Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862925 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8085 on: October 17, 2013, 03:23:29 pm »

To refill a water tank, 'e'xamine the vehicle, move your selector over the square with the water tank, and 'f'ill the water tank. It will fill randomly with one of the containers of clean water in your inventory (I think it may work from top to bottom, dunno for sure). If you have an RV cook unit, you can use it to refill any bottles or canteens you normally carry water in.

As for loading bikes, quad bikes, or shopping carts into vehicles, you probably want a folding bike. It's craftable, should be under misc (I think it's keyed off of mechanics, so if you're building a vehicle you should be able to carft one), or you occasionally find them in sporting goods stores. You can always carry two frames and a castor wheels set in one of your trunks and just weld a new cart together when you get to a new section of town.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:25:20 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:36 pm »

Ongoing activities should be stored in the player save file save/<base64 encoded gibberish>.txt It is right after profession, so likely "unemployed" unless you chose a specific one.

The only vehicles you can pick up are folding bikes, you can fold them up into a folded bike item and then pick them up, stash in a trunk, etc.
That reminds me, should make a folding cart that works the same way.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: October 17, 2013, 03:36:16 pm »

What do I use to fit clothes?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: October 17, 2013, 03:48:42 pm »

Ongoing activities should be stored in the player save file save/<base64 encoded gibberish>.txt It is right after profession, so likely "unemployed" unless you chose a specific one.

Thanks. Replaced the activity and backlog entries with the ones from an earlier savescum (don't judge me), which stopped the activity and prevented the segfault. Phew, I would have hated to have to restart that character, she was just starting to get to the interesting part of the game.

You can use a sewing kit or bone needle to fit normal clothing, and a soldering iron to fit plastic, metal, and kevlar clothing (like raincoats and bulletproof vests). You can also use these to repair and reinforce clothing, which increases their durability and protection.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:50:44 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: October 17, 2013, 03:50:35 pm »

Use a sewing kit with rags, leather, or fur, or use a soldiering iron with plastic, metal, or kevlar.  Attempting to repair an item will reinforce and fit it if possible.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: October 17, 2013, 04:01:50 pm »

Use a sewing kit with rags, leather, or fur, or use a soldiering iron with plastic, metal, or kevlar.  Attempting to repair an item will reinforce and fit it if possible.

I found out about reinforcing, what do you mean by 'if possible'?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »

Use a sewing kit with rags, leather, or fur, or use a soldiering iron with plastic, metal, or kevlar.  Attempting to repair an item will (reinforce) and (fit it if possible).
If that makes more sense.  Not all clothing can be fitted.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: October 17, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »

That reminds me, should make a folding cart that works the same way.
:D please do!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: October 17, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »

I found out about reinforcing, what do you mean by 'if possible'?

Some items can't be fitted or reinforced. For example, you can't fit a motorcycle helmet, you can't reinforce or repair an item that's already at max durability, etc.

Edit: Cleared out another black widow nest. Only complaint is, their venom is kind of pathetic. I think real life tiny black widows are more deadly than these mutant ones. It should probably be beefed up - it'd be awesome if I had more reasons than just my RL arachnophobia to consider slinging a molotov through the window and never looking back.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:44:13 pm by Grendus »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: October 17, 2013, 06:24:10 pm »

As i'm starting a new character in a new world and will try to not "debug -> set accidentally half the town in fire with incendiary 40mm grenades while killing all zombies" this time, i'm currently trying to clear an office tower to set it as my base to attack the nearby town.

The office tower was of course housing a bunch of zombies, i decided to get my newly crafted crowbar and my matchbook and challenge the office undead owners.

So far it went very well, though i'm a bit hurt, but now there are a dozen of zombies lying dead in several burning shrubs (that helped my inaccurate crowbar smashing a lot in killing the zombie by slowing them, and burning them).

Then comes the question : will the zombies be considered fully dead from lying dead in those burning shrubs, or will i still have to butcher all of them once the fire are finished ?

And the office tower is not inside the town, there's a bit of distance between it and town (relatively the same distance between the accidentally burning down shelter in the north, avoid trying to start fire inside to see if it can help against the cold, and the town).

So is the cleared office still in danger of falling into a zombie repopulation (as the town zombie counter should still be high), or shouldn't i have to worry about them again inside the office after clearing it ?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: October 17, 2013, 06:29:03 pm »

If the bodies are burned up (no longer there), you're fine. Otherwise you should probably butcher them. I know mollies burn hot enough to get rid of corpses, but I'm not sure about bush fires.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: October 17, 2013, 06:30:52 pm »

If the fire gets hot enough/lasts long enough to destroy the corpses entirely, then you don't need to butcher them. Depending on how hot the fire gets and whether or not it starts raining, that may not be enough. If you want to just be done with them you can 's'mash the corpses until they're too damaged to regenerate (they will show up as "Pulped Zombie Corpse" if you 'e'xamine the bush). Smashing doesn't get you any experience in Survival, but you can do it safely from one tile away meaning you don't have to wait for the fire to go out.

Zombies don't respawn, so it's unlikely that you'll have any zombie issues with the office once you have it cleared. It is possible that zombies will wander in, but normal zombies don't come back ever (fungal zombies do, which makes them both extremely annoying and a very useful source of infinite cloth and plastic items, but they only spawn near a Fungal Spire).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:29 pm »

Thanks,.
I wait for 1800 "heartbeats" in the office to test , then outside noticed that the fire that were close to my location died out (the other didn't as they're apparently beyond the limit in which the game check each turns).
And there's no more corpses, only a few tattered clothes (i was expecting them destroyed)
So either it means that shrubs fires are enough to get rid of them, or they somehow got up and moved somewhere else, i'll have to investigate a bit.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: October 17, 2013, 07:06:31 pm »

Had to ask about spawn density..As far as I see, there's no explanation on that in the options :P

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:34 pm »

Short lived investigations, a bear decided to track and attack me, i managed to fight back with shrub fire and crowbar, and finally killed it.
But the sorry state my character was then then in didn't left him much chance for the wolf that decided to mercy kill him.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1086