Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863820 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7695 on: October 12, 2013, 04:50:13 am »

The trolleys down near my home have a mesh lid that can be used to cover it, so...

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: October 12, 2013, 07:16:06 am »

Checking in on this project and WOAH has it come along way...

Although sadly no working NPCs yet?

Still working on my mega-gun project... Over 50 firearms added so far.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:14 am »

So, what are the changes to fire in the experimentals? In 0.8, the most powerful anti-brute weapon, at least in early game, turns out to be a shrub and a box of matches. I've tested that yesterday. I killed a brute without getting any damage. So, it might be kinda-sorta-OP-ish.

On the other hand, smoke, as it stands, is ridiculously, surreally toxic. If the game was consistent, a cigarette, the entire point of which after all is inhaling lungfuls of smoke, would be lethal. The way smoke propagation exacerbates the problem: I put a single piece of splintered wood into a brazier in a cathedral - the resulting smoke was around 14 tiles in diameter.

Smoke already carries a number of penalties: it limits your LOS, it makes you cough loudly - but it really shouldn't damage you. There's already the heat to worry about.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: October 12, 2013, 09:41:37 am »

Yeah, that's really annoying.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: October 12, 2013, 09:49:40 am »

Given that the zombies are kind of brain-dead stupid (they prefer to approach from an orthogonal direction, they will walk in a straight line towards you until they hit something, then try to smash it even if it's unsmashable like a wall), the way a shopping cart blocks them actually makes sense. Think of it like your character holding the cart between you and the zombie with one hand while swinging your weapon with the other. Smarter predators like spiders will try to path around the cart IIRC.

The only nerf they really need is that 'G'rabbing a cart should require one hand, so you should be restricted to one handed weapons when using one.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: October 12, 2013, 10:18:04 am »

The only nerf they really need is that 'G'rabbing a cart should require one hand, so you should be restricted to one handed weapons when using one.

You put one leg in the cart and jump with the other to propel yourself and the cart? I mean, I kinda wish this was canon, because the mental image is hilarious.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: October 12, 2013, 10:30:31 am »

You put one leg in the cart and jump with the other to propel yourself and the cart? I mean, I kinda wish this was canon, because the mental image is hilarious.

I like to steer with my knees.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My jaunt through google images led me to this, which seems appropriate for Cataclysm.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: October 12, 2013, 10:52:01 am »

So....
How much longer til we can strap solid booster rockets onto shopping carts?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: October 12, 2013, 11:16:12 am »

I love how completely sour all those people looking at the car in the cart are. It's like the mere existence of the sculpture offends them all to the core.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: October 12, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

I love how completely sour all those people looking at the car in the cart are. It's like the mere existence of the sculpture offends them all to the core.

It's all those homeless people and their Alpha Romeo's bought with welfare money that pisses off old people.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: October 12, 2013, 11:50:16 am »

Question: Do fungaloids and fungal zombies spawn dynamically even in static spawn mode? I keep finding both in areas I swear I've already cleared, and there are enough mature fungaloids that I know they haven't had time to move into the area. I literally cannot clear them away from any area... it's kind of frustrating.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7706 on: October 12, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »

Yes, only true zombies (and their associated specials, (boomer, spitter, hulk etc)) are affected by static spawns. Other things still work on dynamic-spawning populations, (triffids, fungaloids, moose).

-(though, moose don't have a population- they will keep spawning until you lie dead. And then they'll continue to spawn like the nightmare land-carp they are. You can NEVER kill all the moose.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:21:45 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: October 12, 2013, 12:41:57 pm »

I think something might be borked with changing tires in the latest (stable) version.  I have every tool I can carry on hand, and not only is the "change tire" option on vehicles greyed out, it doesn't give any message for what I'm missing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: October 12, 2013, 12:55:08 pm »

I think something might be borked with changing tires in the latest (stable) version.  I have every tool I can carry on hand, and not only is the "change tire" option on vehicles greyed out, it doesn't give any message for what I'm missing.
Even if it is then it's already been fixed in the experimental; vehicles have undergone a massive rewrite.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: October 12, 2013, 01:53:55 pm »

I wish pulsejets weren't just used in homebrew systems.  They are so cool.  On that note... pulsejet aircraft when 3d hits?
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1086