Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862681 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8145 on: October 18, 2013, 12:51:35 pm »

Silk was historically used as armor, in particular oriental warriors would wear silk shirts under their armor, and when hit by an arrow the main force would be broken by the armor, though the arrowhead would drive in further it wouldn't be able to penetrate the silk, leaving a solid arrow stuck in their armor fairly harmlessly.

Silk in general is also pretty durable.  I'm starting to think that items should be given material types.  Instead of "fur bikini top" and "bikini top" and "leather bikini top" it could be more procedural designated based on what materials you're using, and then different materials be given different durability, protection, and warmth ratings...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8146 on: October 18, 2013, 01:02:04 pm »

...I think that's already the case. It just isn't displayed as such.

I know for a fact 'material' & 'thickness' determine: cut/bash protection, acid resistance, weight, and durability.

If I'm not mistaken it also covers what is used to repair it.

-edit
On second thought, not sure about weight.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:07:12 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: October 18, 2013, 01:02:31 pm »

I'm starting to think that items should be given material types.  Instead of "fur bikini top" and "bikini top" and "leather bikini top" it could be more procedural designated based on what materials you're using, and then different materials be given different durability, protection, and warmth ratings...

That would definitely be a much better crafting system
Feeling down? Click Here!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8148 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »

Wait, so you want to make an entirely new crafting system?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: October 18, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »

Silk from spiderwebs is kinda ....stretching.... it.  Really, spider silk has many different types and the sorts used for webs are either sticky or stuck in multiple places by lines that are sticky.  And most of the types of silks spiders produce are really, really stretchy (some much more so than others, and the tensile strength varies across short distances); not so ideal for trying to control the thickness of when you go to spin it or otherwise use it.

The silk from a pupae, if that pupae does produce silk, now that tends to be far more uniform and to not be sticky.  That's where silk from silkworms comes from, the transitional stage between caterpillar and maturity.

We have all sorts of giant insects now - some of them have no visible larval form.  None of them have a visible pupa form.

I'd love to see any sort of insect pupae, and for one or more of these to have a silk casing, which we'd probably need to interact with something like harvesting a bush to get the length of silk from.  Would be neat to have this as a reason to seek out swamps or something.  Pupae are pretty helpless; might make sense to be able to pick them up and carry them away.

Especially neat if they had a timer, something like the existing rotting timer, only it controlled when they were ready to leave that casing.  'bug pupa' suddenly becomes 'hatching bug pupa' (silk is ruined at this point), and a few game hours after that, it becomes the normal adult form, leaving behind an empty and useless pupa casing.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: October 18, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »

...I think that's already the case. It just isn't displayed as such.

I know for a fact 'material' & 'thickness' determine: cut/bash protection, acid resistance, weight, and durability.

If I'm not mistaken it also covers what is used to repair it.

-edit
On second thought, not sure about weight.
As in the example of the bikini top, all 3 versions are listed as different items, with unique crafting recipes and hand-detailed stats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: October 18, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »

As in the example of the bikini top, all 3 versions are listed as different items, with unique crafting recipes and hand-detailed stats.
^ Due to a crafting and recipe system that can't automatically adjust items as you suggest. Something like that might come in at some point in the future, but for now it's basically off (at least my) priority list.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: October 18, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »

It does seem like it'd demand a rework of the item and the crafting code. It'd e cool, but the amount of work to get it won't be so fun. For the time being, the three different bikinis seem good enough though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: October 18, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

Would be neat, and would be fun if making a new game.  But the system in place works well enough, so a total item rewrite can wait :P

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: October 18, 2013, 03:03:50 pm »

I've just now realized that keeping your body parts in the "warm" state is actually penalized  ??? :o how come?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: October 18, 2013, 03:11:59 pm »

Well, there's comfy warm, then there's uncomfortably warm. You're in the latter when your body is in that state. You sweat more, and are generally icky and smelly, and can feel the layers of sweat on you if you've been that way for a while. (Though I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually do the smelly thing, just explaining why it penalizes you.)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:17 pm »

Hm, for me, in real life, "warm" means I feel comfortable. If it gets uncomfortably warm then that's arleady "hot", and "cool" for reverse.
So I was confused..

Question about vehicles and off-road terrain:
I know if I put up spikes on my car, then I can ram through bushes without stopping, and that if there are no spikes, then the car just crashes into the bush (weird, but whatever). Has anyone tried doing the same with a quad bike and then using it for off-road trips? Is it possible to knock down small trees even?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: October 18, 2013, 03:25:41 pm »

I've just now realized that keeping your body parts in the "warm" state is actually penalized  ??? :o how come?
Umm... it shouldn't be. Having body parts in the "warm" or "cold" state at intensity one shouldn't actually do anything at all until you hit "hot" or a higher level of cold. (And checking the code it doesn't do anything.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: October 18, 2013, 03:29:00 pm »

Using the "experimental" version from the main website, i ran into a food dehydrator.

A deer ran into my current house/base and i managed to kill it, providing several chunk of meats.
Testing the device, i noticed it took 2 chunk of meat to provide 1 dehydrated meat (and sadly as that's a new character, he wasted a few chunks)

So i'm currently the proud owner of a dehydrated meat.

First the bad part.
Eating a dehydrated meat provide 18 nutritions (and make you thirsty with -3 quench), the 2 chunks of meat required for it would have provided 40 nutritions, and if both cooked would have given 100 nutritions (+ 16 enjoyability).
That already sounds like a really bad trade.

Looking on the crafting menu, making a rehydrated meat (to avoid the thirst hit) require 2 dehydrated meat + clean water.
But the result will still provide only 18 nutritions (and give 2 enjoyability)

So basically to generate a rehydrated meat and get 18 nutrition+2 enjoyability you would have used 4 chunks of meats (80 nutritions total) that you could have cooked and get 200 nutritions (and provide 32 enjoyability), and wasted 1 clean water in the process.

The nutrition side is simply a complete waste with the current numbers.
The main interest would be on the big games hunting and spiders attack, when you usually end with much more chunks than you can eat in 1 day, and the 2nd day they would all be rotten making it annoying to waste so many potential food.

With a dehydrator, you can then at least save those chunks for when you'll stop wanting to hunt or loot food and do whatever else for several days.
But looking at the description, "remain edible for an incredibly long time" does not tell you really how long you can stockpile them.

But still, 18 nutritions for all the meat component required, that really sounds weak.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:22 pm »

Umm... it shouldn't be. Having body parts in the "warm" or "cold" state at intensity one shouldn't actually do anything at all until you hit "hot" or a higher level of cold. (And checking the code it doesn't do anything.)

I had a "warm torso -2%" under the movement tab in the @ character screen.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 1086