Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1827247 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7050 on: September 30, 2013, 11:00:48 am »

My character is going quite well. I've secured the northern portion of a riverside town, and have been making great strides in learning how to make stuff. The only gas station and hardware stores are pretty deep in the town, though, so I haven't been able to do all that much with the garage I've liberated. Other than the failed Spike Cart project.

How good are survivor suits? They seem reasonably effective looking, based on the stats, and I do have everything I need to make one. Just not sure if it's worth it or not.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7051 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:33 am »

Depends on if they can be fitted or not- otherwise it's 2 encumbrance to the arms legs & torso.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:43 am »

best way to find a car with all parts? :O)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: September 30, 2013, 11:12:25 am »

I just know something horrible is about to happen. I found a mansion my previous char cleared out (along with his corpse, butchered to retrieve bionics), it's reasonably close to a river (i.e. a short walk) to the south, and to the north begins a forest. I have a good supply of meat and clean water now that I managed to make a pot. I also have a couple of libraries to my disposal.

I predict a migration from a swamp to the east. Or a horde of angry moose. As in, a horde of a single, pissed of moose. One moose is already a horde in this game.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: September 30, 2013, 11:14:01 am »

Survivor suits have very nice stats - not had a chance to use one, but the numbers look very nice.  Extremely high protection and MASSIVE storage, covering the torso and legs, that's a big plus.

@teoleo - to find an intact vehicle, don't look in cities.  You'll find wrecks in cities, rarely fully functional, but nearly every vehicle you find on long roads are intact.  If you're in a city, you should particularly look for odd bits of highway that are generated when the road doubles back, or solid 4 tiles of road - when it's done in certain ways it'll treat it as a city road and spawn a vehicle, but treat it as a highway and spawn the vehicle intact.  It's a quirky bug-feature but if you know where to look, you can get lucky.

Also, parking lots, garages, and public works can spawn them.  Parking Lots include those nearby mines or sewage plants too.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7055 on: September 30, 2013, 11:20:11 am »

I'm out svving right now, but I may have the resources to make a light suit & check it out when I get back.

Question: what are it's material properties? (kevlar/leather/cotton etc?)

Also: it would be nifty if moose text was updated with a little forboding flavor- 'It looks at you with hunger in it's eyes' kind of thing.
#moosefanboy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:22:59 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:55 am »

Ok, well, seems like it might be worth making one and testing it out. There is only one component I don't have a spare of (the tool rig? Can't check right now as I'm at work) so it's probably not a big deal if it turns out to be a bust. And it certainly sounds good.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:49 am »

I just know something horrible is about to happen. I found a mansion my previous char cleared out (along with his corpse, butchered to retrieve bionics), it's reasonably close to a river (i.e. a short walk) to the south, and to the north begins a forest. I have a good supply of meat and clean water now that I managed to make a pot. I also have a couple of libraries to my disposal.

I predict a migration from a swamp to the east. Or a horde of angry moose. As in, a horde of a single, pissed of moose. One moose is already a horde in this game.

I forgot to mention that just outside my mansion is a helicopter wreckage, so I have a fuckton of scrap metal, too. Tis a fun game when you are more terrified when game does not screw with you than when it does.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7058 on: September 30, 2013, 12:13:26 pm »

Mk, I'm back, but I've gotta go out again- need more rags and a spare raincoat. I also won't be able to reinforce it- remembered I had to leave that second kev vest behind the locked bunker door, so I've only got the one.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed something: on comparing RL mossberg 500 & remington 870, found mention of a part called a 'disconnector' and an ability called 'slamfire'. Figured I'd mention it as a suggetion on here and maybe tweak some stats for it, but then when I inspected the shotguns again I noticed they had a 3-burst mode. Sounds like it's already been heard of! :D
Badges of honor

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: September 30, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »

Metal arrows not worth it- heavy wooden's where it's at. Must have an 80% survive chance, nearly as good as metal arrows and only about twice the weight of wooden. Oh, and they're accurate as hell. I still keep a stack of wooden for spitters & the like, but yep.

Wait till you see the explosive arrows. Figured I'd keep ~3 on my person & emulate green arrow...but when I made them I found they weigh 9lbs a pop. O_O

I think I'll take a compromise. Metal arrows have great armor penetration and damage, I'd rather have them around for dealing with brutes, hulks, shockers, and mechs. Plastic arrows do only a little less damage than heavy wooden, they mostly sacrifice armor penetration which is unnecessary against small game and basic zombies, but are extremely light and accurate. Plus I can make them in the field with a simple plastic mold and a few shredded raincoats, umbrellas, or glasses.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: September 30, 2013, 01:19:03 pm »

Also: it would be nifty if moose text was updated with a little forboding flavor- 'It looks at you with hunger in it's eyes' kind of thing.
That would be neat.

Also, to whoever was talking about dogs, dogs rarely attack you, but they can occasionally and thus trigger Safe Mode. You can tame them with food, I think.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: September 30, 2013, 01:23:34 pm »

Does seem odd that you have to specifically use dog food, though, when in my experience dogs are pretty happy eating most things. Chunks of meat should work just fine as well.

Granted, they're not THAT helpful to have around right now. They'd be better if they could be trained.
Come play Mafia with us!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: September 30, 2013, 01:42:37 pm »

Granted, they're not THAT helpful to have around right now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: September 30, 2013, 01:50:26 pm »

Human Nature: Making the apocalypse more horrifying than Eldritch horrors since 10,000 B.C.!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7064 on: September 30, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »

I have returned.

Light survivor suit: Can be fitted. Reinforced with a soldering iron/kevlar plates, (hard to do, but means it's likely durable). It is rainproof.

Here's stats for my own kit to compare:
Also, fuck me to tears I tried looking into making it easier to compare, but these stats just aren't graph-friendly, (alternate values depending on chances? yeah..)
Before:

After:

Alternative:

Overall it looks like it's slightly less avantageous if one's trying to keep encumbrance & weight low. But, for maximizing storage, the alternate's likely the preferred setup.

Also, a key advantage to the survivor suit is being rainproof- if it's raining out, one would be adding 1+1 encumbrance to both the torso & arms, 3 weight, and 9 volume while it's in storage. Though it provides bonus protection & 7 additional storage while it's worn.

Other topics:
Plastic arrows v heavy wood v metal:
Weight .2v1.6v9.7
Dam 8v12v14
Pen 1v5v7
Range 12v8v10
Dispersion/accuracy (higher is worse) 15v4v4

Biggest advantages to plastic are how light they are, range & ease of making them. However, aside from stats, (dam,pen,acc), I maintain the retrieval rate of heavy arrows is phenomenal. Check them out some time & see for yourself. A stack of 20 lasts for a long time, weigh little, and damage/penetration/accuracy are top-tier.
Oh hey, and 8 range isn't something to sneeze at- wood arrows clock in at 7.

Dogs:
I imagine they'd only be useful around a base, or if one scavenges primarily in lightly-populated areas/has a low spawn density. Otherwise the dogs'd just get mobbed after kamikaze-charging.
Also, can they indeed be tamed?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:07:27 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 1086