Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863155 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8025 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »

The streets- your car is waiting for you, but in different vehicles. Get a wrench & a saw!
I know. I have them, but need another level of mechanics to get the pieces of them from the car into my shopping cart of doom.

You can very quickly gain mechanics skill by removing and reinstalling parts from cars. Like tires, since they don't require a welder.
You need 2 skill to remove parts from a car, and I still haven't found a jack yet.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: October 16, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »

You don't need a jack to remove parts IIRC, just to replace tires. You could hack the tires off and put new ones on without a jack. No biggie.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:24 pm »

Say, you fellows mention 'character import'...what precisely do you mean?
AFAIK, you're able to move your character from one world to another by moving the appropriate files in the save folder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: October 16, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »

Say, you fellows mention 'character import'...what precisely do you mean?
AFAIK, you're able to move your character from one world to another by moving the appropriate files in the save folder.
Your character is stored with a location, inventory, skills, and other personal effects.  When you import a character, you have no idea where you'll end up in the new world!

You also need to make a character and then suicide or leave it, so there actually IS a world to import to.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8029 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »

Which files are those?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: October 16, 2013, 09:37:49 pm »

You don't need a jack to remove parts IIRC, just to replace tires. You could hack the tires off and put new ones on without a jack. No biggie.
To remove parts you need at least 2 skill in mechanics. At least in the build I snagged.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: October 16, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »

Which files are those?
The files used to be named after your character, but not it seems to be random for some reason.

(Randomletters).txt
(Randomletters).sav

The first contains your journal entries, and the second contains your character.

You may also need to bring:
(Randomletters).apu.txt Which contains your personal autopickup configuration (If you have a global pickup file instead, that's in your data folder).

artifacts.txt which holds the info on that world's artifacts. The game will crash if you load a character WEARING artifacts without this info (If wielded or in inventory they revert to NONE items with no other effect).

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8032 on: October 16, 2013, 11:51:53 pm »

Ah, thank ye kindly!

On a totally related note: there are racoons everywhere. Should I be concerned about any/all food?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: October 17, 2013, 12:29:46 am »

About that new warning when you go to butcher, that there are hostiles nearby?

Could we please have a config option to turn that warning off?  After a character gets a bit 'tough', I very regularly butcher in full view of other enemies.  Enough so I'm getting to dread having to hit B Y .... and it's even worse if the enemies are being noisy about being around.  Butchery turns into B Y I and really.... I miss the old days.

I put that in and initially I did have an option that could disabled the query altogether, but it turns out that butchering is getting reworked soon so that it will take a realistic amount of time; so you'd never want to do it with monsters around. Therefore the option was taken out. Also, it's based on SAFEMODE distance (regardless if you use safe mode or not), so just set that to a smaller value.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:57 am »

Could we please have a config option to turn that warning off?  After a character gets a bit 'tough', I very regularly butcher in full view of other enemies.  Enough so I'm getting to dread having to hit B Y .... and it's even worse if the enemies are being noisy about being around.  Butchery turns into B Y I and really.... I miss the old days.
I put that in and initially I did have an option that could disabled the query altogether, but it turns out that butchering is getting reworked soon so that it will take a realistic amount of time; so you'd never want to do it with monsters around. Therefore the option was taken out. Also, it's based on SAFEMODE distance (regardless if you use safe mode or not), so just set that to a smaller value.
Pretty much. Butchering will eventually be getting reworked to take a realistic enough amount of time that you will want a query for it (smashing, on the other hand, will be optimized to a single press of a button).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:06 am »

Pretty much. Butchering will eventually be getting reworked to take a realistic enough amount of time that you will want a query for it (smashing, on the other hand, will be optimized to a single press of a button).

Pulping is superior when you have a lot of corpses or enemies nearby to deal with anyway.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: October 17, 2013, 01:52:18 am »

Pulping is superior when you have a lot of corpses or enemies nearby to deal with anyway.
That's the goal! The big problem with pulping is really a user interface one. Hitting "smash" on a corpse 5-6 times to finish it off isn't very user friendly as composed to two presses for butchery.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: October 17, 2013, 01:57:06 am »

That's the goal! The big problem with pulping is really a user interface one. Hitting "smash" on a corpse 5-6 times to finish it off isn't very user friendly as composed to two presses for butchery.

Huh. I think that depends on a weapon. I have a Katana and a Sledgehammer, and not a significant amount of strength (Hydraulic Muscles installed aside), I pulp them in 1-2 hits very very often. Not always, but often. Although my primary zombie-killing method being familiarizing them with the hood of my armored car, that might be the answer.

Also, piling up zombies and setting the tile on fire.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:40 am »

I think I might've gotten the stuck weather bug.  Uhhh, with acid rain.

I think the rain's popped my ride's tires, too.  That's probably bad.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: October 17, 2013, 02:51:55 am »

I think I might've gotten the stuck weather bug.  Uhhh, with acid rain.

I think the rain's popped my ride's tires, too.  That's probably bad.

Save and reload sometimes changes the weather from acid rain back to normal rain, on my weather bug saves.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 1086