Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1867019 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6675 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:06 am »

I'm fairly certain they're separate functions. Lockpicks don't set off alarms or make a crunching sound.

I had lockpicks setting off alarms in the .8 version, both improvised and a formal lockpicking set. I was trying my darndest to get into a pawn shop, and to be frank, I'm pretty sure I scored some neat things off the zombie police that ambled by and beat down the eyebot without much trouble.

Whoo, alarms.

Soooooo, you tried to use your lockpicks to break into a pawn shop and zombie policemen came running? Or you mean assorted zombies described tongue-in-cheek?

Also, seconding the black outline thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:38 am »

Hehehe, it makes them look like paper cut-outs, which is pretty cool. Some of them are too tall and have the line cut off, though.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: September 25, 2013, 03:46:59 am »

Hehehe, it makes them look like paper cut-outs, which is pretty cool. Some of them are too tall and have the line cut off, though.

I'd say it makes them look more... sprite-ey? The version on the left has more depth, the one on the right is more stylized and readable (especially zombie dog). Maybe tinker with grayscale outline and see if it works.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:21 am »

Well, it does make them stand out more.

And seriously, how can a game which sports deadly bushes of vehicular demise NOT look cartoonish?  :P

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: September 25, 2013, 05:54:01 am »

crate spawn at the start of the game?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:41 am »

So I dunno if it's just the version I downloaded but has there been a massive change in armour? Before I remember that like steel toed boots and chitin boots did like 4 cut protection and 4 bash protection, now chitin boots have 30 bash protection and 40 cut.

Even generic clothes do much much much much more protection and then the specialized armour does even more. Afaik damage values haven't changed and neither has monster armour values so why a massive increase for player? It makes it hard to die because you need to get swarmed to really have a chance of getting killed but because of the massive armour you don't need to run so you can just take zombies down with ease, at least it seems that way, I haven't been noticing taking much damage and im just wearing army jacket, pants, chitin boots, filter mask, safety glasses and army helmet. I suppose I need to try getting shot by something to really see how much damage reduction there is.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: September 25, 2013, 07:25:00 am »

It might make more sense if you could cap certain actions to only provide skill gain up to a certain level. Working at things with a prybar will teach you a bit about leverage, material qualities and tolerances, and the application of force, which is related to mechanics, but it shouldn't teach you how to build clockwork guns or something.  :P
I made a 'survivor's quad bike' using bicycle pedals, 4x of 19" wheels, a welding rig, kitchen unit, and some water tanks.  Water tanks hold 400 units, so I went to the nearby pool with a keg I'd gotten at the grocery store, crafting clean water using the kitchen unit and attached solar panel.  After going through 800+ cooking actions at 0 skill (including some to consume myself and cooking, as it took days to refill) I'd gotten my cooking up to 13.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: September 25, 2013, 07:35:56 am »

It might make more sense if you could cap certain actions to only provide skill gain up to a certain level. Working at things with a prybar will teach you a bit about leverage, material qualities and tolerances, and the application of force, which is related to mechanics, but it shouldn't teach you how to build clockwork guns or something.  :P
I made a 'survivor's quad bike' using bicycle pedals, 4x of 19" wheels, a welding rig, kitchen unit, and some water tanks.  Water tanks hold 400 units, so I went to the nearby pool with a keg I'd gotten at the grocery store, crafting clean water using the kitchen unit and attached solar panel.  After going through 800+ cooking actions at 0 skill (including some to consume myself and cooking, as it took days to refill) I'd gotten my cooking up to 13.
Evidently, you had a lot of time doing rote actions to ponder the nature of chemical reactions and flavour combinations.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: September 25, 2013, 07:59:58 am »

Why do we have a "Jaqueshammer" with a French description?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: September 25, 2013, 08:08:34 am »

Because it is not a jackhammer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: September 25, 2013, 08:21:09 am »

While I'm considerate of other countries and languages, and actually would like to learn French and German, I don't actually know these languages and this is why I'm playing the English version of the game...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:21 am »

Because from what i remember that "Jaqueshammer" was some kind of joke, probably related :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6EoW7xoJBM

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:41 am »

While I'm considerate of other countries and languages, and actually would like to learn French and German, I don't actually know these languages and this is why I'm playing the English version of the game...
Use it. It's uh... different from the usual English jackhammer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:07 am »

Use it. It's uh... different from the usual English jackhammer.
How Helpful.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: September 25, 2013, 09:16:28 am »

You really have to see it for yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1086