Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860402 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6015 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:46 am »

You passed out and I decided to take you home. Enjoy!

Dark humor aside, I would like there to be a pain threshold, perhaps dictated by strength?
Oh god.  I saw that and immediately thought of "Will-o'-Wisps will appear soon. Enjoy!"

If you get the reference, you'll understand my reaction to phrases that end with "Enjoy!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6016 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:17 am »

I'm unaware, what exactly is the issue with 'realistic vehicle collision' and what's changed when it got added?
Basically equations actually use physics now instead of your car just magically flattening anything in the road. The practical difference is that your car actually gets damaged from running into things instead of being an unstoppable force.

To be a little more specific the shrub problem is that vehicles crash into shrubs and stop dead, throwing the player from the vehicle and causing all sorts of damage.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: September 10, 2013, 11:36:45 am »

I'm unaware, what exactly is the issue with 'realistic vehicle collision' and what's changed when it got added?
Basically equations actually use physics now instead of your car just magically flattening anything in the road. The practical difference is that your car actually gets damaged from running into things instead of being an unstoppable force.

To be a little more specific the shrub problem is that vehicles crash into shrubs and stop dead, throwing the player from the vehicle and causing all sorts of damage.
Yeah I think that at least should be fixed...  Anything the player can walk/climb over can be fairly easily run over.  I usually stick to the roads, and leave the WARBUS at the edge of the city, so collisions are actually uncommon for me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:01 am »

So darn no more going through a city flattening zombies.
Just had a thought for cowcatcher type deal you could place on the front of a vehicle to reduce the impact of creatures.

Thing is really heavy so it slows ya down, but it's unlikely to take much damage from impacts itself, and it halves the force behind a car strike, reducing the damage to both the car and the zombie, while pushing the zombie to one side.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:09 am »

Interesting idea... I'd use it

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:14 am »

Yeah I think that at least should be fixed...  Anything the player can walk/climb over can be fairly easily run over.  I usually stick to the roads, and leave the WARBUS at the edge of the city, so collisions are actually uncommon for me.

When you put it that way, the solution sounds simple - just set a movecost threshold. Something that cost 200, for example, shouldn't hurt a vehicle. Something that costs 400 should, and a wall is just that - a wall.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: September 10, 2013, 12:20:40 pm »

Sorely tempted to try this again, but I know that I'll get nowhere because of wolves, zombies, starvation or plain old bad luck.

or a nasty bite wound.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: September 10, 2013, 12:36:11 pm »

Sorely tempted to try this again, but I know that I'll get nowhere because of wolves, zombies, starvation or plain old bad luck.

Do it! Here are my suggestions for a safe start: (People like bows; I don't)
- Start with a level in Mechanic
- Pop outside, grab a rock. Go back in, smash a locker. Go to crafting, and make a crowbar. It's a useful tool, and a reliable weapon.
- Look on the map, find a nearby town. If it's very small, well, consider restarting...
- Go to the outermost house. Break in through the door (activate the crowbar on it, the door remains intact) or through a back window

And you have a house. Don't bother with combat much - you're too fragile at this point. Your first three priorities should be:
- A place to sleep at that can be locked for the night
- Tailoring and clothing
- Food

Any house works for the first one, especially given that you can close windows that aren't broken

For the second, houses have many clothes. Practice sewing on them to repair/reinforce, and when they are damaged cut them up. Smash windows in other houses, and take the sheets (very large). You can cut those to rags, and rags to thread. This will give you a headstart on clothing. You want something like cargopants/hoodie/backpack as a great start for storage space. Reinforce everything as possible. Having fitting, reinforced clothes will go a long way in helping you survive. Animals also like tearing your clothes apart, so being able to repair them will help.

For the third, scavenging outlying houses will help you a lot in the first few days. Later on, you should have the equipment to reliably kill animals, and meat is a great source of food.

I hope this helps! I could easily put together a short video with this info if you'd like.

EDIT: Don't worry much about weapons; a crowbar will get you through much of what the game offers. Another great option is the nail bat. Try to avoid most guns, 9mm or .22 are your best options for something really quiet. A nailgun is a fantastic weapon vs zombies, and traps/pits are a great way to passively kill animals.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:39:00 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:44 pm »

When you put it that way, the solution sounds simple - just set a movecost threshold. Something that cost 200, for example, shouldn't hurt a vehicle. Something that costs 400 should, and a wall is just that - a wall.
Seems like a shame to fix it that easy. After all, some things are easy to walk on, but will utterly murder a vehicle. (Very uneven roads with loads of sharp rocks), pits and varia, or just a simple trench.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: September 10, 2013, 12:44:41 pm »

Seems like a shame to fix it that easy. After all, some things are easy to walk on, but will utterly murder a vehicle. (Very uneven roads with loads of sharp rocks), pits and varia, or just a simple trench.

Good point. Now I'm not a dev, but I enjoy thinking of coding solutions :P I would put a damage variable to movecost. Then, you could have various kinds of vehicles ignore some points of damage. So a 200movespeed bush would deal 5 damage; your average golf cart would suffer greatly. But something with heavier tires and/or plating would just go through it without noticing.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: September 10, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »

Good point. Now I'm not a dev, but I enjoy thinking of coding solutions :P I would put a damage variable to movecost. Then, you could have various kinds of vehicles ignore some points of damage. So a 200movespeed bush would deal 5 damage; your average golf cart would suffer greatly. But something with heavier tires and/or plating would just go through it without noticing.
This is likely a good idea as it would open the way to stuff like bulldozers, very slow, but capable of knocking down most barriers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: September 10, 2013, 01:13:42 pm »

So, I had another of my people die. This time to another bush. CURSE YOU, BUSHES!
Bushes are evil. Strange. You'd almost say this game has a political message.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: September 10, 2013, 01:51:45 pm »

Speaking of the cowcatcher idea, I tried it previously and it worked in the older version. Haven't gotten around to getting a welder with the new car physics, but a crash bar will be something I try when I get established. If there's collision damage specific to parts now, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Spiked plating welded onto a normal frame segment, maybe?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:37 pm »

So, I had another of my people die. This time to another bush. CURSE YOU, BUSHES!
Bushes are evil. Strange. You'd almost say this game has a political message.
We need a zombie version of the 'aliens' guy now.
I think he pretty much looks like one already. No way a person can have a hairdo that wacky and not be an evil zombie alien fro science and outer space!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:11 pm »

It works, but damage is transferred.  When you hit something with the front edge, some damage is sent towards the back edge, and fragile pieces like headlights can break despite not being hit.

The addition of the Vehicle Welding Rig and solar panels helps though.  You can effectively repair your car infinitely, which is actually much appreciated instead of consuming 50 battery to fix light green damage...

On that note, can you use a Vehicle Welding Rig to reinforce metal or plastic equipment?  The wiki says you can also use an integrated toolset as a sewing kit, but I don't know how to do that either.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 1086