Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859992 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5265 on: August 14, 2013, 03:31:56 pm »

My character, which I named Brian, passed through a minefield without even realizing there was one.

The zombie horde behind him exploded.

This happened and I was just like "WTF!? AHAHAHAHAH!" my character will probably die in the next five minutes, having used all his luck.
Upside of spending all your points on Perception is that you can see the mines beforehand and avoid them, effectively doing that without having to rely on luck.

And of course, being OP with bows. Another upside of spending all your points on Perception.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5266 on: August 14, 2013, 03:37:33 pm »

You don't need to spend all of them on perception, just get it up to 10 and you're fine.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: August 14, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »

You don't need to spend all of them on perception, just get it up to 10 and you're fine.
IIRC 11 is the point where you can see landmines, and you probably want to go to at least 12-13 so that you are protected from glare/eye encumbrance.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5268 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:01 pm »

Brian is a Gordon Freeman imitation.

He now has a Suit, an Utility Vest, a Military Rucksack and is using a Crowbar.

Furthermore he killed a Zombie Cop. I'm sure that counts as killing a Combine, right?

And I did a Benny Hill run around the town being pursued by a horde of hungry zombies and let me tell you, it was glorious!

There were dozens of them coming after me, and I had to break the glass of a house, get in, rush all the way to the other side and break a glass on the other side to escape!

Furthermore, I also passed through cars to slow down the hordes (Stupid Zombies, trying to move past the frames!)

And then came the land mines at the end.
So perception 12-13 prevents glare? Didn't know about that.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »

It doesn't prevent glare.  It's just that Glare gives -2-ish perception penalty, so if you're at 12 then you're still at 10 on a sunny day.  It just compensates.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: August 15, 2013, 01:32:12 am »

You know you can just use you crowbar to pry windows open rather than breaking them?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: August 15, 2013, 02:01:31 am »

You know you can just use you crowbar to pry windows open rather than breaking them?
Yeah, though there is a chance that you will break them when attempting to pry them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:59 am »

True, but it's still less likely than breaking them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5273 on: August 15, 2013, 02:27:36 am »

I was being pursued by zombies. Had no time for it.
Although I did know I could pry open Doors, I didn't know that about windows.

So, is there a difference (except the obvious 'less noise equals less zombie coming for you')
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: August 15, 2013, 02:32:52 am »

I was being pursued by zombies. Had no time for it.
Although I did know I could pry open Doors, I didn't know that about windows.

So, is there a difference (except the obvious 'less noise equals less zombie coming for you')

ZZ.............................|
Z............................@+
.Z..............................|

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that when you are being chased like that, having a door to shot on them to buy you time to take a quick look and get the fuck out, it's a big difference

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5275 on: August 15, 2013, 04:54:30 am »

You do make sense. I actually did that further down the road.
(The actual 'hunt' was something like this)

Z.....|____+____
Z..@+..........+....0
Z.....|____+____

(where 0 is the glass)
I crashed through the first door, pried open the second, closed it behind me and then broke the window and went straight through.
I felt like running from the War Z movie zombies...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: August 15, 2013, 04:56:08 am »

Wait, so you were opening the window from inside the house?

Dude, you don't even need to PRY for that, you can just straight up open them!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5277 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:35 am »

*Brian Facepalms*

I was just so used to going s(mash) that I didn't even think about it. I was caught up in the adrenalinic moment I suppose.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: August 15, 2013, 07:18:35 am »

Locked doors will open from the inside as well.  Direction actually matters when you're opening doors!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:11 am »

I was just so used to going s(mash) that I didn't even think about it. I was caught up in the adrenalinic moment I suppose.

You've clearly got a sharply honed "drama" reaction. And smashing the window out was probably significantly cooler. (just wait until jumping is in and you can dive through a closed window! Though... probably not an undamaged house one. )
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1086