Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859669 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5280 on: August 15, 2013, 08:38:01 am »

Locked doors will open from the inside as well.  Direction actually matters when you're opening doors!
   Unless your in an apartment complex because I was just in one and the doors to the main hallway did their best honey badger impression from both sides. Of course then I broke out the crowbar but thats neither here nor there.
   In other news those of you that watch my videos know that I have been going through the professions lately and the most recent one was the handyman. It is quite a nice profession even when you start with just that. The hammer you start with when used as a weapon will let you get 3 hits in on a zombie on difficult terrain and the toolbelt really helps with early game volume issues. If you want to see me clear out an apartment building you can find the video here
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: August 15, 2013, 08:47:45 am »

I was just so used to going s(mash) that I didn't even think about it. I was caught up in the adrenalinic moment I suppose.

You've clearly got a sharply honed "drama" reaction. And smashing the window out was probably significantly cooler. (just wait until jumping is in and you can dive through a closed window! Though... probably not an undamaged house one. )
You dive at the window!
The window doesn't break, and you break your neck.
Game over.

YASD, the true sign of a Roguelike.  :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: August 15, 2013, 10:26:20 am »

Discussion ahoy!

I was just so used to going s(mash) that I didn't even think about it. I was caught up in the adrenalinic moment I suppose.

You've clearly got a sharply honed "drama" reaction. And smashing the window out was probably significantly cooler. (just wait until jumping is in and you can dive through a closed window! Though... probably not an undamaged house one. )
Query GG:

I've noticed the added items. Is there any notice of any..notes, perhaps? Subtle notes that forward the story for beginner players to pick up? Perhaps like one in the shelter? :)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: August 15, 2013, 01:28:10 pm »

Aaand time for a new topic

I've gotten into a new game, called State of Decay. It's an indie game with amazing production value, that I discovered through let's plays.

Why do I mention it? They were inspired HEAVILY by Cataclysm :D Which makes me happy, because I'm usually really bad at spotting references. The whole thing really has a similar feel to Cata, and that once more, makes me happy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile

I apologize for responding to the situation.
Anyway, I'm fairly new to Cataclysm in general, and I came here to ask:
What is typically the easiest path to take? The farthest I've ever got was with an archer character, but I died to an infected bite. Lesson learned, you can use first aid kits to treat bites. Anyway, I've only been into roguelikes for about a year and a half, and I must say I am incompetent at most of them.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

What is typically the easiest path to take? The farthest I've ever got was with an archer character, but I died to an infected bite. Lesson learned, you can use first aid kits to treat bites. Anyway, I've only been into roguelikes for about a year and a half, and I must say I am incompetent at most of them.

On infections, you can also use a knife and a fire source (like a lighter) to cauterize them. Lots of pain, but it works well and requires very little material on-hand to do. Also stops bleeding!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

On infections, you can also use a knife and a fire source (like a lighter) to cauterize them. Lots of pain, but it works well and requires very little material on-hand to do. Also stops bleeding!
But don't use it in the middle of anything important. I once made the mistake of cauterising every bite while running from zombies, and I found that moving from safe spot to safe spot was getting harder and harder due to the pain slowdown.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Speaking of, aspirin or codeine? Codeine is much harder to find, while aspirin is easier but has less of an effect. Also, I occasionally take more then two aspirins, but I don't get a bigger pain comedown. Why's that?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of, aspirin or codeine? Codeine is much harder to find, while aspirin is easier but has less of an effect. Also, I occasionally take more then two aspirins, but I don't get a bigger pain comedown. Why's that?

If it's anything like reality, aspirin is one of the weaker pain killers in the grand scheme of things. Codeine is significantly stronger, but has other effects such as being addictive. Also, eating too much aspirin really doesn't do much other than greatly damage your liver. Apparently, a real problem in the States...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it's anything like reality, aspirin is one of the weaker pain killers in the grand scheme of things. Codeine is significantly stronger, but has other effects such as being addictive. Also, eating too much aspirin really doesn't do much other than greatly damage your liver. Apparently, a real problem in the States...

There are not many over the counter pain relievers and aspirin is the cheapest. It's also the recommended blood thinner for anyone over 40.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

So I've been eyeing this for a while now since it seems pretty interesting. And have been wondering, how much of a brick wall is it to get into the game?

Ideally my approach (as with most roguelikes) would be a balls first jump into the deep end of the pool kind of move and to start learning by doing stuff. Would that be good in any way?

Mostly asking because my gaming time is severly limited for the forseeable future so anything that would take longer to learn than an average play session could last isn't exactly the best choice I fear.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Ideally my approach (as with most roguelikes) would be a balls first jump into the deep end of the pool kind of move and to start learning by doing stuff. Would that be good in any way?
You wouldn't do much worse than someone who had carefully researched the game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

And so Vladmir Dimitri VII died after I got cocky driving my beatle further in, in the hopes of finding another gun store

I found a bunch of shit on a military corpse pile thing outside of the evac shelter. Then I found a car. Loaded all that shit into the strunk and began towards a suburbs to the northeast. Looted a few houses. Found a gunstore. Got three guns with at least three full magazines for each, and then found a junkie corpse pile with all this methaphetamine and THEN I found death.

I might take a break for a bit. THat is just too crushing of the spirits for me.

There are not many over the counter pain relievers and aspirin is the cheapest. It's also the recommended blood thinner for anyone over 40.

I wonder... is it possible to overdose on Aspirin?

So I've been eyeing this for a while now since it seems pretty interesting. And have been wondering, how much of a brick wall is it to get into the game?

Mostly asking because my gaming time is severly limited for the forseeable future so anything that would take longer to learn than an average play session could last isn't exactly the best choice I fear.

Keep the wiki up and if you don't know how to do something(LIke refueling a car) You can easily look that up instead of stumbling around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Excellent, I'll be starting soon, hopefully my first attempt will be atleast entertaining to watch in a "Holy crap look how quickly he got mauled!!" kind of way ^^
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It's actually fairly easy to get in to as roguelikes go. There's a full ingame help menu that lists all of the keybinds, as well as a tutorial. Granted, I have noticed in recent builds that it is much easier to die early on, thanks to things like infection and smoke inhalation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1086