Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863818 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7770 on: October 13, 2013, 12:52:41 pm »

I have to ask, in the most recent experimental version, are vehicles fixed? I mean, NPCs are quite stable given that I've a BFF now and done quite a few missions for her (sans the random teleporting she does every save game-loadup or the lack of 'stay here until I return' order. I did like them going into the vehicle and riding with you if there was an extra seat) but vehicles...cause crashes after I start em up and make them move.

:/
Ok checked the vehicles. They're..crashing the game as soon as I get them to move. Anything else (like idling in the control seat or honking the horn/headlights) equal stability. Even customized vehicles or vehicles without any fuel to move are stable..

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: October 13, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »

And get a wolf suit.

Ah, I was wondering if wolf suits were still really good protection in this game.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: October 13, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »

And get a wolf suit.

Ah, I was wondering if wolf suits were still really good protection in this game.
100% coverage is the big thing, ANY attack landing on ANY part of your body is going to be strongly mitigated.  This seems to stack with other protective clothing as well, it's just very warm.  If you can wear it on top of your normal outfit, you become extremely resistant to every form of attack.

Just keep rags handy at all times - it takes all blows, so it gets ruined quickly.  Keep some rags and keep sewing, all the time.  You don't want it destroyed.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: October 13, 2013, 01:28:23 pm »

Double post to avoid adding to the quote above.

How often is the experimental build updated? Should I download that one, or compile from source to see the latest changes.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: October 13, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »

The experimental updates whenever some kind soul recompiles and updates whatever changes to the github.

Generally once a day.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: October 13, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »

Double post to avoid adding to the quote above.

I'd suggest in the future you don't even need to mention that in the double second only post you are making; your first post, or what you think is your first post, it won't be there very long and only the very newest readers will even slightly wonder why you double posted at the time - so I'd recommend do your duty then post again as if you hadn't even said a word - after all, you haven't once there's been time to remove the unacceptable from the thread.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: October 13, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »

How much electricity are the motors supposed to use?  Does it vary with speed?  I ask, because I slapped a large electric motor on my car with 3 storage batteries and 3 solar panels and the only time the stored potential ever decreases more than 1% is when I use the vehicle welder.  I haven't gone up to the vehicles max speed of ~240 mph to see if that increases the draw substantially, but I'm driving around at night and the fuel level barely decreases at all.  And it goes up to completely full when I stop the vehicle... at night.

Those solar panels shouldn't be able to continuously power my vehicle in the daytime, even.  3 panels produce 30% of one fuel unit, which I assume is a 'battery', per turn each.  Obviously .9 batteries can't accelerate an 1881 lb vehicle at 14 mph/t.

Maybe I'm just getting weird fuel levels because I have 3000 units of storage.  I can't decide whether its a bug, me being confused, or if the efficiency of electric motors is way out of whack.

Edit:  Numbers are all suspect since I pulled them from the wiki and not the code.
Real Edit: Except the vehicle weight and acceleration.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:37:46 pm by Rez »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: October 13, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »

Engines only consume fuel when they accelerate.  A lot of time for vehicles is spent coasting, especially at lower speeds, so yeah that's expected.  And if you're getting 1% of the bar on the vehicle's gauge, that's 1% of all the storage batteries, which are 1,000 each.  So if you've got 1 storage battery filling 1%, that's 10 batteries.  For 3 batteries, that's 30 batteries.

Solar power is pretty great, until you get a season-long rain.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: October 13, 2013, 04:01:32 pm »

That explains it a bit.  I took a trip across >75 overmap tiles and still only used 60-90 batteries, though.  I could circle the entire map 4 times without refueling at that rate.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: October 13, 2013, 04:09:57 pm »

The experimental updates whenever some kind soul recompiles and updates whatever changes to the github.

Generally once a day.
FALSE! The experimental is run by a bot, so it automatically will be updated within about 5 minutes of any change being made to the mainline on github.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: October 13, 2013, 04:20:23 pm »

The coder is also a robot?

...you didn't set it to kill, did you?

How else do you explain the landmine I just found in a grocery store. And by found, I mean stepped on. RIP.

On a now moot point, I found that wetsuits offer 100% coverage for a mere 1 encumbrance (dunno if they can be fitted, I found the mine before I could try). Decent protection, or junk?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: October 13, 2013, 04:27:44 pm »

It's assured softening of blows, but it doesn't have fantastic protection, so it's not very good as armor at all.  Pretty warm though, for its size you can wear one in winter instead of bulky furs.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: October 13, 2013, 04:40:57 pm »

Interesting. If I survive longer this run, I'll have to stash one.

I've discovered the fun of a martial arts character. Started with two points in unarmed and Taikwondo. I have literally gotten five attacks in a row without letting the zombie swing before, without stuns. It's pretty impressive.

Edit: and of course, having said that the RNG hands me two morningstars in the first pawn shop I raid. I was just looking for pants!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:49:57 pm by Grendus »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: October 13, 2013, 04:52:50 pm »

Edit: and of course, having said that the RNG hands me two morningstars in the first pawn shop I raid. I was just looking for pants!
My martial arts runs always begin with finding a zweihander, it seems...  I've just gotten into regular melee, and of course they never spawn.

For being entirely RNG, things do seem awfully skewed sometimes...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: October 13, 2013, 05:08:58 pm »

The Bionic Patient class in the experimentals is pretty cool. You are guaranteed Hydraulic Muscles and Metabolic Interchange (and Blood Analysis, but that's not very useful), meaning that you're a very strong person who, in exchange, needs to eat a bit more often (provided you turn the Muscles off when you don't use them).

With a small help from a fire I started in the window he was standing in, I took down a Brute backed up by a Spitter and one more zombie as a character with everything but Dodge at level 0 (the former at level 1), using just a Makeshift Crowbar.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1086