Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866801 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6885 on: September 28, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »

I love starting out with random characters. it is like a lottery.

Sounds like you could make a successful thread out of it.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: September 28, 2013, 03:46:09 pm »

Well, my spiked Shopping cart experiment is a bust so far. The spike always gets moved towards your side when you try to push or pull it. I'm going to try moving it to the other side of the cart to see if that matter, but I have a feeling it won't because you seem to turn the cart whenever you grab it. And you can't push/pull to cart when a part is in your square.

The side spikes work as far as pushing/pulling goes, but that's a bit hard to use and I haven't had a chance to hit anything with them yet. Shame. Maybe if I attach two carts together so that I'm at the far end of the spike? That might work.

Need to find more batteries for my welder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice :)

Sadly, the experiment ends in failure. The Spike Cart does no damage when you run into a monster with it. Although it does stop them in place pretty well.

Guess I'll turn it into a Spikecycle. Need to find a steel chain, though. I don't seem to know how to make those. Can you?

Yes, you can, but it takes 9 skill in fabrication.

That's the same as a katana.

That's insane. If this was steel chainmail, I could understand, but ordinary chain? Although, it IS made of steel, and making steel takes some effort, but still.

I love starting out with random characters. it is like a lottery.

Cool idea, I'll try it out.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: September 28, 2013, 03:46:46 pm »

The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away.  After badmouthing this game for the dozen or so absolutely atrocious starts I had with Static Spawn, I finally tried one more time.

Found a woodaxe on one of the first zombies I killed, found a backpack in the first house I broke into, and in a remarkably sparsely populated neighborhood, I found... A fully functional electric car.

I mean, I'm still irked over the whole "ungodly hordes of specials right outside the shelter" thing, but at least I'm going places now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: September 28, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

That's insane. If this was steel chainmail, I could understand, but ordinary chain? Although, it IS made of steel, and making steel takes some effort, but still.
Chainmail is actually remarkably easy to make, just time-consuming.  The main thing about steel chain is that it's not an actual chain.  It's more like a bike chain.
This is what goes on bicycles and chainsaws.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: September 28, 2013, 04:11:47 pm »

Chainmail is actually remarkably easy to make, just time-consuming.  The main thing about steel chain is that it's not an actual chain.  It's more like a bike chain.

My best friend's brother used to make chainmail, so I know it's not rocket science, I COULD understand if it was for balance purposes (I can imagine the zombies trying to chew on chainmail. It's a somewhat amusing mental image.).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: September 28, 2013, 04:32:06 pm »

I just died stood in a locked room on my own... I have no idea how.
It was like I was being attacked, but there was no way something could have been attacking me. I kept blocking with my wood axe, and the console kept telling me how it was trying to spawn a monster on top of another monster.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:46:32 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: September 28, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »

My best friend's brother used to make chainmail, so I know it's not rocket science, I COULD understand if it was for balance purposes (I can imagine the zombies trying to chew on chainmail. It's a somewhat amusing mental image.).

If what Girlinhat said is correct, it makes sense. It takes decently advanced metalworking just to make good steel, and stuff like bicycle/saw chain takes a lot of precise machining work. It's not just oval links.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »

I do make chainmail.  All you need is a metal pipe for making coils, some wire to form into coils, bolt cutters to cut the coils into rings, and pliers to shape the rings closed.  Depending on the gauge of wire, this can even be done bare-handed, using only a pipe or rod, wire, and cutters - one long-time mailer I saw on youtube had a set of welding gloves that he'd put a small metal plate on the thumb, over the fingerprint area, using that to bend the metal so that it didn't dig into his finger.  It's REALLY not hard.

Actually, if we count 'metal tongs' as 'pliers' then we have all the tools needed for making it already.  Rebar, wire, bolt cutters, tongs, and welder.  You'd craft the wire into bundles of rings easily enough, then craft the rings into sheets with a very low skill requirement, but a very long crafting time, and then treat the ring-sheets as rags or leather patches, and use them to fashion large clothing.  It could be repaired with a soldering iron and 'handful of rings'.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: September 28, 2013, 05:06:19 pm »

I do make chainmail.  All you need is a metal pipe for making coils, some wire to form into coils, bolt cutters to cut the coils into rings, and pliers to shape the rings closed.  Depending on the gauge of wire, this can even be done bare-handed, using only a pipe or rod, wire, and cutters - one long-time mailer I saw on youtube had a set of welding gloves that he'd put a small metal plate on the thumb, over the fingerprint area, using that to bend the metal so that it didn't dig into his finger.  It's REALLY not hard.

Actually, if we count 'metal tongs' as 'pliers' then we have all the tools needed for making it already.  Rebar, wire, bolt cutters, tongs, and welder.  You'd craft the wire into bundles of rings easily enough, then craft the rings into sheets with a very low skill requirement, but a very long crafting time, and then treat the ring-sheets as rags or leather patches, and use them to fashion large clothing.  It could be repaired with a soldering iron and 'handful of rings'.

I know, I've read your thread. Nice work, by the way. The one I've seen before was fairly simplistic.

But, back on topic: so, I managed to spawn near a mansion, reasonably clear it out, board up a bedroom to live in... all in all, life seemed good. THEN A FUCKING MOOSE DECIDED TO MURDER THE SHIT OUT OF ME FOR NO REASON.

Seriously, Moose, what is your problem? Are you pissed off nobody knows the plural of your name?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: September 28, 2013, 05:09:55 pm »

But, back on topic: so, I managed to spawn near a mansion, reasonably clear it out, board up a bedroom to live in... all in all, life seemed good. THEN A FUCKING MOOSE DECIDED TO MURDER THE SHIT OUT OF ME FOR NO REASON.

Seriously, Moose, what is your problem? Are you pissed off nobody knows the plural of your name?

Always having a hand-cannon tucked away on your belt is not only a good idea but the American way! If your not strapped with a hand-cannon then your a pinko commie or a terrorist!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: September 28, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »

Found my first Zombie Hulk. Honestly, it wasn't all thatOHMYGODITSMASHEDTHELIBRARY!

I'm alive, but a little more wary.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: September 28, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »

I got into a church, cauterised my wounds, prepared to rest up, couldn't find a 'wait' button, and then walked too close to a wall or something because ALL OF THE ZOMBIES AT ONCE CAME POURING IN OH GOD.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: September 28, 2013, 05:23:22 pm »

Had my first experience with acid rain. That stuff HURTS! Didn't take too much damage, but had to dip into my supply of prescription narcotics. Did wipe out all the nearby zombies though, which was kind of interesting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »

I got into a church, cauterised my wounds, prepared to rest up, couldn't find a 'wait' button, and then walked too close to a wall or something because ALL OF THE ZOMBIES AT ONCE CAME POURING IN OH GOD.

Light fuse and get away. Let them burn in the cleansing fire of GAWD!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: September 28, 2013, 05:40:07 pm »

| to wait btw. (that's shift plus \)
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1086