Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859343 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6585 on: September 23, 2013, 12:44:45 am »

Fungaloids (and all non-zombies) still use dynamic spawning. To get rid of them, you have to go to the fungal bloom and kill the fungal spire in the middle. After doing this, the fungaloid population will be reduced by 20% every day, from its starting value of 600-1200, so after a week or two you should be able to clean up the remainder.
Is there something similar for slime pits?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: September 23, 2013, 01:18:37 am »

Sssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooo yeah................

Just collided with a bush at 25 mph on a 2.5T vehicle... and lost my windshield headlights RV unit welder solar panels part of the frame and damaged a few gas/water tanks.

This was with V 0.8. I can't really say any more and still be polite. I've spent 4 RL days on it and it was literally less than an hour after I first started the engine. I'm going to go now.

This.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:11 am »

why i cant't read inside a shop or house or building???

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: September 23, 2013, 04:27:21 am »

why i cant't read inside a shop or house or building???

You can, but you need fairly bright light.  Stand very near a window during the day, or use some other method to make your surroundings brighter or your vision better.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6589 on: September 23, 2013, 07:14:16 am »

Do computers still work for reading? I remember I boarded up a shelter once for the computer inside.

Question: are there any other ways to organize one's shit aside from dropping different types in different spots?

Also: how do you fellows play the game? I wind up hoarding everything within a certain radius, figuring I'll eventually make some kinda mega-rv, but I always wind up losing interest/dieing before that.
Specifically:
---How does a melee character work? Even with decent dodging & exploiting windows, my clothing always gets torn to shreds in no time. Sucks if you've gotten lucky with a few military squad spawns and can't readily replace that utility vest/wool poncho.
------------Pre-post edit: Huh, just checked the wiki in case there was an update, and it seems there was. So you can use soldering irons, and collect leather patches/plastic chunks now? Nifty.
---What do you need to successfully live a moving-around life? Actual supplies to what to look for to mindset, how do?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: September 23, 2013, 07:27:10 am »

Fungaloids (and all non-zombies) still use dynamic spawning. To get rid of them, you have to go to the fungal bloom and kill the fungal spire in the middle. After doing this, the fungaloid population will be reduced by 20% every day, from its starting value of 600-1200, so after a week or two you should be able to clean up the remainder.
Is there something similar for slime pits?
No, but slimepits only start with 100-200 blobs (per overmap tile, so the underground layers will have more), so it should be much easier to kill them all. Blobs can turn other creature into blobs, but these have no effect on the population count (same with fungaloid breeding), so you might end up killing significantly more than that before they stop spawning.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: September 23, 2013, 07:41:25 am »

Sssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooo yeah................

Just collided with a bush at 25 mph on a 2.5T vehicle... and lost my windshield headlights RV unit welder solar panels part of the frame and damaged a few gas/water tanks.

This was with V 0.8. I can't really say any more and still be polite. I've spent 4 RL days on it and it was literally less than an hour after I first started the engine. I'm going to go now.
I'm not sure if the devs are still trying to say this is intended behavior or not.  They say they've improved the vehicle physics and because of it vehicles aren't usable anymore.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: September 23, 2013, 08:00:14 am »

Question: are there any other ways to organize one's shit aside from dropping different types in different spots?

Once you find a shopping cart (sometimes I find three in the same grocery store, sometimes I find one behind a shop as I'm skulking around between buildings), the items you drop into that cart stay in the order dropped until you decide to pick some of them up.  So I drop stuff into my cart in an organized fashion, with the stuff I want to have and not forget I have, but probably won't use except in a very unusual situation in first, and the stuff I expect to constantly take out and put in again going in last.  When I'm unhappy with any disorder I find a safe spot and unpack/repack it fully.

Also: how do you fellows play the game? I wind up hoarding everything within a certain radius, figuring I'll eventually make some kinda mega-rv, but I always wind up losing interest/dieing before that.
Specifically:
---What do you need to successfully live a moving-around life? Actual supplies to what to look for to mindset, how do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:14 am »

The best survival I've found is to start as a military recruit, and take 1 character point into cutting weapons.  With proper window kiting and abusing vehicle wrecks, you should do fine.  A leather jacket, and later a leather cloak, provide enormous protection.

The most success I've had is to get a Zweihander or Chainsaw, as these kill essentially anything in one hit - the 'deft fighting' trait helps here, in case you miss you're not staggered for as long.  The goal here is that you one-hit anything, and don't take damage because nothing survives in melee range.

And the Zwei has the fun 'hits everything nearby' feature, which is actually very nice.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6594 on: September 23, 2013, 08:45:48 am »

For clothing:
Huh, once I looked up the stats I was rather pleased with the poncho- 35 warmth makes you rainproof, lighter & smaller than a rain coat, 0 encumbrance can be turned into -1 & it even provides protection, (1b 2c 1e).
Always figured it was one of the items that was meant to discourage taking the 'wool allergy' trait.
Usually went with that, kevlar, underamor/tanktop & whatever storage vests I could find, but I was leaning towards ditching the kevlar altogether- would rather just not get hit.
Is archery still viable?

Nifty on the shorts, never thought of that.

Also shopping carts sound op.

Question: how is power armor?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:56:12 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: September 23, 2013, 09:11:43 am »

Clothing no longer goes to -1.  Even fitted, it's still 0.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: September 23, 2013, 11:08:05 am »

On the topic of wildlife with bottomless manpower pools: Are the triffids still around? I haven't seen any since I started playing again.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:12 am »

On the topic of wildlife with bottomless manpower pools: Are the triffids still around? I haven't seen any since I started playing again.
I think I was slain by some a few characters ago.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: September 23, 2013, 11:51:48 am »

Yup, it's a matter of luck mostly. Also, they are pretty awesome as far as hostile mobs go (edible enemies, yay), and it's a well known fact that we can't have nice things.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Danv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: September 23, 2013, 03:01:52 pm »

yeah, sure, that deep forest is so much better than a clean road what was here five minutes ago, who needs roads anyway? oh wait, realistic collisions, i forgot... >_>
i hate triffids, if i've found their lair nearby my base - it's time to research flamethrower and save some tear gas
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1086