Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1867044 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6645 on: September 24, 2013, 12:53:33 pm »

Yeah, a lot of things that are currently crafted will probably be lumped into long-term procedures.  I just really hope that most/all of the long-term crafting can be mounted on vehicles, so that when it takes a few days to distill some booze, you don't get stuck in the same area waiting for it to finish.

Distilling booze on a bastard child of a truck mating with a porcupine. All you need to do is make Shotguns more viable as a weapon and you will open a portal to the Redneckverse, starting the Apallachialypse.

...why are you mating with a porcupine?
hehe grammar
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »

I think that the efficiency and usefulness of long-term crafting will be intended to build up for a lategame based ore around building and fortifying a base than it is about rolling through towns and scavenging like currently.
The basic idea is that regardless of whether or not you are staying in one location you should still be able to accomplish the same things. The difference will simply be a matter of efficiency/scale, a field of crops is obviously going to grow more food then a potted plant would, and a permanent forge will probably work better then a portable one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: September 24, 2013, 01:15:36 pm »

Given the simplistic style, I'd assume that when you eat sugar you just get less sleepy.  You could subsist entirely on sugar and soda, never sleeping.

On that note, could there be a way to obtain sugar, sugar water, or syrup from fruits or plant matter, maybe being able to process triffid plant matter into sugary syrup, and then re-processing that into grainy sugar or sugar water, which could then be used to produce various regular foods.

Well you can extract sugar from fruit so could make a recipe like that. I see triffids as being more veg and that is a bit more complicated to get sugars from that. Could also change many recipes involving sugar to also allow honey.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: September 24, 2013, 01:21:47 pm »

We need to find a use for fluid sacs!

Ghetto canteen. Pill bottle that mixes every drug you put into it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: September 24, 2013, 01:36:44 pm »

Given the simplistic style, I'd assume that when you eat sugar you just get less sleepy.  You could subsist entirely on sugar and soda, never sleeping.

On that note, could there be a way to obtain sugar, sugar water, or syrup from fruits or plant matter, maybe being able to process triffid plant matter into sugary syrup, and then re-processing that into grainy sugar or sugar water, which could then be used to produce various regular foods.

Well you can extract sugar from fruit so could make a recipe like that. I see triffids as being more veg and that is a bit more complicated to get sugars from that. Could also change many recipes involving sugar to also allow honey.

Since triffids are able to move at all, they need to be somewhat rigid to support themselves, so quite a bit of the exterior of their body would be cellulose and/or lined with silica or lignin. Silica, obviously, cannot be processed into sugar, lignin and cellulose theoretically is, but it would take way waaaaaaay to much effort to be worth it.

The nutritious parts, AKA the plant marrow you get from butchering them is presumably parenchyma, which contains a lot of water but otherwise contains disgestible sugars, so the process would presumably go Butcher->Grind plant marrow->Boil to destroy cellular structure, probably several times to turn it into a uniform pulp->Distill the pulp several times.

Then again, we're talking about a world where you beat up Mi-Go while battery acid rains on you and the harmful mutations radiation gives you are something other than cancer (yes, I know the lore explaination, but still, radiation powers).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: September 24, 2013, 04:02:00 pm »

Noted, I have no problem with vehicle equivalents to basebuilding. (hydroponic modules for growing food for example, more resource intensive but more compact), but that having been said, it's never going to be practical to drive around a completely self-contained vehicle, it's going to need regular infusions of supplies, whereas a base might achieve self-sufficiency in a lot of areas.

