Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863670 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7830 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:52 am »

*Boots up experimental build*

*Notices that car tilesets are completely mucked up and look like #'s*

*Notices lava is randomly flowing in the middle of town*.

*Deletes experimental build*

*Reboots stable build*
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:35:26 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: October 14, 2013, 11:18:40 am »

*Notices lave is randomly flowing in the middle of town*.

*Reboots stable build*
Ah, the joys of experimental versions.
But I'm pretty sure I've seen random-lava-in-towns in the stable builds before, so you were probably just unlucky.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:48 am »

*Notices lave is randomly flowing in the middle of town*.

*Reboots stable build*

Yeah cars are a work on progress for tile sets :P

I wouldn't say that is the best, I'd suggest playing with ASCII or Hoder's tile set.

Highlights I like: HEV suit equivalent, survivor gear(Protective and useful gear) another first aid book that raises skill to 6, more books, and other things.

Buuuut I can see why you would want to play stable version.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:59 am »

Also worth noting, vehicles seem to have internal temperature even if they have no sort of power - as long as the tile is "indoors" on the vehicle then it gets some temperature control.  You might be able to put together small 3x3 bunker-boxes of boards, doors, and roofs, allowing you to slip inside to warm up and make excursions into the terrifying cold.
You are one of our top experts at spotting exploits, thanks ^_^'
This will be addressed when vehicle-borne electricity management is working, which is crawling forward.
Sorted out some issues with battery stacking, soon vehicles will be populated with lead-acid batteries, then the fun can begin.
Addendum, something that SHOULD work and isn't exploit-y is dropping a big pile of blankets or similar on the ground and sleeping on them, you automatically burrow into the pile and get a warmth bonus as if you were wearing them.  Might look at doing this while waiting as well so you can do a bundle up type thing when you don't want to/can't sleep.
FYI, to count as inside, you need 5 frames and roofs, arranged in a '+', the center of which will count as "inside".  The perephial squares can be boards, doors, or any other impassable obstacle instead.
For climate control we really nead something like "sealed" in addition to "inside".  Inside really just implies "under a roof", but we're also using it to imply "sealed" right now, hence funny bugs like a golf-cart like thing with no sidewalls at all protecting you from smoke. (I think...)
Found something that should be a bug: When crafting a molotov, the bottle holding the whiskey doesn't count.  You need an empty glass bottle AND another bottle containing whiskey!
This is an issue with the crafting system, it basically doesn't handle containers properly.  It seems there was a TERRIBLE and hacky override specifically for molotovs at some point in the distant past, but as is common with hacky solutions, it bitrotted and doesn't work anymore.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: October 14, 2013, 11:23:51 am »

Yeah, I've seen the volcanic cracks in towns in stable as well.

No idea about the tilesets though, I don't use them.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: October 14, 2013, 12:03:23 pm »

Can you guys stop encouraging him? Remember, he takes this all as approval. Besides, derailing the discussion is just what he wants.

On topic, Cataclysm's kinda gotten a little hard to get into. I had a really good character with a safehouse, but he got lost when I decided to update. What's a good survival stratagem for the latest experimentals?
Scavenging on the outskirts of a town and eventually cleaning out a segment to make it safe, then proceed to clear out the rest of the town. Like usual.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

Can you guys stop encouraging him? Remember, he takes this all as approval. Besides, derailing the discussion is just what he wants.

On topic, Cataclysm's kinda gotten a little hard to get into. I had a really good character with a safehouse, but he got lost when I decided to update. What's a good survival stratagem for the latest experimentals?
Scavenging on the outskirts of a town and eventually cleaning out a segment to make it safe, then proceed to clear out the rest of the town. Like usual.

Debug menu helps :P

I'm a doity cheatah

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:41 pm »

Remember that every zombie killed is one less there is.  If you can't barge into town in one go and loot it, then go to the edge of town and attract a few zombies back towards safe areas, and take them out.  When you go back into town again, those zombies won't be there.  You can work a city into safety one kill at a time.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: October 14, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »

If you can make it through the early game then you'll be set for life so consider a strong melee build (Quick, 3 melee, 3 blunt, reasonable strength and dex). Pay for it with flaws and consider become choosing 'smoker' as cigarettes are plentiful and give you nice bonuses.Everything else can be developed later when you've picked up some skill books.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: October 14, 2013, 12:09:13 pm »

Well, I would suggest that as a strategy after the first day. Generally, I think it's good to make sure you can survive tangos with them first. Which means a good weapon and a few first aid kit charges at least.

Also, sleep in the basement of the shelter. I boarded up the windows of mine just in case.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: October 14, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »

Well, I would suggest that as a strategy after the first day. Generally, I think it's good to make sure you can survive tangos with them first. Which means a good weapon and a few first aid kit charges at least.

Also, sleep in the basement of the shelter. I boarded up the windows of mine just in case.

My character never wants to sleep there because the grounds too hard? Also it's dark?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »

A very decent weapon is the Knife Spear.  Take a point in Survival at start.  Step outside the shelter to get a rock.  Bash the shelter window and two lockers.  Cut up the sheet from the window into rags.  Craft the metal scraps from the locker into a spike.  You now have rags, a string, a stick, and a spike.  Craft all this into a Knife Spear.

For 1 skill point and some smarts, you can start with a very decent weapon.  If you don't mind editing the JSON for crafting, you can add "knife_spear" as a tool for crafting cooked meat and veggie as well.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: October 14, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »

I prefer crowbars as my thing, as they can open doors, but I'll certainly try making a knife spear.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: October 14, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

Crowbars have extra use as a tool, but I personally never use them to open doors or anything.  Windows work just fine.

Crowbar starts got slightly nerfed recently as "makeshift crowbar" was introduced, but they're still rather useful.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: October 14, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »

My character never wants to sleep there because the grounds too hard? Also it's dark?

You can find beds in houses, or craft them in your own custom base (it's under construction, not fabrication). You can also find cots and roll mats in sporting goods stores, military surplus stores, and pawn shops that make sleeping easier. Your character is more likely to sleep if he/she's tired, at a comfortable temperature, and not in pain or suffering from painful bite wounds. You can also take some Nyquil or Ambien if you can't sleep on the ground or need to sleep when you aren't tired to normalize your sleep cycle.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 1086