Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859366 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6420 on: September 19, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »

Museums would actually be a really good addition, I think. It'd let you find some of the rare mansion/pawn-shop only items (plate armor, pike, etc) potentially early enough for them to be useful in some fashion. Plus the myriad other stuff you could add in that wouldn't seem out of place.
You hit the zombie with the ancient pot!
The ancient pot shatters!
The zombie takes 4 damage. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: September 19, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »

Plus it would be a good place to put EVEN MORE GUNS!
along with other new things...
Heck, they probably would have a workshop in them. However, cops, scientists and assorted little brats running about...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: September 19, 2013, 02:35:57 pm »

Plus having vintage armor worn by (name here) or weapons used by (name) probably would add to it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: September 19, 2013, 04:18:18 pm »

Random chance for items in a museum with a <name generator generated name here>'s prefix, with a random bonus or malus to random stats. A peerless masterpiece that's been well preserved or a piece of junk rusted into uselessness that's only worthwhile for its historical significance.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: September 19, 2013, 04:25:02 pm »

Random chance for items in a museum with a <name generator generated name here>'s prefix, with a random bonus or malus to random stats. A peerless masterpiece that's been well preserved or a piece of junk rusted into uselessness that's only worthwhile for its historical significance.

That is a good point. A lot of museum pieces were dredged out of peat bogs or rivers. Not exactly preserved in peak condition.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: September 19, 2013, 05:08:49 pm »

[Correct me if I'm wrong]

Rapiers are fantastic, absolutely fantastic, slashing weapons. They are able to hold a sharp edge, and the elasticity of the blade both protects it and makes it extremely lethal. But you need to know HOW to slash, otherwise you may as well just stab.
Rapiers were not slashing weapons (unlike side swords). Some could slash, but being both somewhat lighter then a medieval sword (the cutting ability of a sword depended more on being swung with much force then on being sharp), and much thinner (meaning both that they were more elastic, absorbing some of the energy of the  blow, and that if you swung them hard enough they could be bent or broken a lot more easily then a broadsword) even the ones that did weren't very good at it.
Additionally if Renaissance fencing is anything like "classical fencing", I know for a fact rapiers wouldn't be used to cut.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: September 19, 2013, 05:16:20 pm »

Yep.

This shouldn't even be necessary.

A rapier is a slender, sharply pointed sword, ideally used for thrusting attacks, used mainly in Early Modern Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: September 19, 2013, 05:19:21 pm »

Additionally if Renaissance fencing is anything like "classical fencing", I know for a fact rapiers wouldn't be used to cut.

Knowing quite a few rapier fighters who practice the period style of fencing, I've learned that in Renaissance fencing the rapier was a good bit broader than a modern foil and could be used to cut fairly well. However, it wouldn't be too good at cutting through bone and therefore wouldn't be too effective against zombies who don't care about little things like pain, or slit throats, or the like.

It'd be fine cutting against wild animals, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: September 19, 2013, 05:29:01 pm »

Yep.

This shouldn't even be necessary.

A rapier is a slender, sharply pointed sword, ideally used for thrusting attacks, used mainly in Early Modern Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: September 19, 2013, 06:20:50 pm »

There are so many variants and individual designs of each type of sword, making broad statements about them is partly impossible.

Very light, thin, flexible rapiers would be terrible at slashing. But rapiers were not to a one of that design. In fact they mostly pretty much looked exactly like somewhat slimmer longswords to start with until fencing became more and more of a sport and less I WANT TO MURDER YOU. You could slash with them, and if you were very good and got an excellent cut angle you could probably get through bone if they didn't have armor. But that wasn't what they were intended for and you would rarely be in a position to make such a good cut in a fencing duel so its mostly moot.

There are a whole category of swords halfway between rapiers and longswords made to do both cut and thrust. Forget if they're called anything special though

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: September 19, 2013, 06:35:35 pm »

If I were adding museums what I'd do is when a museum is placed it randomly choses what exhibits it has. Each exhibit filling a room.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6431 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:22 pm »

I don't know if I have said it on the thread before but I love shovels. Digging pits is about the best way to deal with entrenched zombie filled positions. Of course a digging stick works just as well. I actually use one in my latest video to deal with a hotel tower next to the one I made my temp home the previous video.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: September 19, 2013, 11:30:38 pm »

apartment complexes are amazing. i just spent 4 survivors trying to take one that is located near some military crates.

unfprtunately, i somehow attracted a zombie horde from a nearby town, and all the beef MREs are inaccessible.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:51 pm »

Museums would actually be a really good addition, I think. It'd let you find some of the rare mansion/pawn-shop only items (plate armor, pike, etc) potentially early enough for them to be useful in some fashion. Plus the myriad other stuff you could add in that wouldn't seem out of place.
You hit the zombie with the ancient pot!
The ancient pot shatters!
The zombie takes 4 damage. :P

More like, you get a morale bonus for hanging that original Van Gogh painting above your bed ;)

Heaven forbid that bed is on an RV and while driving it, you hit a shrub...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:00 pm »

Heaven forbid that bed is on an RV and while driving it, you hit a shrub...

I'm trying to picture how that would work. Would the shrub cause the painting to pinball around the cab? Would it fly off the wall and lodge in your kitchen unit, shuriken-style? My favorite is hitting a shrub just causes the painting, kitchen unit, and solar panels to spontaneously combust, leaving the rest of the vehicle unscathed.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 1086