Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859568 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6450 on: September 20, 2013, 03:25:42 pm »

Aww, now I don't have an excuse for all of my characters running around in nothing but a skirt and utility vest.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: September 20, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »

Aww, now I don't have an excuse for all of my characters running around in nothing but a skirt and utility vest.
Do you need a reason?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:45 pm »

Do you need a reason?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: September 20, 2013, 04:30:44 pm »

Is vinegar useful for anything? I ditched some to get a gallon jug for water, which was more important, but it left me wondering if I should be on the lookout for more.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: September 20, 2013, 04:34:09 pm »

Battery Crafting and Food Pickling IIRC.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: September 20, 2013, 04:46:00 pm »

It's cool, hopefully when the system currently used for farming is expanded on a little more, we can have huge vats of vinegar and related alcohol-derived products brewing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:54 pm »

I noticed something about fire.

I mentionned a few pages ago some kind of blob invasion in a town and the entrance to a slime pit in the middle of a street.

So to test around this blob apparently never ending spawning, i just used the debug menu and gave my character a M79 launcher and bazillons of 40mm incendiary grenades.

Then, let's say that after a -lot- of explosions and fire everywhere i think i finally got the blob spawning in control, meaning i don't see them anymore .
I even went inside of the slime pit and fired a bunch of incendiary grenade in every direction, that underground location is now a burning hell.

Now that said, i'll say that my scientific experimentation got some collateral damage, basically a big part of that town has its buildings in fire.

Then, i went to sleep outside of the town in a car without wheels, very comfortable, waited until midnight, or until "you're tired" appeared and slept.
Back to town, as i expected the fire was still raging, but still no blob, i went back into the car out of town, waited and slept (and debug gave me cooked meat and clean water to keep my grenade scientist alive) , i noticed that during the night there was rain (regular one, not acid) and even some thunderstorm nearby.

I got back to town and noticed the fire were still burning everywhere, and not only the buildings, but even the small fire in the middle of the streets caused by the grenade explosions.

Finding this odd, i went back to wait -> sleep in the car outside of town, again it rained during night, then went back into town, and still every single fire were still burning.

Testing again, this time i went in view of a fire and hold the Numpad5 key to waste turns doing nothing and i noticed that when in my view the fires in the middle of the street were slowly estingishing themselves.
Looking at the building , same.

To test more if it was just a coincidence, i shot again an incendiary grenade in the middle of the street, held Numpad5 and the fire was slowly put off after some time.

It seems when fires are not in view, they just do not stop apparently.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:51:37 pm by Robsoie »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: September 20, 2013, 05:02:53 pm »

Yeah right now the world only exists for about 60 tiles in any direction on your specific z-level, which means anything time related that is father then that gets "paused" until you come closer again. We've been looking at some potential fixes for that, but it's not quite as easy as you would think. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: September 20, 2013, 05:05:42 pm »

It's good to know, so i'll get in the correct range when i'll want those fire to stop.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: September 20, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »

How do I modify json files? They always end up screwing up or not appearing.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: September 20, 2013, 05:11:14 pm »

Open with...>Notepad.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: September 20, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »

I tried that, it still doesn't work out. I think I'll try editing one of the professions instead of trying to make a new one... hrm.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6462 on: September 20, 2013, 05:22:32 pm »

Yeah right now the world only exists for about 60 tiles in any direction on your specific z-level, which means anything time related that is father then that gets "paused" until you come closer again. We've been looking at some potential fixes for that, but it's not quite as easy as you would think. :P
   This has probably already been suggested but if fire has a specific life then when an area would be paused just tag fires with the turn number so when a player comes back in range the game can compare and make it go poof. The problem is that with this fire that is out of sight would end up not spreading unless you did something more.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Arkoth

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Somewhere in New England, probably dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:11 pm »

I tried that, it still doesn't work out. I think I'll try editing one of the professions instead of trying to make a new one... hrm.
Try using Notepad++
ROWSDOWER!
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: September 20, 2013, 06:22:47 pm »

Actually you can do it much simpler.  Similar to Minecraft, every map tile in Cataclysm is a 16x16, and can control if it it's actively being processed or not.  Rather simply, if a tile has fire in it, then mark it as 'loaded and calculating fire' and when the fire dies 'stop doing math here'.  It'll cause some trouble when a house is on fire and you run away, and it still lags as it burns even when you're away, but that's expected, and as long as it's impossible to start fires outside of the character's active field (ie, lightning cannot strike a house across town) then it'll be manageable.

Perhaps to modify it, the building type should be loaded.  I caught a mansion on fire and slept out front, but due to the size of the building the back edge wasn't burned at all.  If fire caused an entire 'chunk' to be loaded then you'd get cleaner results I think...
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 1086