Ok then I remember the guy that built the base that drives around at 1MPH or so that wants to be able to run around and craft, read, etc while it putters along.  Something wacky like that might just have enough room to obtain substantial self-sufficiency.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:21 pm »

*imagines a mobile land-base thats 4 stories tall and the circumfrance of a small village, puttering along at like half a mile per hour, covered in spikes and turrets, just slowly advancing across the landscape, leveling anything that gets in its way.*

Then it runs into a bush and suffers a nuclear meltdown in the fusion engines that power it while all the windows and facilities spontaneously shatter.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:08:37 pm by Kaitol »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:48 pm »

*imagines a mobile land-base thats 4 stories tall and the circumfrance of a small village, puttering along at like half a mile per hour, covered in spikes and turrets, just slowly advancing across the landscape, leveling anything that gets in its way.*
Mortal Engines quartet? Because I would love a game based on those books.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: September 24, 2013, 04:21:32 pm »

See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/3232
and
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/3109
Possibly not a total fix, but should siginificantly help out.
The first prevents obstacles from stopping vehicles in their tracks just because the initial impact didn't break the obstacle, it re-runs the collision repeatedly, accumulating damage and draining momentum until the obstacle breaks.  Basically it factors the vehicle's momentum into the equation.
The second scales component damage based on how far from the impact it is.  Parts in the immediate vicinity will take slightly more damage, but components far from the impact will take way less.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: September 24, 2013, 04:24:51 pm »

Then it runs into a bush and suffers a nuclear meltdown in the fusion engines that power it while all the windows and facilities spontaneously shatter.
So is that why the land carrier was in a desert in U.N. Squadron?  No bushes to cause it to spontaneously self destruct?

Captain!  Look out!  it's a dry dessicated shrub! *bush crunches under treads* All hands abandon ship!

(I always figured it would be more realistic for tires to take damage when driving over grass tiles or tiles with items in them.  Bigger tires and specialized tires can handle being 'offroad' at higher speeds before having to roll to take damage, while running over items will both damage the items and the tires based on the item's properties.  Glass, metal and high cutting damage items inflicting extra damage to the tires.

But I wouldn't have to code that nightmare.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:33:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: September 24, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »

For achievements, I have the following suggestions:

-Achievements for clearing labs/fungal spires/destroying slime pits/whatever.
-Killing all the zombies in an area.
-Surviving for X days.
-Building a car.
-Reaching a certain speed with a car.
-Repairing/building one of each preset car.
-Reading X lab notes.
-Gaining X mutations/bionics.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll come up with more later.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:26 pm »

A while ago I found a missile silo on the map, so after checking the place out I checked the wiki to see what's it supposed to do.

Doesn't it technically make maxed out Computers the best combat skill in the game?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #6658 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:06 pm »

A while ago I found a missile silo on the map, so after checking the place out I checked the wiki to see what's it supposed to do.

Doesn't it technically make maxed out Computers the best combat skill in the game?
Yep, A one shot weapon of masss destrouction is the BEST weapon!
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: September 24, 2013, 07:52:20 pm »

My character had the worst night ever.

Just cleared the outlying suburbs which were mixed in a forest, and decided to sneak down into town after midnight and maybe sneak some supplies and guns out. A tile out the door of my fortified house I ran smack into a bear. Said bear was supposedly rather hungry, as it nommed my head down to yellow and bleeding before my nailboard killed it.

After some profuse swearing, I decided to continue. Figuring that spending another day inside with nothing to do but a few magazines would be a waste, and that the RNG was done with the cruel pranks, I continued on, and looted a grocery and loaded up a shopping cart, which I left outside the store (figured it made noise) and went onward to loot a gunstore. And ran smack into a hulk and two zombies.

I tried to fight it, but... low skills + nailboard does at most 1 damage to hulk. Outside of crits maybe. Usually does 0 damage.

I tried to light it on fire with some rags and a lighter but... he really didn't seem to care, and proceeded to blow my hoodie off my body.

At this point I'm too hurt to outrun it, I hadn't found any drugs because my looting was limited to like 6 houses at that point, and I had no weapons capable of damaging it to any degree. It was too dark to see if there was any terrain I could lose it on with parkour near enough that it wouldn't kill my yellow torso or head before I got to them.

Basically this is the point in nethack when you start using all those random scrolls/potions/wands and praying. Sadly, this games only real version of those are incredibly rare and unlikely to help.

At this point it was die and start all over... or say fuck you RNG and cheat.

I'm a dirty cheater T_T
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 1086