, have a long cutting edge with a rating of 3. Plug it into the formula, you'd get slashing damage, from the long edge and the rating.
The big thing here is that containers aren't doing cutting damage. When you put something into a cardboard box or backpack, it doesn't magically gain the ability to cut things. Since this applies to like 99% of all containers (most containers aren't doing cutting damage) I figure that unless someone can find a significant reason that we would need to worry about cutting damage from containers simply adding to bashing damage should work well enough.
I meant in a general sense across all weapons. I suppose it would be more useful with a modular system though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »

Simple.  Adding weight to any item increases the damage by a factor, but also increases the moves-per-attack and after a certain weight, starts incurring a to-hit penalty.

A Zweihander with an extra weighted blade would get more power per swing, but take significantly more strength and time, as well as becoming unwieldy.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:49 pm »

I know that features have been frozen, but a suggestion for the next version - battery operated fan. We have a CBM that does something similar, but just having a battery operated device that lowers your character's temperature would be very useful during the dog days of summer.

Edit: Doubly so since my character is basically running around naked and still suffering from "Very Hot!" and the associated pain.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:10:09 pm by Grendus »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:10 pm »

I know that features have been frozen, but a suggestion for the next version - battery operated fan. We have a CBM that does something similar, but just having a battery operated device that lowers your character's temperature would be very useful during the dog days of summer.

Edit: Doubly so since my character is basically running around naked and still suffering from "Very Hot!" and the associated pain.
Being wet after a certain temperature rating should negate the temp and not cause morale issues.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »

If code is added to let players use water to wash boomer bile off their face, it would be nice to have the option to douse yourself with water to temporarily reduce your temperature as well.

I did manage to get out of the pain zone, but not without basically stripping down to my mutant scales. Less than a week til autumn.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8741 on: November 05, 2013, 11:50:11 pm »

So, I finally reached the level of Electromechanic mastery to let me build CBMs, and I have a Power Armor Hauling Frame and I recall having a suit of Power Armor somewhere around. So, how do I into Human Tank?

Power armor is a hog, at least as far as the hookup CBM is concerned. 1power/10turns. Compare that to metabolic interchange, which restores at 1power/100turns. I can't imagine how fast it'd burn through batteries, even if you're ok with slogging around in 5 encumbrance 90% of the time.

How the heck they powered this stuff in the field beats me.

You know, I'd like to see this, but in a different way - some sort of command allowing you to wait, and focus extra hard on making the next shot. I know there's the recoil system, but say, if I turn a corner, and there's a zombie coming toward me from across the street, I can instantly take one shot at full 'aim', which seems odd to me.
Each 'turn' actually takes several seconds.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8742 on: November 06, 2013, 12:54:13 am »

How the heck they powered this stuff in the field beats me.

Eating the soldiers they killed with their furnaces, of course.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: November 06, 2013, 01:26:43 am »

Kevin (azmodean) is actually working on an aiming system right now that should allow for just this, where you can wait small amounts of time in order to bring down your recoil.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: November 06, 2013, 01:29:16 am »

Kevin (azmodean) is actually working on an aiming system right now that should allow for just this, where you can wait small amounts of time in order to bring down your recoil.
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1086