Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860546 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7545 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:33 am »

Oh, didn't think of curtains. Makes sense for houses, but public buildings usually don't have any curtains.
Actually there are multiple types of windows in the game, and only house windows have curtains.

The main problem there, of course, is that many non-house buildings probably use house-curtains in the maps the game pulls from. That should probably be corrected, heh.

Also, I think you can actually remove the curtains without breaking the window from the construction menu. That might have only been discussed and not gone in though, I can't remember.

Overall it could use some improvements as to how it's handled, the whole thing is currently a bit of a hack with an interface that communicates poorly and some weird logic - but it's a hack that makes things a bit better than they were before in some ways, so most people don't care too much. Improvement would still be nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:24 am »

So spent a week or two on Terraria because updates.  Preparing to fetch the latest experimental, are bushes and vehicle damage changes yet, or any particular combat mechanics that got discussed?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:00 pm »

Vehicles vs bushes:
1. bush damage was dropped.
2. "indirect" damage falls off exponentially with distance from impact.
3. Collisions now have a "plow through" behavior where their momentum is more fully applied to the target as necessary, in my testing this meant that you only get stopped by bushes when you're moving at 10mph or less.  Ideally even that wouldn't happen with truly massive vehicles, still open to changes in that direction.
4. There's a "reinforced solar panel" item you can make now.

Combat: Martial art styles got a complete rework, and I think all of the fallout from that has been cleaned up.  This makes martial art handling more robust, since they're no longer a hacky pseudoitem, and also allows martial arts to be used while armed.  I don't think anything else fundamental has changed.  This is mostly save compatable, the exception is if you have a style that hasn't been reimplemented in the new system yet, in which case it'll disappear.  We will clean this up by 0.9.

You didn't ask, but it'll be relevant to your interests, very recently we had a major rework of vehicle construction that should make things act more rationally.
1. The only thing you can put in an open square is a frame.
2. Components are assigned a "location", which is roughly their position within a vertical slice of the vehicle.
2a. Components with the same location cannot be installed in the same square.
2b. There are some other reasonable rules, such as seatbelts require an anchor point.
3. This is save compatable, existing vehicles in your save should convert over.
One thing that fell out of this (the impetus for the rewrite actually) is that you can now install regular wheels under stuff, and install boards, etc over them.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:52 pm »

veeeeeeery interesting~  I'm curious about the martial arts now, especially when used with weapons.  Any more detail on that?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: October 09, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »

Scissors are the best, but with a few ranks in Tailoring you can start using a Butcher Knife instead, which is very convenient since you should always carry one of those.
Actually right now scissors and the knives function identically for cutting up fabric.

Combat: Martial art styles got a complete rework, and I think all of the fallout from that has been cleaned up.
There's still a bit more (namely right now descriptions of martial arts aren't ever displayed anywhere) but other then that it's pretty much done.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: October 09, 2013, 01:02:26 pm »

> Any more detail on that?
Lots: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3089.msg44367#msg44367

And yea, percieved differences in cutting effacacy are entirely imaginary, that should change soon-ish though with the tool use/quality framework that we're poking at now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:06:06 pm by azmodean »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:20 pm »

Scissors are the best, but with a few ranks in Tailoring you can start using a Butcher Knife instead, which is very convenient since you should always carry one of those.
Actually right now scissors and the knives function identically for cutting up fabric.
I'd beg to differ.  A Zweihander is a tool by definition, and usable to cut apart fabric, but I always got terrible results when doing so.  Butcher knives work well enough that I didn't carry around scissors, but all cutting tools are not equal, that I'm certain of.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: October 09, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »

I'd beg to differ.  A Zweihander is a tool by definition, and usable to cut apart fabric, but I always got terrible results when doing so.  Butcher knives work well enough that I didn't carry around scissors, but all cutting tools are not equal, that I'm certain of.
I just checked the code, it doesn't even check what kind of item it is while its determining the outcome.  All it cares about is tailoring skill, dex and volume and damage level of the target.
Human pattern matching, it's a hell of a drug.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: October 09, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »

Hmm, strange...  I'm fairly certain I saw a difference when trying to cut up sheets...

Either way, the change to martial arts look fantastic.  Is there a compiled list of what's been changed to the new model and how the styles work?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: October 09, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »

Coward style sounds fun. Rock in a sock and a hat with 'Wizzard' compliments it nicely.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:49 pm »

Can I assume any closed doors are automatically "locked"? Meaning, zombies will have to bash them down to get in?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »

Can I assume any closed doors are automatically "locked"? Meaning, zombies will have to bash them down to get in?
Yes.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: October 09, 2013, 02:54:25 pm »

I think the word you're looking for is "latched".
I actually want to make it where forcing doors has a chance of breaking the latch, so that zombies (or even dogs or other animals) could just push them open, but that's waiting on a door handling rework, because I don't want to make a new door type just to represent that, need flags we can assign to doors :P

The thread I linked is the most complete documentation for it other than trawling through the code or martial arts config file (that's right, you can add your own now)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »

Martial arts looks cool but now I can't see the different style bonuses (without checking the JSON's), not even in selecting a new character.

EDIT: I wonder when someone will mod in gun-kata :P And does the game check when on-hit buff's are applied in melee or ranged?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:45:58 pm by Sharp »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: October 09, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »

Martial arts looks cool but now I can't see the different style bonuses (without checking the JSON's), not even in selecting a new character.

EDIT: I wonder when someone will mod in gun-kata :P And does the game check when on-hit buff's are applied in melee or ranged?
Yeah missing descriptions is one of the few MA things that still needs to be fixed in the new system. I'm not sure if on-hit buffs are checked with ranged attacks, I think they only trigger in melee at the moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1086