Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861639 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8475 on: October 28, 2013, 04:55:40 pm »

Just downloaded newest newest experimental, and began to wonder if there were plans to implement a sneak mode or some form of way to avoid triggering every zombie the minute you get near them(sight not smell)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: October 28, 2013, 05:12:55 pm »

IRL, you can rent most restaurants for a set period of time.  You'll be paying thousands of dollars at a minimum, and if you need it for more than a few hours, expect that cost to skyrocket.

Movie filming is the most common reason for this to happen; major event private parties are a second high frequency reason.  Less common occurrences may include major business deals and the like.

I'd imagine that restaurant to have been rearranged to suit the needs of a single special event.  Maybe a wealthy fellow took his girl to a private meal at her favorite restaurant, right as things got too bad for any marriage to ever happen.

Alright, it's still a sad thing.  But it's not necessarily the restaurant that is so sad!

I just imagined a restaurant that was in such dire straights they had to sell off everything except one table, with the owner having to do the cooking, serving and cleaning.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »

Linguini's Social Dining restaraunt and Taco Hut.

"Get to know new friends!  Because you will all be eating together."
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: October 28, 2013, 07:47:18 pm »

I'm really glad to see you guys giving that matter the attention it deserves. Maybe it'd have some dexterity requirements to keep it on your head while you walk (and/or run,fight,jump through windows, burn, explode, cross a windshield at 200 mph, etc)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: October 28, 2013, 11:30:55 pm »

Just downloaded newest newest experimental, and began to wonder if there were plans to implement a sneak mode or some form of way to avoid triggering every zombie the minute you get near them(sight not smell)

Currently zombies have 360 degree sight, because like the player they have no facing direction. However, you can sneak around at night or in the evenings. Smell and sound are no longer pinpoint accuracy, the zombies will head in your general direction but not directly towards you.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:51 pm »

I can't wait until they change that; hopefully to something more reminiscent of Unreal World's directional system.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: October 28, 2013, 11:57:11 pm »

I can't wait until they change that; hopefully to something more reminiscent of Unreal World's directional system.
Actually the unidirectional vs. directional sight has come up a number of times, and it's been decided that unidirectional sight will remain in the game. This is because each "turn" in the game actually consists of 6 real-time seconds, plenty of time for a person or monster to turn around and look in various directions. Combine that with the fact that if some sort of facing was actually added it would lead to players constantly walking around while spinning in order to maintain sight in all directions and unidirectional sight was determined to be the best (and easiest to code) way to go.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: October 28, 2013, 11:58:21 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: October 29, 2013, 12:10:13 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Ehhh. What works for one game, may not work for another. :P
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: October 29, 2013, 12:52:13 am »

Unreal World, and most games with directional facing, either dont need it or are structure around it.

In Unreal world its not needed, as wondering around is more or less pretty safe. For X@Com, its part of the structure of the game.

For CDDA, it would most likely cause folks to walk in circles so they can keep watch everywhere, as the world is continuously dangerous and the game and its not structure for it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54:50 am »

I'm in the camp of 'keep the omnidirectional sight', for the simple reason that I KNOW I would be continuously checking all visual quadrants while moving through hostile terrain, and the whole freaking GAME is hostile terrain.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8486 on: October 29, 2013, 01:34:17 am »

In the world after the end a sole survivor wanders on his eternal quest for meaning.
Trully his wandering is an epic quest for with each step he spins as if a ballerina or a top
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: October 29, 2013, 01:46:43 am »

PT actually W this time. C:DDA is the tops.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: October 29, 2013, 01:53:11 am »

Trully his wandering is an epic quest for with each step he spins as if a ballerina or a top

So, Sufism is finally implemented then?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:36 am »

What. The. Fuck.

I downloaded the latest experimental, made a char and so on. I walk out of the shelter and what do I find?

HEAVY POWER FUCKING ARMOR, Military IDs, Science IDs, Portal Generator, Ooze Canister... game, what are you planning?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1086