Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866964 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6765 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:30 pm »

I think the damage from smoke inhalation keeps on going for waaaaaay too long. Once you get out of the smoke, it should stop hurting you.

Once you have a filter/gas mask the biggest issue with smokers is that you can't see them inside the cloud. That makes kiting and shooting impossible, your only option is to wade into the cloud blind and try to clobber him. Heaven help you if the smoker is inside...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: September 26, 2013, 08:22:55 pm »

At least they can't see you. My habit is to set the house they're in on fire. Usually damages them a nice bit and the smoke both from the fire and around them keeps them in place while they're damaged.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6767 on: September 26, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »

Fake Edit: Or a gas mask, now that I think about it.

Or a filter mask and some kind of goggles.

Ballistics glasses ftw, just found a pair:
v1 w.8
c 95%
ecmb 0
b 18 c 30
env 4

Question: is it more like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or this:
??

If the latter, why is it so much less cumbersome than snowboarding goggles?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: September 26, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »

The more fabulous one.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6769 on: September 27, 2013, 08:21:37 am »

Excellent
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: September 27, 2013, 08:54:34 am »

Ugh, how do you deal with turrets? my strategy of dying horribly does not seem to be working well...
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: September 27, 2013, 08:56:08 am »

Find a LAW or two and aim between the turrets. If you can't find any memorise where they are and come back at night. Toss a couple of molotovs and bolt before they shoot you

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: September 27, 2013, 08:59:53 am »

Or just go in at night, without a flashlight.  They have a VERY small light circle they produce, and can only shoot what they see.  Stay in the shadows and you can walk 10 feet from them with no issue.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: September 27, 2013, 12:00:20 pm »

Then EMP grenade. You can make them with 4 or 5 in electronics and they don't take very rare stuff to make. Just be aware that they will fry those juicy map terminals in labs that always have a turret beside them as well.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: September 27, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »

Not sure if a bug or intended, but currently setting an alarm doesn't wake my character up. He does have heavy sleeper trait though, so I guess that could be a factor. I always take it and make sure I sleep in a fortified area, so I don't know what it's like without it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6775 on: September 27, 2013, 01:42:16 pm »

Not sure if a bug or intended, but currently setting an alarm doesn't wake my character up. He does have heavy sleeper trait though, so I guess that could be a factor. I always take it and make sure I sleep in a fortified area, so I don't know what it's like without it.
Hrm, I've always had the issue of alarms going off well before they should have- ~1/2 the time I set it for. Figured it might be because it's some crummy wrist watch, but never got around to testing it, (instead just rely on the sun).
Badges of honor

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: September 27, 2013, 01:42:42 pm »

I've had heavy sleeper characters that didn't react to a horde of zombies moving outside, a horde of zombies smashing through the windows, a horde of zombies shambling across the room, or a horde of zombies ripping them apart. Literally, I've had HS characters that went to sleep and woke up (near-)dead. I stopped taking it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: September 27, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »

Another small nitpick. With the narrow sidebar option enabled, I can't see my pneumatic assault rifle's remaining ammunition.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: September 27, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »

As a person who is a heavy sleeper, I can tell you that this is true to life. Until I started using my phone's vibration setting as an alarm, setting an alarm to wake up slowly gave me diminishing returns as to whether it could wake me up. I've slept through alarms that wake up everyone else in the house but me.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: September 27, 2013, 02:55:19 pm »

As a person who is a heavy sleeper, I can tell you that this is true to life. Until I started using my phone's vibration setting as an alarm, setting an alarm to wake up slowly gave me diminishing returns as to whether it could wake me up. I've slept through alarms that wake up everyone else in the house but me.

I can turn off my clock radio without waking up.

I found a shopping cart. I think I'm in love (and given that all I've seen in the wasteland is giant insects and zombies, the cart is probably a great catch). I also found that you can read by the glow of the terminal in the shelter, which is extremely useful. Scavenge by day, recreational reading and studying at night. Just set up a makeshift bed, barricade a few doors and windows and it's a fairly nice camp.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 1086