Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859647 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6540 on: September 22, 2013, 10:03:49 am »

Wow, this has really come a long way since I last looked at it! Nice to see it's still in progress!

Anyways, I fired up the new stable release to see how it is, and now I have but one question to pose:

HOLY BALLS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT DYING? T_T

I can't even make it into town to get any kind of food, drink, or gear.

I was never really any good at even vanilla Cata, usually never made it more than a day or two, but now I can't even get up basic necessities without my face being violently chewed off. My best character so far made it to sundown of Day 1 by hanging out in the forest ten tiles away from town, chucking rocks at squirrels and harvesting berries. After it started getting dark, and my character more and more thirsty, I decided to try and raid the local supermarket under the cover of night only to find myself swarmed by all manner of nasties with nary but a pointy stick to defend myself with.

So tell me, please, what are some tips I can use to keep one of these sorry suckers alive now that I can't even go to the place where the goodies are without getting mobbed?
This is not a signature.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:19 am »

You can use the debug menu (you need to assign a key to it) to spawn some items you need to increase your early survivability.

Originally i played the game regularly but after noticing i always ended into not being able to find enough in towns before dying from the zombies swarm, i decided to give myself a gun and some bullet mags now each new games (in case there's none lying around), it's much more playable and enjoyable to me as i can then get more items in town to prepare for more cleaning (but it's still very dangerous as you usually need several bullets to kill a zombie, and there are several hundred of them ready to spawn and respawn in a town, some being very nasty too)

You need more containers to store it. Just that. The game is telling you that you had a full water bottle before crafting, and after you have a half-filled water bottle and a bunch of clean water that you can't pour in it.

I see keeping an empty bottle by example should be good, though i'm then not sure why it worked for 2 of the 3 bottles, because i had no empty container in my inventory ?
edit : my bad, there was an empty container for the 2 first bottle ... the 3rd one.

Meanwhile, after sleeping and being forced to drink everything to get rid of the very thirsty (those bottle must be very very small) result of the sleep, as it wasn't raining i decided to drive my newly acquired car (from a garage) that i refueled with a jerrycan i filled at a station nearby to the river out of town near a swamp.

And after noticing some mosquitoes , i decided to shoot at them, only to see much, much more things coming.

Due to the insane speed of those things, i only managed to save my character by getting into the car and getting in rear gear at full speed, but still something managed to hurt me

those river banks are much more scary than they were a couple of days ago when i went there to see if it was secure (due to the swamp nearby). Zombies hordes are nearly harmless in comparison.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:15:37 pm by Robsoie »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:51 am »

With static spawn, all zombies are spawned at the time the world is generated, so you can clean out cities unlike with dynamic spawn. It also has as effect that there are A LOT of zombies in towns.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:01 am »

With static spawn, all zombies are spawned at the time the world is generated, so you can clean out cities unlike with dynamic spawn. It also has as effect that there are A LOT of zombies in towns.

You can clear out cities with dynamic spawn as there is a zombie population but they don't all show up at the same time. Dynamic spawn is intended to be more gamey by bringing out zombies in waves and then providing a little bit of safe time to loot and lick wounds before the next wave of zombies come, although making lots of noises brings lots of zombies.

Static spawn has the advantage that once you clear out an area then it's generally clear but there are higher initial number of enemies, though much less enemies overall when compared to dynamic.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: September 22, 2013, 10:28:05 am »

Well, yeah, you can technically clear out an area with dynamic, but it's really hard to do in practice.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:52 am »

I find it best to make or find myself a decent melee weapon and slowly move into town.  If you see a zed moving towards you don't continue on until that zed is dead (and then butcher or keep smashing what's left because they can get back up now). 

Try to maneuver so that when the zed is in melee range they are standing on something like a bush, broken window or car frame, those take so long to move through that you can get 2 or 3 free swings in.  With a good melee weapon they often won't get a swing in before they die.

Special zombies are a problem.  Fortunately they are less common than they used to be, but they are still dangerous until you get a good ranged weapon.

