Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861328 times)

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8610 on: November 01, 2013, 11:39:21 am »

It would be very nice if you could disable the spawning of world events by overcoming them. I was sorely disappointed when I went to all the trouble of killing a Fungal Bloom and learned that it was basically pointless - the Fungaloids and Fungal Zombies I had been trying to get rid of in the first place were still everywhere. Killing the queen of an ant hive, smashing a Fungal Bloom, burning a Slime Pit, etc should allow the player to remove world items that they want to get rid of.
Actually they are disabled. Spawning of new things is stopped after you kill the main 'boss', but anything that was spawned before is still there.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »

Maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed like after I smashed the fungal bloom I kept having fungal zombies spawn behind me. That was a few releases ago though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »

I just had an extremely badass mutant adventurer. He had large talons and killed quite a few zombies, though he hadn't ever used weapons except for a rock to kill a bunny. I was wounded heavily, sleeping in an abandoned truck on day 4 when I randomly vomited up a young fungaloid in my sleep, which easily killed my wounded hero.

Don'cha hate it when that happens?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: November 01, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »

Enemies with queens (triffids, fungals, ants) have their spawn cluster marked as "dying" once you kill a queen, it just takes a long time for the decay to become visible.

Ideally we want the full population to be represented present like with zombies, but the queen will actually be generating new individuals (up to some cap), killing the queen means you can take them out via attrition.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8614 on: November 01, 2013, 01:19:51 pm »

Do young fungaloids ever grow up? If so, no spire needed for infinite all-consuming fungaloid blob.

Killing them off via attrition would be a pipe dream.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: November 01, 2013, 01:34:42 pm »

That too, it actually helps to leave the area and not interact with the fungaloids, because then they might reproduce faster than the population decay rate.  On the other hand I'm not sure how the math works out for spores since they destroy themselves most of the time.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: November 01, 2013, 01:36:46 pm »

So attrition happens even outside of the 'world is alive around you zone'?  That's nice.

And to confirm, you can't stop slimes spawning, even if you burn ever slime pit tile on every level of the slime pit, outside and in?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:08 pm »

The population decay triggered by killing the "queen" is applied at midnight, and you don't have to be anywhere nearby for it to happen.

Nothing similar for slime pits, but looking into it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: November 01, 2013, 02:31:59 pm »

Suggestion on the slime pits - rather than having the Slime Mutagen use sewage samples, have it require drops from the slimes.
I think a PR for that just went up recently, I'm not sure if it's been merged in yet or not.

Do young fungaloids ever grow up? If so, no spire needed for infinite all-consuming fungaloid blob.

Killing them off via attrition would be a pipe dream.
So attrition happens even outside of the 'world is alive around you zone'?  That's nice.
Only in a very few select circumstances, and even then it doesn't really do it that well. That's one of the reasons why despite young fungaloids growing up fairly quickly the spire still acts like it does (well despite the fact that that's what fungaloids are supposed to do, release hordes of spores) it's because the game doesn't handle out-of-reality adjustments to the world/monster populations very well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: November 01, 2013, 02:45:53 pm »

Only in a very few select circumstances, and even then it doesn't really do it that well. That's one of the reasons why despite young fungaloids growing up fairly quickly the spire still acts like it does (well despite the fact that that's what fungaloids are supposed to do, release hordes of spores) it's because the game doesn't handle out-of-reality adjustments to the world/monster populations very well.

So, playing with the goal of 'restoring order to the world around me' - Avoid slime pits because randomly spawning reinforcements will constantly spawn and I simply cant fix that other than by being far distant, and kill the spawn source of ants, triffids, and fungals.

Are portals in the slime class or the spawn source class?  And those 5 are the whole list of above ground 'unnatural' spawn sources for now(swamp wildlife is fine, as are other sorts of wildlife - they seem to despawn over time so they don't 'take over the world' mwahaha)?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: November 01, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »

Potential way of clearing out slimes: clean up all the goo with a mop (or fire or acid or what-have-you), with blob spawning linked to the amount of slime in the pit.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: November 01, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »

Hello again, just a quick question, I have a survivor who I want to "retire."  Basically I've temporarily dead-ended with her and I want to start a new char in a new world without losing my progress, I know I need to move some files but which ones exactly I am unsure of, I don't want to forget something and permanently screw myself  afterall.  Any help would be appreciated.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: November 01, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »

Why not just make a new Cataclysm folder? Nothing is saved to system folders or my documents or anything like that.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: November 01, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »

My hard drive already has almost a dozen copies of DF, over a dozen other games, and is a headaceh to navigate, for simplicity's sake, I'd just like to know what to drag and drop.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:18 pm »

You want to save everything in the "save" folder.  Very recent versions have support for multiple worlds in play at once, you can try upgrading and keep that save around within the game folder, but I'd recommend backing up the save folder either way.
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1086