Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863230 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7995 on: October 16, 2013, 01:09:40 pm »

If you're having troubles with too much meat (though I can't imagine there being a thing as too much meat), remember that salt/salt water is your friend. Beef jerky galore: it's filling, lasts forever, and requires very little to make.

Actually, jerky is dreadfully under-filling, it has 18 nutrition, where cooked meat has 50. It's delicious, though (I tried it for the first time IRL yesterday and loved it... no such thing here).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: October 16, 2013, 01:13:40 pm »

Somebody should probably code in that you get more throwing experience from throwing stuff at creatures.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »

So I tweaked some options so that spawn density is down to 0, and spawns occur in-game rather than at start of game. MUCH better so far.

Found an abandoned gas station as first base of operations (look ma, no zombies!), then some kind of crash site where I piled all the metal debris together for later recovery, then cleared out a farm without getting hurt too bad. Almost the first evening, might even get a decent night's sleep.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: October 16, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »

From my experience, playing in a fairly high city density which often starts me with no shelter at all, the first thing you need is a shopping cart. High mobility and storage, and turns any doorway into a window. You can run through a store, using the / inventory manager to shove everything into the cart quickly, then take off, dragging your ill gotten supplies along with you. Eventually, you'll be able to get 8 carts, and make a mobile cart fortress.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7999 on: October 16, 2013, 01:28:14 pm »

If you set the spawn rate to 0, then later set it back to 1 or higher, will new areas spawn normally?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8000 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:53 pm »

So wait, did you still get zombies with a 0x multiplier?

hatgirl: Hearsay indicates yes. Can't say I've tested it myself though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: October 16, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »

Eventually, you'll be able to get 8 carts, and make a mobile cart fortress.

Eh? You can chain the carts together?
Feeling down? Click Here!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:20 pm »

Eventually, you'll be able to get 8 carts, and make a mobile cart fortress.

You can break them apart and weld them back together. Though, the ability to chain together 20 carts, attach a powered lawnmower to the back of em, and put a brick on the gas pedal would be excellent.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8003 on: October 16, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »

Keep in mind you can't push an infinite amount of weight. In fact, those 8 empty carts might be coming close to the limit. Wouldn't be able to store much, weight-wise.

Oh, and I imagine the controls would be too wonky- grab the wrong cart and you can't spin around.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: October 16, 2013, 02:00:45 pm »

@grendus: throwing rocks at bunnies is a great way to get throwing up. rocks are easy to find and there are unlimited numbers. throwing rocks is very useful in the early game to soften up opponents. plus you can do a fighting retreat. throw a few rocks, back up, grab some more.

it is critical to kill bunnies early because you need a survival of 1 (typically 20 butchers) in order to make a stone pot which is necessary for making clean water.
Or you could go to town, murder your way through hoards of zombies with a 2x4 (or even your bare hands; tai-kwon-do roughly translates to "zombie slaughter jutsu", trufax), and gorge yourself on leftover food and booze as one of the sole survivors of humanity in New England. I usually forget the whole "survivorman living off the wilds" trope, grab a weapon, and remind those zombies that life is for the living.

Keep in mind you can't push an infinite amount of weight. In fact, those 8 empty carts might be coming close to the limit. Wouldn't be able to store much, weight-wise.

Put in a 1 cylinder engine, gas tank, controls and a chair. Now you have a hobo Zamboni... a hoboni if you will.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:02:30 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: October 16, 2013, 02:02:39 pm »

Put in a 1 cylinder engine, gas tank, controls and a chair. Now you have a hobo Zamboni... a hoboni if you will.
Or just get foot pedals and ignore the gas tank!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:01 pm »

You can break them apart and weld them back together. Though, the ability to chain together 20 carts, attach a powered lawnmower to the back of em, and put a brick on the gas pedal would be excellent.

Does any form of 'enlarged shopping cart' work in an easily mobile fashion?

When I tried this, a couple weeks ago I think, whatever the newest experimental then was, my attempt to move this 'double cart' around was an utter failure.

No matter where I welded the extension onto the cart, side by side or front to back; within a few movements of grabbing and moving around, the cart 'twisted' to place a portion of it under my character and told me something along the lines of I couldn't drag something I was standing on, or 'twisted' in some other weird way that broke my grip on the cart so it was no longer being grabbed and dragged.  Didn't matter what angle I grabbed my cart from, even just trying to move the stupid thing in a straight line with direct pushing or pulling made it twist all weird and mess up motion.

What's the fix?  Symmetry or something?  I didn't try that, when a two-space cart failed, I didn't try a larger configuration.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: October 16, 2013, 02:12:06 pm »

I've dragged motorcycles, namely by grabbing the back wheel from directly behind and pulling in a straight line.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:39 pm »

Currently it's only stable if you pull in a straight-ish line.  There may be some weird heuristic way to make it work properly, by moving the component you're dragging to an appropriate square and rotating the rest of the conglomeration to match, but I haven't come up with a simple way to do that in code.
Also you can now 'G'rab some furniture and shove it around.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: October 16, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »

I found a cathedral, and located a small relic in the basement. Is that an NPC quest item, or is it something more nefarious/interesting?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 1086