Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862244 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8280 on: October 21, 2013, 10:02:41 pm »

Can we also get some sort of medication that can help prevent barfing?  Some sort of lootable drug or craftable tea?  So, you could get a dry-heaving warning and then attempt to stop it.  Vomit is one of the biggest dangers of early life, as you can ruin a whole stash of food with one mouthful of toilet water.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:09 pm »

I think Cannabis reduces nausea. Not sure if it stops vomiting though, I actively avoid drinking toilet water and eating spoiled food specifically for that reason. I'm not sure how this would work, but I believe that grass can also help with nausea. It's not exactly healthy or sterile, but given that this is a post-apocalyptic world it might be an interesting addition to the game.

Generally speaking, if you're aggressive enough in your early game exploration you should have plenty of liquid to drink without having to resort to toilet or river water, and it only takes one or two houses to find a pan or pot. As far as infected wounds go, a little armor goes a long way. Zombies will typically try to bite you first thing, but it only takes a light amount of armor to stop it. Leather armor or a few layers of cloth should be enough to keep infected wounds at bay. It's very much a learning curve, once you get the hang of it you'll wonder how you ever struggled with the early game.

Edit: Also, I know we discussed this earlier, but I think there should be an option to use hard liquor to disinfect a wound. Require a First Aid check to prevent some pain and limb damage, but a skilled medic or desperate survivor should consider it a viable option.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:37:12 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

...I'm seriously sure that you don't vomit from infected wounds and that you infer too much without giving the small details rather than the major omg details. >_>
Infected wounds do lead to vomiting, but not until like 10+ hours into the infected wound time (plus the bite time). That said I'm currently working on a small rewrite to vomiting, so that the amount of thirst/hunger that it causes decreases as you get more hungry/dehydrated (to represent dry heaving and throwing up less actual content.
o_O
...Oh.
Well..because I've had an infected broken left arm for more than a day (until gangrene set in? Or until the greenish-like ooze message appeared?) and I haven't been vomiting at all.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: October 22, 2013, 04:34:01 am »

o_O
...Oh.
Well..because I've had an infected broken left arm for more than a day (until gangrene set in? Or until the greenish-like ooze message appeared?) and I haven't been vomiting at all.

Wowsers.  I've avoided broken limbs and thus never had one 'infect' but that sounds like a different sort of infection?  (which I've also never had)  The sort of infection I've experienced has been from infected bites.  I've never died from it; usually I manage to get it cauterized clean; when not I've high-tailed it through bathrooms and found one of the effective fixes super fast; it's literally the only thing I let my character do until cure was found.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: October 22, 2013, 09:08:09 am »

Can we also get some sort of medication that can help prevent barfing?  Some sort of lootable drug or craftable tea?  So, you could get a dry-heaving warning and then attempt to stop it.  Vomit is one of the biggest dangers of early life, as you can ruin a whole stash of food with one mouthful of toilet water.
There are anti-nausea medications, but it's more a, "reduces nausea over the next several hours" effect rather than "take to avoid throwing up".  That would probably be fine.
In addition to a "don't vomit at all" medication being unrealistic, it would also be a bad idea, generally the reason vomiting is triggered is that the contents of the digestive system have become toxic, the alternative to vomiting is absorbing the toxins and likely dying.  That one mouthful of toilet water has already spoiled the contents of your digestive system, the options are ditching it or getting poisoned, you're not getting net nutrition out of it either way.

That having been said, capping how far down vomiting will take hunger/thirst should fix the unreasonable lethality of vomiting we have now.  For food poisioning in particular, it might simply be a matter of "keep vomiting until hunger/thirst reaches a target that indicates the stomach is emptied out".
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: October 22, 2013, 09:36:25 am »

There are anti-nausea medications, but it's more a, "reduces nausea over the next several hours" effect rather than "take to avoid throwing up".  That would probably be fine.
In addition to a "don't vomit at all" medication being unrealistic, it would also be a bad idea, generally the reason vomiting is triggered is that the contents of the digestive system have become toxic, the alternative to vomiting is absorbing the toxins and likely dying.  That one mouthful of toilet water has already spoiled the contents of your digestive system, the options are ditching it or getting poisoned, you're not getting net nutrition out of it either way.

That having been said, capping how far down vomiting will take hunger/thirst should fix the unreasonable lethality of vomiting we have now.  For food poisioning in particular, it might simply be a matter of "keep vomiting until hunger/thirst reaches a target that indicates the stomach is emptied out".

While on the topic of unreasonable lethality, why is Common Cold so goddamn debilitating?

You get -3 STR, other stats aside, and that's pretty absurd - the only situation in which you'd get a strength penalty is when you have a fever (due to various parameters of circulatory system changing to heat you up), but -3 is 104+ F fever level, it should be -1. Especially since it can last veeeery long if unmedicated and leaves you more or less bedridden if you want to cure it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:48 am »

I agree, the stat penalty from the common cold is rather over the top. I think all diseases should actually be killing your character's mood. For the common cold that should be the biggest concern, whereas for other diseases it's obviously not going to be the top concern since you can die from them and not from common cold.
Feeling down? Click Here!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: October 22, 2013, 10:36:56 am »

Slight bug. I can wear fitted combat boots over my fitted sneakers with no foot encumbrance.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:22 pm »

I agree, the stat penalty from the common cold is rather over the top. I think all diseases should actually be killing your character's mood. For the common cold that should be the biggest concern, whereas for other diseases it's obviously not going to be the top concern since you can die from them and not from common cold.
Generally I view the common cold and flu diseases as "Placeholder disease weak" and "Placeholder disease strong". When we eventually get around to reworking the health system into something a little more sensible we'll most likely add several more diseases (or at least I hope to).

This is almost exactly what I'm working on right now, though I'm more going with a scaling method. It should still be possible to at least dehydrate yourself to death through vomiting (it happens fairly often in the real world in less developed countries), but as you get closer and closer to that point the amount of nutrition/thirst lost should scale down to almost nothing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: October 22, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »

Armored fingerless gloves seem a bit overpowered. 28 bash and cut protection for no encumbrance? Yeah, the coverage is a bit crappy, but still.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: October 22, 2013, 02:38:16 pm »

Armored fingerless gloves seem a bit overpowered. 28 bash and cut protection for no encumbrance? Yeah, the coverage is a bit crappy, but still.
Coverage is kinda one of the most important stats, considering with a coverage of only 50 your gloves have only a 50% chance of actually providing any armor at all (making their overall amount of armor they give in the long run basically equivalent to 14 bash and cut protection.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: October 22, 2013, 02:52:15 pm »

Do hand and foot armor actually count?  I was never truly sure, since you don't have a damage indicator for hands or feet...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: October 22, 2013, 02:53:02 pm »

Greatest thing ever. Turn on dynamic spawn with a max size city. See how far you make it once you need to leave your bolt hole for supplies.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: October 22, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »

Hand and foot armor seem to count a little bit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

Greatest thing ever. Turn on dynamic spawn with a max size city. See how far you make it once you need to leave your bolt hole for supplies.

Hm, that does sound like something awesome to try!
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 1086