Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864025 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7575 on: October 09, 2013, 11:07:51 pm »

You can also cook with meat that is on fire, its rather silly.

I disagree. Killing animals with a molotov or flamethrower should just let you butcher straight to cooked meat. What a time saver!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:56 pm »

I think you just described the act of cooking, actually...

The act of burning it horribly more like  :P
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:58 pm »

We could always go into a fine process of having a different kind of meat for different critters and having different cuts from those critters of different base enjoyability, carefully de-boning the meats when necessary and making sure to properly tenderize it, then cooking it, keeping in mind your character has a randomly determined favorite cooking level that grants another enjoyment bonus that you have to carefully wait for and adjust the fire to get just right.

If you don't get everything right the meat becomes inedible. :P

We can call it Cataclysm, metal scrap chef edition.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:25:58 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:09 am »

I think you just described the act of cooking, actually...

The act of burning it horribly more like  :P

If you would set in on fire and extinguish it quickly, it wouldn't get burned.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:38 am »

Equilibrium isn't so much martial arts, as it is people who don't understand how guns work.  They're guns.  You're not supposed to hold them close enough that the other guy can yank it away.  They're guns.  Stand 200 yards back and shoot them!

Snap-shooting maybe, as he takes several accurate shots quickly, but even then not -really-.
In practical terms in an otherwise non-combat environment you're not really going to know whether or not to shoot someone until they're 5 metres away or so.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7580 on: October 10, 2013, 02:29:39 am »

Plus ninjas
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: October 10, 2013, 02:34:52 am »

Equilibrium isn't so much martial arts, as it is people who don't understand how guns work.  They're guns.  You're not supposed to hold them close enough that the other guy can yank it away.  They're guns.  Stand 200 yards back and shoot them!

Snap-shooting maybe, as he takes several accurate shots quickly, but even then not -really-.
In practical terms in an otherwise non-combat environment you're not really going to know whether or not to shoot someone until they're 5 metres away or so.
Just to quote some stuff:
(Regarding handguns) Firefights between cops and criminals averaged a distance of just 3 yards (3m). Only 5% of all gunfights take place at over 15 yards (14m) – with more than 80% below 7 yards (6.5m) and 50% under 2 yards (2m).
(Regarding longarms) In dense woods, jungles, and built-up areas like cities, engagement ranges drop to an average of only 25 yards (23m). Closequarters battle inside buildings is even shorter, typically at distances similar to handgun ranges: from point-blank to 7 yards (6.5m).

Damn ninjas.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7582 on: October 10, 2013, 03:14:22 am »

Cops v criminers != nbsi
Nor is it 'this guy has a gun and is probably dangerous'.

It's innocent till proven guilty, and that translates to shorter ranges when things escalate.

Statistics are bad MKay? And uncited statistics are downright evil.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: October 10, 2013, 03:29:53 am »

In an urban environment, the distances aren't going to be that big no matter what. Indoors, the distances aren't that big and the line of sight is often broken, so even with zombies it's going to be at most the diameter of a room you're in. Outdoors, zombies will come at you from behind corners, out of buildings, etc., and since you don't have X-ray vision and wall-penetrating bullets on hand, you cannot shoot them before they show up.

The only situation where you'll get actual long-range with zombies is where the line of sight allows for it, meaning plains, roads outside cities, and the such.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:23 am »

The only situation where you'll get actual long-range with zombies is where the line of sight allows for it, meaning plains, roads outside cities, and the such.
This is true, but your task as a tactician is to maximise the occurance of that situation whenever possible, so you lurk around the edges of a town drawing zombies out and killing them until the imediate area is clear, butchering them, then repeating. *shrug*

The key for exiting wait mode is '5', it should say so in a message when you start waiting, if it doesn't we need to make it so.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7585 on: October 10, 2013, 10:46:36 am »

Cops v criminers != nbsi
Nor is it 'this guy has a gun and is probably dangerous'.

It's innocent till proven guilty, and that translates to shorter ranges when things escalate.

Statistics are bad MKay? And uncited statistics are downright evil.
   No, the first thing he mentions is about cops. After that its says only 5% of ALL gunfights take place over 15 yards. The general engagement range is between 5 and 7 yards for average people. This is because where would you be shooting a person? Out in the street? No, its generally in a confined situation like a house or what have you. Long range combat only really happens in movies and wars where the "bad guys" are very clear. Also don't know what nbsi is standing for so I might be ranting for nothing, never seen the acronym or whatever it is.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: October 10, 2013, 10:50:05 am »

I'm assuming during the zombie apocalypse, it's pretty clear that anyone you see standing upright needs to be shot...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: October 10, 2013, 10:52:06 am »

"Not Blue Shoot It"
It's a videogame thing.

EDIT:
I'm assuming during the zombie apocalypse, it's pretty clear that anyone you see standing upright needs to be shot...
We were talking about how you said that you're not supposed to shoot people from close enough to have it taken from your hands.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: October 10, 2013, 11:18:55 am »

If we did end up making Gun-kata it would totally need to be INT based, since that's what Equilibrium lore says has happened, they basically figured out the "equations" that describe gun fights and are thus able to tell where bullets/targets are most likely going to be before they get there.

(That said I don't see it happening other then as somebody's mod :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:01 am »

You would need a shit ton of perception as well as int.

Edit: You know what? I think you would need a shit ton of EVERYTHING to perform Gun-Kata  :D
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 1086