Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859540 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6390 on: September 19, 2013, 10:26:59 am »

Playing as Ben Throttle from Full Throttle was a brief but enjoyable experience. Died when I took down a gang of zombies at a door's chokepoint. Anyone got any good ideas for movie/videogame/book characters I should try and play for Cataclysm?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:42 am »

*Discussion on medieval weapons*

Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:31 am »

Anyone got any good ideas for movie/videogame/book characters I should try and play for Cataclysm?
Solaire.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: September 19, 2013, 11:12:10 am »

Playing as Ben Throttle from Full Throttle was a brief but enjoyable experience. Died when I took down a gang of zombies at a door's chokepoint. Anyone got any good ideas for movie/videogame/book characters I should try and play for Cataclysm?

Kirk or Picard

Take your pick

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: September 19, 2013, 11:20:19 am »

- A broadsword would deal heavy damage and be of average speed, but not increase too much with skill
- A Rapier would deal light damage with low skill but be quick. Increased skill would rapidly increase damage.
- A morningstar should be the best weapon against zombies, but have a lower damage ceiling from a rapier
Rapiers were less about damage (if you poke someone with a longsword, they will be a lot more hurt), but rather speed and parrying. In skilled hands rapiers should give good to excellent block. At the expense of damage.
Also, you might have broadsword and morning star switched (it's quite a bite more difficult to hit someone with a sword the right way, then it is with a club. When you do learn to do it, however, you get to make zombie salad like a boss)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:14 am »

*Discussion on medieval weapons*

We should totally get a Falx in the game. Interestingly, it's specifically designed to sever limbs and cut things. A two-handed one would be an amazing weapon in a zombie apocalypse due to the ease of cutting off heads of slow-moving zombies such as the ones in Cataclysm. There's also the Rhomphaia that has less of a curve and is longer for those times when you really don't want the zombies any closer than they are, thank you very much.

Why more games do not have these weapons I will never know.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:05 am »

Well if we are on weapons that should be in the game but aren't. Why aren't combat shovels in the game?

Sure, they are only used by the military and are shorter and more inconvenient then normal shovels...

Though I guess I should be thinking about real life objects that are used by weapons...

What about making fancy cooking knives their own weapon? They tend to be a bit sharper and more durable then normal kitchen knives and their popularity have been increasing steadily.

Or using Weight lifting poles as weapons I guess...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:27:52 am by Neonivek »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: September 19, 2013, 11:27:56 am »

Dark Souls has the Shotel and the Sever - both having similar shape and unusual attack patterns.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: September 19, 2013, 11:34:01 am »

- A broadsword would deal heavy damage and be of average speed, but not increase too much with skill
- A Rapier would deal light damage with low skill but be quick. Increased skill would rapidly increase damage.
- A morningstar should be the best weapon against zombies, but have a lower damage ceiling from a rapier
Rapiers were less about damage (if you poke someone with a longsword, they will be a lot more hurt), but rather speed and parrying. In skilled hands rapiers should give good to excellent block. At the expense of damage.
Also, you might have broadsword and morning star switched (it's quite a bite more difficult to hit someone with a sword the right way, then it is with a club. When you do learn to do it, however, you get to make zombie salad like a boss)

[Correct me if I'm wrong]

Rapiers are fantastic, absolutely fantastic, slashing weapons. They are able to hold a sharp edge, and the elasticity of the blade both protects it and makes it extremely lethal. But you need to know HOW to slash, otherwise you may as well just stab.

Broadsword is relatively easy, it's not specially balanced like a longsword, and not as risky as a shortsword. Broadsword is your generic "sword" that you would give to up-and-coming militia and men-at-arms. And that's what I meant with the morningstar - effective at low skill, effective at high skill, but doesn't get THAT much better.

We should totally get a Falx in the game. Interestingly, it's specifically designed to sever limbs and cut things. A two-handed one would be an amazing weapon in a zombie apocalypse due to the ease of cutting off heads of slow-moving zombies such as the ones in Cataclysm. There's also the Rhomphaia that has less of a curve and is longer for those times when you really don't want the zombies any closer than they are, thank you very much.

Why more games do not have these weapons I will never know.

Well if we are on weapons that should be in the game but aren't. Why aren't combat shovels in the game?

Sure, they are only used by the military and are shorter and more inconvenient then normal shovels...

Though I guess I should be thinking about real life objects that are used by weapons...

What about making fancy cooking knives their own weapon? They tend to be a bit sharper and more durable then normal kitchen knives and their popularity have been increasing steadily.

Or using Weight lifting poles as weapons I guess...

The reason we don't have many of them is nobody got around to coding them ;) This game is open source, and adding items is (relatively) easy. If you have the time, write the code and throw it in for merge!

Also, some games DO have that. Look into State of Decay (XBOX Arcade, coming to PC very soon) as they have an incredible assortment of melee weapons, and will be adding even more.

EDIT: Revocane on Youtube made a really good lets-play of that game here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbhq2gy_-dE&feature=share&list=PLPj8Y5FiAynnKhwT6I4h0XyoYkkTIopqv
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:36:05 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: September 19, 2013, 11:35:41 am »

I was mostly joking... but Sure I am willing to write weapon codes if I knew what to do about weapon codes.

But I assume that I need to know real coding.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: September 19, 2013, 11:37:38 am »

I was mostly joking... but Sure I am willing to write weapon codes if I knew what to do about weapon codes.

But I assume that I need to know real coding.

I have way more understanding of code than time. Why don't I see if I can interpret the code so more shinies can be added!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: September 19, 2013, 11:42:11 am »

Actually just about anyone can add weapons and their respective recipes, just take a look at the recipes.json file and melee.json and add whatever it is you want! (Though to get it pulled into the mainline would take a git PR or convincing someone else to PR it for you :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: September 19, 2013, 11:45:05 am »

Ahhh, I totally understand... and by totally understand I mean what the heck are you talking abooots?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:45 am »

The game is basically defined in a series of .json files - these are used as the raw files of Dwarf Fortress.  You define the name, weight, volume, slashing attack, bashing attack, etc... and the game loads them and adds them as items.  Same with crafting, you add the list of tools, materials, and product.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: September 19, 2013, 11:55:43 am »

Ahhh, I totally understand... and by totally understand I mean what the heck are you talking abooots?

.json files are similar to DF files that are made to be modifiable by users. This way, you can easily modify your local game to suit your tastes.

If you want them in the main game, the process is more complex. It require accessing the GIT depository and understanding how the damn thing works.

Alternatively, you could start on modifying the .json files and then talk to somebody asking to upload it for you. For simplicity's sake, that's your best bet.

Go into cataclysm folder, and search for recipes.json and melee.json. I think you can just open those files in notepad/notepad+ and follow the pre-existing scheme of the items inside.

I'd help more, but I'm not at home. I could look into it for you, though :)
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 1086