Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1829147 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6930 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:19 pm »

it's detracting from gameplay experience and making a very large part of the game totally unworkable.

I have to agree with this. Cata is the only game I really want to play right now, and it's getting to the point that DF is, where I feel like I'm spending more time playing around annoyances in order to have fun, than playing to have fun. That only happens because once you put the time and effort into getting mobile, you also spend a lot of time moving around having to deal with how finicky vehicles are to actually get anywhere. The rest of the game is pretty engaging (and bionics are awesome), but you simply spend so much time in vehicles that the sore spot really stands out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: September 28, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »

All realism aside, it's detracting from gameplay experience and making a very large part of the game totally unworkable.

I'm doing better than I expected driving through fields, but it can't reliably be done in a vehicle larger than the default cars, and certainly slows down your traveling.  I found that bushes can be safely run over, but the point of contact can't be a wheel, and you have to be moving at least 35mph, and the stars have to be in just the right alignment.  And of course, if you happen to sideswipe a bush, especially if you're turned like 45 degrees, abandon all hope of moving without getting out to knock the offending bush down with your bare hands.

Yeah add my name to the list of people saying this pointless change sucked a lot of fun out of the game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: September 28, 2013, 10:56:34 pm »

I believe we can pretty much agree here that the size of the bush, the toughness of tires, and the weight of vehicles is actually totally irrelevant.  The bottom fact is that you cannot drive vehicles through fields because of bushes, and you cannot drive them through streets because of debris.  This is no longer fun, and the game has lost appeal.  All realism aside, it's detracting from gameplay experience and making a very large part of the game totally unworkable.

I hadn't driven in game for a pretty long time.  I finally tried to again.  I had great luck getting an elongated motorcycle through fields, even with a driving skill that had barely worked its way up to 1.  Granted, I kept my speed to 30 MPHish.

Then, while turning, I broadsided a bush - the side of my loooong turning bike collided with the bush.  There was a collision, but my vehicle was not stopped by it.  I nervously stopped and checked it over - no damage, at least not enough to appear damaged or allow me to repair it.

A bit later I rammed a full sized blob at about 30-40 mph.  Massive damage to blob, but it was not killed, just thrown some distance.  I wasn't thrown off the bike, but the bike took massive damage - the front wheel went from perfect to destroyed, with some lesser damage to the first and second front end structures.

I tell you, finding and then painfully, slowly, very-interruptedly changing that bike's wheel in the middle of an area just 5 map squares from a fungal spire required much patience   ::)

So I'm tentatively wondering if broadsiding things with a very thin part of your vehicle is safer than ramming or broadsiding it with a thicker one, and a bit later I'll try to test that when I have time
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: September 28, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »

So I'm tentatively wondering if broadsiding things with a very thin part of your vehicle is safer than ramming or broadsiding it with a thicker one, and a bit later I'll try to test that when I have time

It's not the damage that's the problem, there usually isn't any.  It's the way your vehicle is usually stopped cold, and if in a bad position then cannot move at all.  Because of a terrain feature that used to be negligible for vehicles, and can still be knocked down with a couple swings on a pipe.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: September 28, 2013, 11:22:59 pm »

The reason I don't use vehicles

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: September 28, 2013, 11:26:40 pm »

It's times like this that I'm glad that I don't survive long enough to become mobile unless I've blown twelve characters clearing out the zeds.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: September 29, 2013, 12:58:21 am »

The tileset I was making is playable, now, so I decided to release it for download.
Here's a screenshot if you didn't see earlier in the thread:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a download link: Mediafire DL
Just throw that into the gfx folder and then add this to the gfx.json:
Code: [Select]
#JACK'S TILESET
JSON: gfx/JackTileset/tile_config.json
TILESET: gfx/JackTileset/jtiles.png
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:58:16 am by Jack_Bread »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: September 29, 2013, 01:15:57 am »

It looks quite nice. Personally, I preferred it without the outline, and the water looks somewhat out of place; otherwise, it looks great. I might give it a try.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: September 29, 2013, 02:12:09 am »

It looks quite nice. Personally, I preferred it without the outline, and the water looks somewhat out of place; otherwise, it looks great. I might give it a try.
Yeah, I was going to have it with no outlines, but I was having a problem with some things not being very visible against certain tiles. People told me to add black outlines and I thought it looked good.
I can actually easily remove the outlines, though, as I have them on a different layer. But then it would be hard to see dog, for example, on dirt.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: September 29, 2013, 02:29:38 am »

I like the outlines. They make things more visible.

Also, I' having difficulties making a makeshift spear. I have a spike, some rags, a heavy stick and 3ft of string, but I can't seem to be able to make one.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: September 29, 2013, 05:21:17 am »

Is there any way to get duct tape by taking an item apart? I feel pretty dumb after I discovered that you can make rags by cutting stuff up with the pocket knife literally yesterday, and duct tape is pretty damn useful.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: September 29, 2013, 05:31:49 am »

There's a disassemble key, though I can't recall what it is.  I think, like, ( or something - check the wiki.

I built a bunch of turrets on a vehicle and mounted one on a custom-built cart, but neither will fire, even after I set them to burst mode via controls.  Am I missing something?  Do I actually have to stock them up with ammo, or something?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:09 am »

There's a disassemble key, though I can't recall what it is.  I think, like, ( or something - check the wiki.

I built a bunch of turrets on a vehicle and mounted one on a custom-built cart, but neither will fire, even after I set them to burst mode via controls.  Am I missing something?  Do I actually have to stock them up with ammo, or something?

I know, 'D'. But, what can I use it, or knife, or anything, on, to get duct tape?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: September 29, 2013, 06:16:59 am »

I haven't played for a while now.
Are NPCs still bugged to the point of 'don't turn them on'?

If so, is there any way to learn new martial arts skills yet ingame, without NPCs?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: September 29, 2013, 06:33:19 am »

I haven't played for a while now.
Are NPCs still bugged to the point of 'don't turn them on'?

If so, is there any way to learn new martial arts skills yet ingame, without NPCs?
Kind of, no.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 1086