Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859437 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6465 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:10 pm »

Oh god, flu is pretty scary in this game.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:21 pm »

Oh god, flu is pretty scary in this game.

It's not *quite* as bad if you take your healthy time to stock up on canned/preserved foods and lots of clean drinking water. Also if you do need to hunt, you can keep meat edible for two days by not cooking half of a kill until 23 hours later.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »

Yeah I got flu the third day of the game, so Didn't really have much time to stock up  :P. Wouldn't have survived if i hadn't managed to find a gun and plentiful ammo, so I could actually take on the local wildlife.
And cooking resets the rot timer? Nice to know.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: September 20, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »

The way fire spreads in cata, the "simple" solution* could easily (and unpredictably) end up locking the system, because there's nothing to stop it from spreading to an arbitrarily large extent. 
The other simple solution** has the problem mentioned of ending up with nonsensical and jagged borders of destruction.
I don't actually have a solution that will address both issues simultaneously.  The second option is obviously better in that it won't lock your computer, and arguably better than what we have, so short term we'll likely go that direction.

*The simple solution is pinning map tiles that have fire on some list and continuing to process them.
**The other simple solution is fast-aging fire in-place the next time it's loaded.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: September 20, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »

Could you set it so that in the simple solution once fire is beyond the "draw distance" it can't spread more than 1-2 tiles beyond its map tile. Might need to set it to three so it could realistically consume multi-tile buildings (mansions).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: September 20, 2013, 10:31:47 pm »

The "simple" solution would only activate a single map tile at a time (1 house, or 1 3x3 manor) and wouldn't let the fire spread beyond that, but WOULD let the fire spread to the furthest edges of a manor.  When it reached the manor's edge, and tried to spill over into the next adjacent building or forest, then it would simply fail to spread.

Essentially, the fire only exists in the area it was started, and nearby the player.  If the player isn't nearby, then it doesn't spread beyond the current map tile.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:45 pm »

Hohoho, I take back what I said earlier. Just went on a rampage with a Remington and around 300 rounds of 00 shot and slugs. I've got a massive city to clear, so I just snuck into a clearing between houses at night, dug lines of pits, and waited for day. The zeds actually straggled in pretty slowly, considering that I was constantly firing a shotgun and a Glock for 3-4 ingame hours. Between the Remington, the Glock, and a couple of molotovs I killed (and butchered) something in the range of 400-500ish zeds. The best part about fire is that you don't have to chop up the bodies, and they'll run right through choke points filled with it. I think part of it was that they kept getting caught on cars while flocking to me, and since zeds automatically bash instead of trying to path around, the horde was sort of filtered thin by the wall of wrecks on the main roads.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: September 20, 2013, 11:39:23 pm »

Oi

What's this with bushes

I just got swamped by a horde of zed when I tried to escape after getting wedged by a bunch of them. Are they like trees now?
I need to put something interesting here.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:47 pm »

The "simple" solution would only activate a single map tile at a time (1 house, or 1 3x3 manor) and wouldn't let the fire spread beyond that, but WOULD let the fire spread to the furthest edges of a manor.  When it reached the manor's edge, and tried to spill over into the next adjacent building or forest, then it would simply fail to spread.

Essentially, the fire only exists in the area it was started, and nearby the player.  If the player isn't nearby, then it doesn't spread beyond the current map tile.
The technical size is a 4x4 block for a single house, but yeah, this was basically the idea that seemed to float to the top, we just haven't gotten around to implementing it yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »

Oi

What's this with bushes

I just got swamped by a horde of zed when I tried to escape after getting wedged by a bunch of them. Are they like trees now?

Yes.

I think it will be fixed sooner or later, but from what I understand, it seems it branched from a realistic vehicle collision pull.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: September 21, 2013, 12:23:28 am »

So shrubs are the carp of Cataclysm DDA?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: September 21, 2013, 12:40:26 am »

Bushes = windows, but they are out in the open as opposed to forming a chokepoint.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: September 21, 2013, 01:29:39 am »

Bushes are like precisely targeted claymore mines that always destroy your most important loot. Bushes are subtle and quick to anger. Do not look directly at bushes. Do not taught bushes. Do not feed bushes after midnight. Do not leave bushes unattended. Do not pass go with a bush.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: September 21, 2013, 01:51:52 am »

Just got an augmented muscles CBM from a shocker.  Installed successfully!  It's there on my p screen, nice and passive even.

Only it doesn't appear to work.  Says it increases strength by two, and it cannot be activated, but my strength still shows as 11/11.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: September 21, 2013, 02:24:25 am »

Just got an augmented muscles CBM from a shocker.  Installed successfully!  It's there on my p screen, nice and passive even.

Only it doesn't appear to work.  Says it increases strength by two, and it cannot be activated, but my strength still shows as 11/11.
Do you have any power?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1086