Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859488 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6240 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:26 pm »

To Maxva:

I would suggest morning star/mace(forget which one) from a pawn shop oooor if you want a cutting weapon, Katana or Zwaihander

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: September 16, 2013, 03:09:15 pm »

Bush-vehicle impact violence has been roughly halved.
There's a relatively simple and reasonable fix to make the "shock to entire vehicle" thing more manageable, that should happen within the next day or so.

EDIT: "Magic of sidecars"
It's not a generic sidecar thing, someone just slapped together a predefined vehicle that's a motorcycle with a sidecar that spawn occasionally in the usual places.  You can easily make one yourself with a motorcycle, an extra frame or two, an extra wheel, and a seat.

It looks like:
o#>o
 #>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:16:48 pm by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: September 16, 2013, 03:16:57 pm »

To Maxva:

I would suggest morning star/mace(forget which one) from a pawn shop oooor if you want a cutting weapon, Katana or Zwaihander

I rarely ever see those; I instead opt for Nail Bat (Sporting Goods) or Combat Knife (Military Surplus)

Other great options are Knife Spear and Hammer. If you're feeling fancy and have nice dexterity you can go with an Exacto Knife.

And, my personal favorite, Steel Chain. It deals decent damage, but I love it for the bonus unarmed attack. It triggers a lot.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Danv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »

i wish there was "damage resistance" parameter or something like this for every vehicle part in json, which would negate % or exact amount of damage for such part, i.e. easily moddable
"realistic" damage is good for a normal vehicle, sure, but i fucking want to build unstoppable plasma tank on 24 underbody wide wheels, armored to the last goddamned screw, and i want to ride on such monster through towns and forests like a freshly built road

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:40 pm »

Question, how do I use the Hoder Tileset instead of the Deon tileset? I downloaded the updated version from the Cataclysm DDA forum, but the only option I see in the game is to turn tiles on and off.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »

We're going to pay for not making that obvious...

The tileset used is configured in the data/gfx.txt file
Add a '#' in front of the lines that mention Deon's and remove the '#' from the lines that mention Hodor's tiles.  If you comment both sets out it'll fall back to GalenTiles.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: September 16, 2013, 03:56:38 pm »

We're going to pay for not making that obvious...

The tileset used is configured in the data/gfx.txt file
Add a '#' in front of the lines that mention Deon's and remove the '#' from the lines that mention Hodor's tiles.  If you comment both sets out it'll fall back to GalenTiles.

May I suggest a simplification? Add the "baked-in" tilesets as a switch in Options. One of the options will be Custom (See gfx.txt) and will use whatever is defined there. With the useful and improving Options menu, I think people look there instead of .ini files like in Dwarf Fortress.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: September 16, 2013, 03:57:30 pm »

i wish there was "damage resistance" parameter or something like this for every vehicle part in json, which would negate % or exact amount of damage for such part, i.e. easily moddable
"realistic" damage is good for a normal vehicle, sure, but i fucking want to build unstoppable plasma tank on 24 underbody wide wheels, armored to the last goddamned screw, and i want to ride on such monster through towns and forests like a freshly built road
I've been asking for this for a while, preferably reducing a fixed amount so that vehicles become immune to low-damage attacks (the same way an Abrams would be immune to pistols) and letting vehicles handle many situations a lot easier...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: September 16, 2013, 04:23:17 pm »

That was implemented quite a while back...*code archaeology*... In January.
Hence the new motorcycle with sidecar you might run across now :)
(aviator goggles and leather cap sold seperately)
O_O

Ok what is this magic and can you expound on that matter more thanks.
So..anyone have any idea on how the vehicle-NPC thing works? I guess me not putting a '?' got it missed, huh.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: September 16, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »

May I suggest a simplification? Add the "baked-in" tilesets as a switch in Options. One of the options will be Custom (See gfx.txt) and will use whatever is defined there. With the useful and improving Options menu, I think people look there instead of .ini files like in Dwarf Fortress.
It should be fairly trivial to just let you drop in a .png and a config file in a directory and present that as an option, just a matter of you know, doing it.

And yes, we will put damage reduction on vehicle parts, that is a totally reasonable thing to do.

So..anyone have any idea on how the vehicle-NPC thing works? I guess me not putting a '?' got it missed, huh.
Oh THAT, I wasn't sure if you were asking about the NPC boarding thing or the sidecar.
Simple enough:
Code: [Select]
case npc_follow_embarked:
  if (in_vehicle)
   move_pause();
  else {
   int p1;
   vehicle *veh = g->m.veh_at(g->u.posx, g->u.posy, p1);

if (!veh) {
    debugmsg("Following an embarked player with no vehicle at their location?");
    move_pause();
   } else {
    int p2 = veh->free_seat();
    if (p2 < 0) {
     move_pause();
    } else {
     int px = veh->global_x() + veh->parts[p2].precalc_dx[0];
     int py = veh->global_y() + veh->parts[p2].precalc_dy[0];
     update_path(g, px, py);

// TODO: replace extra hop distance with finding the correct door
     //       Hop in the last few squares is mostly to avoid player clash
     if (path.size() <= 2) {
      g->m.board_vehicle(g, px, py, this);
      move_pause();
     } else
      move_to_next(g);
    }
   }
  }
  break;
If the NPC is in "follow" mode and you board a vehicle, it switches their mode to "follow_embarked", in which case they head for the vehicle, and once they get in range they hop in.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:29:34 pm by azmodean »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: September 16, 2013, 04:25:14 pm »

You know, I've been thinking - the whole force carries through thing actually makes sense. to a certain extent. Imagine a car, but the part in the middle is made out of cardboard (say from the front of the front door to the back of the back). That part is going to crumple in a head on accident even if the front is sturdy enough to survive unscathed!  SO if we want something pseudorealistic we need to keep in mind that the weak point in the chain IS the most likely to break.

Theres still plenty of ways to make it better but its worth keeping in mind. If you really want something to stay safe for fragile bits you want some sort of shock absorbers like car crumple zones inside a rigid frame making sure the fragile elements only have to have their own weight absorbed
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:27:46 pm by GlyphGryph »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: September 16, 2013, 04:26:47 pm »

Sadly the weakpoint in the chain always happen to be your precious generators and fuel tanks.
At least set up a system that the armor built in the vehicle absorb damage first and then transfer the remainder to the rest of the systems.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: September 16, 2013, 04:33:20 pm »

The "good enough and can do it tonight" solution is to just attenuate the force based on distance from impact.  The simulationist-y part of my bran wants to render the vehicle as a connected graph of components and traverse the graph on impact, but that could take a while, and meanwhile the simple solution wouldn't interfere with that.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: September 16, 2013, 04:34:47 pm »

Here is an idea, a "shock absorber" part that stops the damage from going back past it, as long as it in below a certain level. If that level is exceeded than it breaks and transfers the damage anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: September 16, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »

At the VERY least, we should get the ability to 'reinforce part' either when you armor a tile every component in that tile is reinforced, or spend metal/time to make a single component resistant/immune to shock-through damage.  As it stands, even with the best armor and structure, solar panels are destroyed nearly instantly at every impact anywhere.

I've had situations where a parked vehicle can be smashed at by a zombie and destroy the headlights 2 tiles back.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1086