Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863341 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7980 on: October 16, 2013, 08:47:58 am »

About that new warning when you go to butcher, that there are hostiles nearby?

Could we please have a config option to turn that warning off?  After a character gets a bit 'tough', I very regularly butcher in full view of other enemies.  Enough so I'm getting to dread having to hit B Y .... and it's even worse if the enemies are being noisy about being around.  Butchery turns into B Y I and really.... I miss the old days.
This is a tad annoying, yeah. I tend to butcher as I kill when I clear a town, but with all the interrupts now it's easier to just toss mollies and let the bodies burn. I guess it'd be okay if you're in safemode, but if you aren't and you try to butcher with enemies in sight, it's your own damn fault if you miscalculate the timing on it. Better than having to spam through twenty interrupts to make sure that dog isn't getting up again.

Redking: Heh, labs are not new-character-friendly. They're definitely on the higher tier of area difficulty, which is reasonable considering all the wonderful goodies you can find. I've lost seasoned gunslingers with a full complement of military bionics due to incaution. Well, incaution and running out of power for my superbullettime CBM. You're honestly rather lucky that you didn't encounter any pop-up surprises.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:00 am »

It's a waste everytime there are spiders attacking that all the numerous meat i can get from butchering all of them will be rotten in a day, cooked or not.

I noticed something refrigerators in some house, is it possible to use them to stock that food for when you'll need them in those to prevent their rotting ?
If yes, for how much time ?

And then how can you move those refrigerators to your base ? i can't seem to find any key to move/push this kind of item ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:57 am »

Refrigerators don't work.

When you get some skill, you can make canned meat using a glass jar, water, and meat, with heat as a tool.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: October 16, 2013, 08:54:54 am »

Too bad, oh well, finding water and meat does not put a problem in the current state of my game (those damned spiders spawning in my cleared town everyday) with all those pools and water around, heat is just a matter of setting fire to a bush, but glass jars are excessively rare in my game (found only 1 in the full town looting) .

I hope refrigerators will be made working in future version.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: October 16, 2013, 09:00:08 am »

Redking: Heh, labs are not new-character-friendly. They're definitely on the higher tier of area difficulty, which is reasonable considering all the wonderful goodies you can find. I've lost seasoned gunslingers with a full complement of military bionics due to incaution. Well, incaution and running out of power for my superbullettime CBM. You're honestly rather lucky that you didn't encounter any pop-up surprises.
This is not strictly true. The top level of labs are actually fairly secure if you can beat the turret that often occupies them, and is a pretty good place to set up.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:57 am »

This is not strictly true. The top level of labs are actually fairly secure if you can beat the turret that often occupies them, and is a pretty good place to set up.

You don't need to beat 'em, just turn off the flashlight. No light = no turret aiming.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:26 am »

Too bad, oh well, finding water and meat does not put a problem in the current state of my game (those damned spiders spawning in my cleared town everyday) with all those pools and water around, heat is just a matter of setting fire to a bush, but glass jars are excessively rare in my game (found only 1 in the full town looting) .

I hope refrigerators will be made working in future version.

Food is fairly easy to find in my experience. During the early game, don't bother hunting for meat, just collect existing food from houses and eat it in the order of spoilage (frozen food first, then breads, then fruits and veggies). You shouldn't need to hunt until summer, at least. From that point, meat is a good staple and you can find plenty just by hunting aggressive critters like spiders, wolves, and coyotes (I recommend against hunting moose or bears, they're killable but very tough). Collect wild fruits and veggies for variety, you can make those into broth, wood stew, fruit jam, etc. Refrigeration would be nice, but it's not strictly necessary.

You don't need to beat 'em, just turn off the flashlight. No light = no turret aiming.

Turn off the flashlight, then throw a grenade/pipe bomb where you know they are. No more turret.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:49 am »

@grendus: throwing rocks at bunnies is a great way to get throwing up. rocks are easy to find and there are unlimited numbers. throwing rocks is very useful in the early game to soften up opponents. plus you can do a fighting retreat. throw a few rocks, back up, grab some more.

it is critical to kill bunnies early because you need a survival of 1 (typically 20 butchers) in order to make a stone pot which is necessary for making clean water.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7988 on: October 16, 2013, 12:11:53 pm »

You don't need to kill bunnies, you can throw it at the ground in front of your feet.

Any butchering counts towards survival, so if you take the high-risk/reward of going straight to town with your new throwing powers you can butcher the zombies you slay. Using bunnies for target practice is a good idea if you plan on staying in the wilderness for a while.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: October 16, 2013, 12:51:02 pm »

How come the "Sound" part on the interface never changes from 0? Does it mean I'm never making any sound? Even when I smash windows, or I'm driving a bike, this thing seems to always stay at 0.

Edit:
Also, how fast does the save file balloon in size while exploring? I just got some cars/bikes working and wanted to go exploring a bit, but wanted to know how quickly this would get the save file to grow out of proportion?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »

In the old method, every map tile was a different .txt but it got rolled into a database.  It's WAY faster and doesn't bloat by any real means.  So don't be afraid to explore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »

I'm not exactly sure why we're supposed to take it seriously in the first place? More to the point, I'm not even sure how many people care about the story of what happened. Though by all means, act with the story you had in mind rather than the one they came up with if you want. I don't think it's all over the place, but then again, never dipped into fema camps and labs before, so no idea if there are story tidbits there or not.

It is actually quite disappointing.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:51 pm »

it is critical to kill bunnies early because you need a survival of 1 (typically 20 butchers) in order to make a stone pot which is necessary for making clean water.

The pale green bushes (in the ansii version, not sure what 'ripe' bushes look like in the tilesets) can be searched with e for fruit and vegetables (and maybe other things, but those and seeds are all I've found yet).

This search trains survival.  The ripe bushes in the fields seem to be easily searched, and only allow me one searching attempt but the forests are rife with underbrush; underbrush tends to be 'thick', as in I can search a same underbrush tile sometimes more than once - often more than twice.

If your focus is fairly high, a single forest tile's worth of underbrush can easily get you to around level 2 in survival.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: October 16, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »

If you're having troubles with too much meat (though I can't imagine there being a thing as too much meat), remember that salt/salt water is your friend. Beef jerky galore: it's filling, lasts forever, and requires very little to make.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

If you're having troubles with too much meat (though I can't imagine there being a thing as too much meat), remember that salt/salt water is your friend. Beef jerky galore: it's filling, lasts forever, and requires very little to make.
I actually rarely find much salt...
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 1086