Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859620 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well this is a thing i suppose

or lexilogos or whatever

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He said something like:

Please! But you are totally cute Iceblaster-san!

Yay for 1 year of japanese in highschool and like 1.5 in college before I dropped out because I am a useless unproductive loser.

I think he should have said it differently though:

Iceblaster-san wa demo mattaku kawaii desu. Onegaishimasu!

I didn't really do any traveling to japan or learn what popular slang is like, so although I assume he was using onegaishimasu in the popular english context of please where its negating self deprecation I am not sure that works that way in japanese. I put it at the end cause it sort of fits there. Like, complement, then please as in please believe me or please don't think what you said previously about yourself was true.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:23:42 am by MoLAoS »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He said something like:

Yay for 1 year of japanese in highschool and like 1.5 in college before I dropped out because I am a useless unproductive loser.

give a man a fish and he'll be fed for a day

give a man a fishing rod and someone else will come around and say how he used to fish but stopped doing so because of reasons

still, it'd be nice if you stopped being so hard on yourself

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He said something like:

give a man a fish and he'll be fed for a day

give a man a fishing rod and someone else will come around and say how he used to fish but stopped doing so because of reasons

still, it'd be nice if you stopped being so hard on yourself

In this case the fishing rod would be you telling how to use hiragana or katakana in google translate? Google translate is kinda garbage in general. I mean it works but its pretty meh.

I remember we used to translate french cursewords in there when I took one of my 2 years of french in highschool, which I took after the Japanese teacher left due to fights over lgbt issues with our lesbian principle and other drama related shit, and it was not very inaccurate and did not allow you to produce grammatically correct sentences.

That white eagle romaji to hiragana thing is amazing though, it works perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:29:03 am by MoLAoS »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

I actually said something meaningful? YES! I knew watching Anime would be the equal of learning Japanese!
Now, armed with my knowledge of words like "Baka!" and "Inu!" and "Taskete!" I will go to Japan!

*Dies two minutes later from enraged Japanese*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually said something meaningful? YES! I knew watching Anime would be the equal of learning Japanese!
Now, armed with my knowledge of words like "Baka!" and "Inu!" and "Taskete!" I will go to Japan!

*Dies two minutes later from enraged Japanese*

A japanese person who knew English could probably understand you, as an english person who knows japanese can. You would get an F in Japanese for the sentence structure though.

There are actually a lot of tropes around anime watching kids who try to speak japanese. If it makes you feel any better, people who take japanese in highschool from a certain kind of japanese female teacher don't really learn it right either. My professor has a whole rant about this involving the teacher thinking americans are too dumb to learn real japanese and thus teaching kids a sort of pigeon form that drives him totally nuts. He is a bald white guy from Kentucky and his face turns the most amazing shade of red. Sometimes I would use "anata" in a sentence just to see him go tomato. I'm so nice.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

In this case the fishing rod would be you telling how to use hiragana or katakana in google translate? Google translate is kinda garbage in general. I mean it works but its pretty meh.

...and it was not very inaccurate and did not allow you to produce grammatically correct sentences.
It's actually gotten quite a lot better now (at least with German, which was the language I was messing around with). The key is to type in the entire sentence at once to be translated, since then it will try to apply grammar rules if needed.

Also how did we go from talking about cataclysm to discussing foreign languages? ???
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cute r-s San Te Oh bl example c are all even Zhu! That Mai please

R-'s but totally cute Te s bl example c Oh well. Please!

Mr. But is totally cute. Please!

For reference here is what google translate spits out after you convert the romaji to hiragana on whiteagle.net for what the original person said, for what I said, and for what I said after taking out iceblaster because the converter craps itself when trying to convert iceblaster.

So using google translate even converted to hiragana would not have helped iceablaster much trying to translate what was originally said.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I leave to play a bit of Splinter cell and I come back to people talking about Japanese.

I don't know what to think :P

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Mister Butt is totally cute. Please!
That sounds like the start of a bad communication mistake for any Harem Protagonist.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mister Butt is totally cute. Please!
That sounds like the start of a bad communication mistake for any Harem Protagonist.

Lol.

Sadly machines have a long way to go before we get the universal translator.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Naze konna hentekorin no mono ni nattenno? Aho ka?

Anyways, I think funnels are bugged, they don't seem to work anymore. I can take them down but don't get the refill option.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Examine a funnel while it's raining.  It'll ask if you want to drink or refill a container.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

That's what I usually do but it's not working in the Latest Experimental version.

Weyrling

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re
« Reply #5639 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »

Funnels now fill up the first container under them, so drop a bottle on the same square as the funnel and wait awhile.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1086