Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859982 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Today seems like it'll be one of those fix-it days I think :P I'll take a look at the city gen code when I get the tiles toggle set up. Hopefully it doesn't require a complete rewrite. For now I'd say don't turn city size to max hehe.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Yeah. But I've waited this long, I can wait longer!

Will post screenie when it does finish

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Giving a quick once over before I take a nap (still haven't slept tonight for some damned reason) I think this is going to be a fun one to fix up :D I have a few papers to read over but I think I can make the process a bit faster.

Something akin to this, but a bit more fleshed out should work nicely:

In that picture, the white lines are major roadways, within the colored and numbered sections would be filled in with capillary roads and buildings. Of course, the roadways in Cataclysm can't just be connected diagonally, so a slight change to the connectivity algo will be needed to make it run diagonals as a stair step. I think that map took a few seconds to generate. Cataclysm has more stuff to place though, so I'm guessing it will take a few seconds longer to set up than the colorful picture :P
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting... well my computer sucks so that could also be why it's taking so long.

EDIT: I was thinking there should be an option to either spawn in a shelter or in a random building in the 'outskirts' of the town.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:48:36 am by Iceblaster »

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Maybe, but that picture was taken on my laptop which has pretty pitiful single core power. Kevingranade said it took a while on his machine as well, and the cities of that size are very impressive looking. They'll likely take at least a few game weeks to completely clear out by car :P

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does it help to mention I have a pitiful one gig of RAM?

I think more RAM helps with world gen right?

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Not really, no. It shouldn't be using extravagant amounts of RAM at the very start of a new game so you shouldn't be hitting any walls there.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright then I have no idea why it was taking so long.

Also update on that. Tuned the size down to eight, works fine now.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Is there an ASCII version of the newest build yet?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't currently allow switching tiles on and off. Initially, I was under the impression that the Tile Support build would be supplemental to the SDL Rendered Text build instead of completely replacing it. I'll get a fix for that implemented ASAP though.

That was the original plan, but then the windows curses build ended up quickly outpacing the speed of the SDL build, so... yeah. If you want to do ASCII use the curses version, not the SDL version.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:00:40 am by GlyphGryph »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Also update on that. Tuned the size down to eight, works fine now.
Yeah, in my experiences anything over 10 can take extraordinarily long amounts of time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

A question I kept forgetting to ask:  Can/does Cataclysm support more than just the one world, or can it only do just the one?  You know, like how DF can generate and hold several different worldgens.

If it can't, how hard would something like be to code in?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

You can just rename the save folder and name it back when you want access to it.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

@Farce: That is part of the World Factory additions, and I almost have those at a point that it's playable :D

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

Oh.  Jawesome.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1086