• Grabbers: They are basically just Stronger green zeds. They are a bit harder to kill and can hit twice a turn, but I treat them just like normal zombies and handle them fine.
  • Skeletons: Like zombies but if yer using a bladed weapon check yer inventory for something heavy to hit them with.  The strong bladed weapons will often be pulled from yer hands as it gets stuck in the bone.  If you run from one it's helpful to know they can't bash things.  A closed window is enough to stop them cold.
  • Child Zombies: Not much different than regular zombies.  A little faster but less durable.  Their most dangerous bit is that they lower your morale if yer near them when they die.
  • Zombie Dogs: Fast zombies renamed. Treat them like regulars and try to kite them into a bush.  Chances are they will get a hit off on you but one hit from a bush is better than 4. They hit and run like wolves.
  • Shockers/Spitters:If yer in the open field you have to hope for the best and bait them into using their special up, then quickly try and kite them into a bush before they get it again. Ideally you want to fight them somewhere you can LoS them until they are in melee range though, they don't seem to use their specials from melee range. Shockers are extra dangerous if yer using a metal melee weapon or martial arts, they wil retaliate with a shock every time you hit them without something insulating. 
  • Brutes: If you took fleet footed and have some sneakers on you might be able to kite them to a bush, hit once, then run to another bush and hit them once more, and continue that til they're dead. If not try yer best to do the same thing, but expect heavy damage
  • Smokers: Do you have a filter mask or gas mask?  If so put it on. If not avoid them like the plague.  Try to kite them onto a bush or window and beat them down as normal, it's hard to see terrain through the smoke though.  If you must fight one without proper mouth protection you will take a big chunk of torso damage from smoke inhalation, but they are unlikely to be lethal on their own.  Watch out for other zeds hiding in the smoke.
  • Hulk: Do not engage Lu Bu.  If you have one chasing you yer best bet is to check yer inventory to see if there is anything in your inventory you can use to avoid meleeing it.  Molotovs work well, and you can try treating it like a brute, but there is a good chance you are no longer a survivor.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: September 22, 2013, 10:53:14 am »

So, is farming in the game now? Can someone explain the process?
It's technically in, you can use a hoe and seeds, but last I heard the plants never actually grew.  So it's not actually in.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: September 22, 2013, 11:07:40 am »

So, is farming in the game now? Can someone explain the process?
It's technically in, you can use a hoe and seeds, but last I heard the plants never actually grew.  So it's not actually in.
Darnit I guess that entire farm I just planted is completely useless then....
Nom nom nom

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: September 22, 2013, 11:09:29 am »

So tell me, please, what are some tips I can use to keep one of these sorry suckers alive now that I can't even go to the place where the goodies are without getting mobbed?

Make sure your game is set to static spawn. This lets you clear a safe zone bit by bit as you move into a city.

When you start the game, check the shelter basement for supplies. Go outside and grab a rock, then come back to the shelter and 's'mash up some furniture until you have a 2X4 and some nails. Craft those into a Nail Board for a starting weapon.

Next, head to the most isolated house you can see on the map. Approach slowly, and only close enough to lure zombies out one at a time. Once one or two zombies follow you, retreat away from town and try to move so they have to cross a bush to get to you. Stand just on the other side of the bush, and when they step on the bush tile, attack! They'll be slowed down enough that you get free swings in, and eventually you'll be killing them before the touch you. Windows and car chassis work the same way inside a town. Repeat this until the house appears clear. Smash the window farthest from town and wait to see if you attracted any attention. If yes, keep dragging the zombies out of town and killing them. Don't forget to 'B'utcher the corpses so they can't rise again. If no, you have a relatively safe house.

Now you have 2 goals: Food/water, and armor. Every house has a kitchen with a refrigerator, check those, and the stoves for a pot/pan to boil water in. Once you have armor and storage (see below) you should be fine for the first day after a house or two.

