Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866858 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7275 on: October 03, 2013, 04:08:28 am »

I found a crate full of explosives just sitting on the side of the road. Should I be scared that the RNG is being so generous for once?
Nope. Go raid some military bunkers. Bust open the rooms with more explosives in them first. Live like a king. Explosives are your skeleton key in Cataclysm.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7276 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:40 am »

To be fair its the skeleton key in real life as well but society frowns upon it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 03, 2013, 07:07:02 am »

Also is it possible to make the viewable area bigger? There's a certain point where enemies are too close so it no longer shows them on the N/S/E/W thing at the top.... but I can't yet see them in the viewable area so I have no idea where they are. I tried adjusting the viewport in the options but that just seemed to make the whole window bigger, not add more viewable tiles.

Edit: nevermind, changing the viewport does add more tiles, but it also makes the black bar bigger so you don't get all the new tiles as viewable area so it does not help much. Setting the sidebar to narrow didn't seem to make it any narrower it just squished everything to the top

Edit2: it did make it narrower, I guess, just not much. I guess I just need a bigger screen

In addition to that, if you're using the default tileset, you're then probably using the one made by Deon, that has bigger tiles, that then makes the field of view rather short because you have less tiles fitting the view as they're all individually bigger... unless you're playing on a huge monitor.

You can try to switch off the tileset in the game interface options to play with ASCII, or edit the gfx.txt file from \cddasdl-v0.8\data\  to change the tileset to Hoder's one , both the ASCII and the Hoder's version have very small sized tile, giving then a larger field of view.
Of get Jack's tileset, very nice and small tiles too :
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3468.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:09:53 am by Robsoie »

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 03, 2013, 08:46:20 am »

Where is the best place to find "Robots for fun and profit"? Searched eight libraries and not a single one had it. Only copy I found was in mansion's library and is now somewhere in the middle of endless ant infested forest.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 03, 2013, 09:02:27 am »

Where is the best place to find "Robots for fun and profit"? Searched eight libraries and not a single one had it. Only copy I found was in mansion's library and is now somewhere in the middle of endless ant infested forest.

Well, you basically answered your own question - mansion library. I found the only one so far in there too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:50 am »

Scientist corpses have them too sometime.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: October 03, 2013, 10:07:20 am »

Nifty trick exploiting my pyromania: you can set a house on fire for a very very good distraction. As the house burns, it makes massive amounts of noise as the parts of it collapse into rubble, attracting zombies to the location for some nice BBZ, allowing you to flee into general direction of 'the fuck out of here'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:11 am »

The gameplay reason for skill rust is to throttle progression, so that skills don't just progress monotonically and eventually reach ludicrous levels.  Other systems use levels and skill points to make skill/ability acquisition an explicitly 0-sum situation, use-based skill gain with rust makes skill acquisition implicitly 0-sum by requiring high skills to be maintained, therefore making them contend with each other for time spent maintaining them.  That having been said, pretty much nobody likes the implementation we have, especially due to the IMO poor decision to make skill rust optional, which makes it nearly impossible to get good feedback on it.  The plan going forward was linked earlier, and once someone gets around to implementing that, we'll be starting from a clean slate and can hopfully tweak that as desired to make a system that people at least don't hate.  Balancing a progression system is inherently problematic, because once modifying the system is on the table, there is always going to be a certain amount of feedback that says progress should be easier/faster.

Someone mentioned a triffid sting, I'd personally love to drop "classic triffids" into the game that act like the book, possibly booting the current "triffid" pretenders off their name.

The Granade
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 03, 2013, 11:04:48 am »

I did that a long time ago. The house pretty much exploded before I got out, essentially incinerating me.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 03, 2013, 11:09:20 am »

I remember skill rust getting to the point where you would have to read a book or use the skill nonstop until you died of thirst/hunger just to stay in place. That's bad. It's not good in a game and it's not true to life. I have yet to turn it on since whalesdev. The other option of losing skill down to the nearest whole integer was reasonable.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:50 am »

I'm still not getting why skill rust in any form is fun? What does it add to the game besides chores? I mean, you learn X and get distracted, so you forget precisely how to do X but not entirely how to do X.... so you grind up trivial stuff so you can do X again. It's busywork to allow you to do what you could already do.

As much open revolt happens around here when there's any form of grinding in any other game, the ambivalence in this case puzzles me.

I'd make things more difficult or interesting to learn instead of a rust system. Put more book-equivalent schematics and things in labs, bunkers, caves. That way you couldn't spontaneously figure out how to manufacture geiger counters by playing with radios for a couple days. Toss the superscience stuff in labs, weapon-based stuff in bunkers, survival schematics in LMOE or FEMA camps, medical techniques in Dr. offices or hospitals, specialized vehicle installation techniques in garages or maybe gas stations....
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: October 03, 2013, 11:24:59 am »

Many more schematics, blueprints, recipes etc. would be welcome. For a start, shifting the majority of the cooking recipes into actual recipe books makes a lot sense to me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:26 am »

I'm still not getting why skill rust in any form is fun? What does it add to the game besides chores? I mean, you learn X and get distracted, so you forget precisely how to do X but not entirely how to do X.... so you grind up trivial stuff so you can do X again. It's busywork to allow you to do what you could already do.

As much open revolt happens around here when there's any form of grinding in any other game, the ambivalence in this case puzzles me.

It's a survival game, so a certain amount of realistic grinding and challenge is part of the game. Sort of like how having to gather and prepare food constantly isn't 'fun' per se, and extremely grindy, but it fits the survival aspect of the game well. Skill rust should mean that if you haven't done something in a while that you have a greater chance of failure. Not a big deal if it's something minor and even wasting materials is fine because you have tons. But very important when you're trying to do something delicate that you can't afford to fail at. Practicing your skills to make sure you're in top shape before risking your only [rare thing] does kind of make sense.

I do like the idea of having more things rely on having either examples to work from or reference books, though. I'm a pretty good cook, but I still bust out the recipes for most dishes just so I don't forget something. Not necessary, but it certainly helps. Hmm...maybe give a bonus to the success chance if you have a reference book with that recipe in it handy?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:36 am »

I find skill rusting so fun that i always disable it in the option for any new game/character.
But there's certainly other players that like this, so in the end it's completely fine to have an option for this.
Ideally there should be more options for anything so the player could "tailor" the games rules to his liking

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:37 am »

I find skill rusting so fun that i always disable it in the option for any new game/character.
But there's certainly other players that like this, so in the end it's completely fine to have an option for this.

I disable it too, since I don't like how it currently works. But I'm not opposed to the idea in theory.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 1086