Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866904 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6825 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:57 pm »

Here's a fun one. Wearing a fur hat, scarf (the one with animal pelts), and ballistics glasses in 54 F weather. In the time it took me to craft a gas mask, I got .... frostbite... on my face (for you metric folk, 54 F is 20 degrees above freezing. a bit chilly, long pants weather).

I had been stumbling around in a -3 F lab with a chilly face for some time... but with a filter mask on and nothing other than chilly face notifications.

I've heard this mentioned before, but not in a while.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: September 27, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »

Yeah, the temperature system is completely screwed, and has much more to do with the weather and season than the thermometer you get.  In summertime, wearing even one piece of clothing leads to morale-destroying heat, when it's like 87 F.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: September 27, 2013, 11:39:19 pm »

It settled itself once I took a nap for the night (bed in the cab of my custom tank-van), so it's not all that bad.

Unrelated: I had forgotten the utterly absurd amounts of batteries you find by looting labs. Good god. It makes a an extra-battery UPS look feasible to use. Time to bust out that laser rifle, eh?

Also... we need a bionic that can interface your internal batteries to more than just power armor. booze-and-pants-fueled laser rampages would be pretty awesome.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: September 27, 2013, 11:42:42 pm »

I'm poking around a Cathedral and getting a lot of debug error messages ("no such zombie at -coordinate- and such") that seem related to zombies following me up stairs.
Yeah, it's from zombies going up/down stairs. I've been messing around a lot in debug mode and it's really annoying going from city to underground with a bunch of zombies chasing you. :\

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: September 27, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »

Claws act as a weapon, So I think no.

Bah. Guess I'll just wait and see if I can win some proper claws from mutation roulette then. I always get robust genetics just in case but never seem to find any mutagen.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:02 am »

never seem to find any mutagen.

You could always cook some up. It's cooking 8 for generic and 9 for specialized, and most of the ingredients aren't that hard to find. You can get a lot of cooking skill from just purifying water in an RV with loads of plastic jerrycans filled up from a pool or river.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: September 28, 2013, 12:08:06 am »

I recently DLed this, and I've been having lots of fun with it, but it always seems that as soon as I get a char rolling I get wiped by something stupid.  Any tips for a for a C:DDA noob?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: September 28, 2013, 12:25:52 am »

I recently DLed this, and I've been having lots of fun with it, but it always seems that as soon as I get a char rolling I get wiped by something stupid.  Any tips for a for a C:DDA noob?
Windows.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: September 28, 2013, 12:26:34 am »

Kill everything on windows bushes car wrecks or shopping carts. They swing at you three times less, you take three times less damage = not dying. A molotov or two will solve the peskier problems.

I'm not getting why people are so confused with making molotovs. If you only have one glass bottle with liquor in it, pour it out using unload, then craft the thing using the liquid that's now on the floor.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: September 28, 2013, 12:29:41 am »

Actually I've mostly got the kiting enemies down, my problems stem more from thirst and hunger, and the unending quest to neutralise them.  Simply, I find enough food for a little while by carefully clearing some houses or shops, then when that runs low I have to push deeper into the cities.  At that point I have accumulated enough damage from the hits I do take to cause my death very quickly.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: September 28, 2013, 12:30:34 am »

Kill everything on windows bushes car wrecks or shopping carts. They swing at you three times less, you take three times less damage = not dying. A molotov or two will solve the peskier problems.

I'm not getting why people are so confused with making molotovs. If you only have one glass bottle with liquor in it, pour it out using unload, then craft the thing using the liquid that's now on the floor.
This. It'd be a bit more logical if you could pour less than the entire container, but it still works like this. Liquids persist on the ground and can be interacted with as normal. Which, apparently, is now the solution to infinite toilet tanks as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: September 28, 2013, 12:53:36 am »

Actually I've mostly got the kiting enemies down, my problems stem more from thirst and hunger, and the unending quest to neutralise them.  Simply, I find enough food for a little while by carefully clearing some houses or shops, then when that runs low I have to push deeper into the cities.  At that point I have accumulated enough damage from the hits I do take to cause my death very quickly.

You can get un-purified water from rivers (beware swamps, though), and start hunting instead of relying on old food. Non-perishables are rare and should be kept for emergencies (barely made it to a safehouse while injured, have the flu and can't fight or hunt). Break some windows for heavy sticks and strings, make a self bow and some field point wood arrows and get fresh meat from squirrels and rabbits. It doesn't quite fill you up as well as a meat pizza or something fancy, but there's basically infinite animals to hunt. Hunting trains up a LOT of useful skills - survival, archery, cooking, firearms (when using bows, for some reason)... these all help you against zombies when you want to raid town for fun stuff later. You can also place snares in the woods to practice trapping, or make a sling to practice throwing. It will take a while before you get accurate enough to consistently kill, but it's completely worth it. Just watch out for bears, moosen, and jabberwocks. They will all end your journey quickly at lower skill/equipment levels.

You can use the survival practice to make a bone needle, and the sinew to practice tailoring to make your clothing reinforced, which protects you from bites better.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: September 28, 2013, 01:07:25 am »

KNIFE SPEAR

Best early weapon in the game. Make it by smashing a few lockers and breaking a window. Make spikes from the lockers and rags from the window, and take the heavy stick, and just tie it all together to make a devastating weapon. If you have a few points in mechanics, I believe, you can make it from the start in the shelter.

It also does quite a bit of damage if thrown (correctly).

Also, stay in one place if you're playing static. Make a base, fortify the living hell out of it. And remember, you don't have to spend every living moment fighting. If you or your clothes take any considerable amount of damage, finish your fight and retreat to lick your wounds and repair your stuff. You can use the time spent healing to cook food, purify water, and learn skills through books, all of the which can be gathered from your fighting/looting expeditions.

Also, get a filter mask. It's one of your best friends- it keeps you from dying while cooking and fighting smokers. Don it every time you see smoke and you'll be okay. Arm/Leg guards are also very good as well, make sure to get a set.

Also, keep your clothes fitted and reinforced. It makes a big difference. If you can't, invest a point or two into the tailor skill or read a "Sew what, clothing?" book to learn how to repair and upkeep your own stuff.
I need to put something interesting here.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6838 on: September 28, 2013, 01:44:46 am »

With tailoring if you don't have the skill nor the book practice the skill on clothes you are not going to wear as unskilled tailoring can damage the clothing instead ad will generally end up destroying your test subject.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: September 28, 2013, 01:51:44 am »

Do you still gain skill even if you fail to improve a piece of clothing and instead damage it?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 1086