For armor, you need to find a sewing kit in one of the houses, and a few items of undamaged clothing in a house. Grab the string from the window you broke and 'D'isassemble it into thread to reload your sewing kit. Cut up damaged zombie clothes and sheets to get rags for tailoring work, and practice sewing by using your sewing kit on an undamaged clothing article (make sure it's something you don't want to keep, there's still a chance of destroying the item while practicing). You should get tailoring up to 2 or 3 pretty quickly, which lets you fit most of the clothing you find to lower its encumbrance, as well as make some new armor and reinforce it to keep you safer. My early goal is usually something like this:

Boots, socks, cargo shorts, cargo pants, a hoodie or (preferably) trenchcoat, glove liners, light or fingerless gloves, bandana and/or filter mask, safety glasses, some kind of helmet, and 1 or 2 storage items like tool belts, messenger bags, pouches, or a backpack. You can reinforce most of those items by using a sewing kit and rags on them, which makes them last longer in a fight and protects you from some bite wounds.

If you want to make sure you have a sewing kit, you can take the tailor profession at character creation, though I don't think it's really worth the points.

Once you have a clear house, some food, water, and sturdy reinforced clothes you should be in pretty good shape to continue slowly clearing the town and looting more houses and stores.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: September 22, 2013, 12:19:55 pm »

Well i'll ask again, i saw one guy on youtube review switching tilesets in game from Deon's to Hoder's Tileset, assume he did it with some bind, now my question is if someone knows what bind was that

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: September 22, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »

We're going to pay for not making that obvious...

The tileset used is configured in the data/gfx.txt file
Add a '#' in front of the lines that mention Deon's and remove the '#' from the lines that mention Hodor's tiles.  If you comment both sets out it'll fall back to GalenTiles.

Should look like this before
Code: [Select]
#Until multiple tilesets are implemented, there should only ever be these two entries
#in this file.

#Paths to Deon's tileset: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json & /deontiles.png
#Paths to Hoder's tileset: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json & /hodertiles.png

#DEON's TILESET
#JSON Path - Default of gfx/tile_config.json
JSON: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json
#Tileset Path - Default of gfx/tinytile.png
TILESET: gfx/DeonTileset/deontiles.png

#HODER'S TILESET -- Commented out
#JSON: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json
#TILESET: gfx/HoderTileset/hodertiles.png

While after it should be
#Until multiple tilesets are implemented, there should only ever be these two entries
#in this file.

#Paths to Deon's tileset: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json & /deontiles.png
#Paths to Hoder's tileset: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json & /hodertiles.png

#DEON's TILESET
#JSON: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json
#TILESET: gfx/DeonTileset/deontiles.png

#HODER'S TILESET -- Commented out
JSON: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json
TILESET: gfx/HoderTileset/hodertiles.png

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: September 22, 2013, 12:29:33 pm »

Oooor uncomment out the JSON and Tileset path for Hoder's or Deon's tilset as I just tested and it seems it will work just fine with those either way

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: September 22, 2013, 12:50:42 pm »

Ran into a bug, after a couple more days the 2 NPC that started in the shelter with me decided to move on their own into the town i was bust clearing, probably running after some harmless prey.

I joined them to help them survive there (as i had a mission from one of them) and at some point the game just became stuck there , while i was busy cooking with my frying pan some bear meat on a bush i fired with some matchbooks :

Pressing the space bar didn't do anything to unstuck the game
The debug log was full of this
player.cpp[6082]: Caroline Brooks tried to eat a lighter
the only other entries were i think from a previous game and so not related
ERROR: syntax error at line 1 near:
game.cpp[479]: game::load_npcs Static NPC with no fine location data (-1:1) New loc data (-27:98).
game.cpp[5656]: update_zombie_pos: no such zombie at 72,60 (moving to 59,64)
game.cpp[5656]: update_zombie_pos: no such zombie at 69,61 (moving to 59,59)
game.cpp[5656]: update_zombie_pos: no such zombie at 71,82 (moving to 64,64)
game.cpp[5642]: update_zombie_pos: new location 64,64 already has zombie 0
game.cpp[5617]: add_zombie: there's already a monster at 64,64

Seconding, exact same bug, also eating a lighter.

While we're at eating weird stuff, I love Internal Furnace for comedy value it provides. What's the best fuel item for it, gasoline?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: September 22, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

Somebody should draw an NPC eating a lighter. I find this bug far too amusing.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: September 22, 2013, 02:12:11 pm »

cooking is under * like other crafting? can't really find option to cook
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1086