Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861005 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5085 on: July 28, 2013, 02:55:15 pm »

Do arm splints work? I broke my arm, and put on a splint, but it isn't getting better.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: July 28, 2013, 03:11:09 pm »

Do arm splints work? I broke my arm, and put on a splint, but it isn't getting better.
If you break an arm, you'll probably have to wait a good while for it to fix.

At present, however, I have no idea how splints work, as I haven't played cataclysm for a good while.
If you broke an arm and place a splint, then it take a few game day to heal up. Try to take it easy and avoid trouble while it heals.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: July 28, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »

If you're running through the streets, broken cars are just as good, if not better, at slowing down zombies.
A 'frame' and a 'window' have 400 movement cost, so passing over a car takes as long as climbing through a window.  If you build an 'aisle' in your vehicle, as seen in buses, then it's 100 movement - the same as open street and applicable to any "you do X while on easy footing" rules.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: July 28, 2013, 07:05:48 pm »

Nobody mentioned bushes?  Those are great for single zombies or widely spaced groups.  Not as good as a window because you can't handle multiples

Sure you can.  It just takes longer.  Herd them around.  Use diagonals.  You're unlikely to get more than 2-3 attacks off on one zombie at a time before the ones behind him step forward and force you to move on to the next bush, but that's usually enough to take out one zombie with a crowbar or nail board or something, even unskilled.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: July 28, 2013, 08:11:14 pm »

wh-
I-
What the fuck happened to zombie dogs?

I've lost somewhere near twenty fucking characters to the little buggers.

They used to be lower-key wolves, but now they are suddenly buffed as shit and, unless I get it alone, can fucking dance around me tapping one body part until i'm dead.

Seriously, this is the most annoying shit ever. I haven't gotten a single fucking backpack since the fucking first character because my fucking evac center ends up raided by either giant ants or zombie dogs. it's rediculous!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: July 28, 2013, 08:18:15 pm »

wh-
I-
What the fuck happened to zombie dogs?

I've lost somewhere near twenty fucking characters to the little buggers.

They used to be lower-key wolves, but now they are suddenly buffed as shit and, unless I get it alone, can fucking dance around me tapping one body part until i'm dead.

Seriously, this is the most annoying shit ever. I haven't gotten a single fucking backpack since the fucking first character because my fucking evac center ends up raided by either giant ants or zombie dogs. it's rediculous!
This too, without the expletives and severity.

Being zombie dogs, there should at least be a speed decrease, and some kind of buff added to them from canon lore on why there are zombies and what drives said zombies.

Like making more noise.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: July 28, 2013, 08:23:31 pm »

zombie dogs act a lot like coyotes do now, so luring them into shrubs and beating them to death is the simplest way of killing them. I've personally had no issue with them.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5092 on: July 28, 2013, 08:27:31 pm »

In 0.7.1 they're not too much of a problem. Early they're a pain, but you can still use the same window/car/shrub tactics you use against everything else.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: July 28, 2013, 09:03:29 pm »

Just stand still.  The biggest danger, like wolves and coyote, are that they'll attack you once and then jump away for some distance.  The danger here is that if you take a step, especially if you're already slow, then you've used turns that round.  The dog moves in fast and attacks fast.  If you have low movement points, then the dog will strike while you're slowly moving.

If you're facing dogs, then your best bet is to stand still, and possibly equip a very fast weapon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5094 on: July 28, 2013, 09:17:16 pm »

Or just shoot em. Really, always put a point in archery and survival, even if you don't ever intend to use bows after the start. You can make a passable bow and arrows from stuff in the shelter and it will help you survive day one until you can get a better weapon.

Or just smash a locker and get a pipe. Pipes are decent makeshift weapons.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: July 28, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »

Pipe + rock = crowbar.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: July 29, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »

smash a bench or two, rock+boards+nails=Nail board with no skills needed that is a pretty damn good weapon
Nom nom nom

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: July 29, 2013, 04:59:03 pm »

I prefer crowbar to nailboard anyhow.

I'm having much better luck now, found some corpse parties with profuse amounts of Mikor GL ammo. As well, i've found a Saiga 12 which has made emergencies much more bearable (Even if I did use most of the ammo completing the Jabberwock quest). Now I need to find antibiotics, but my town doesn't have a pharmacy. I guess this means I start siphoning gas into a working car.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5098 on: July 29, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »

I prefer electrics. Much easier to procure fuel for. Now if only I could avoid running the into walls. In that vein, is there any talk about changing vision while in cars? Say, moving the player so they're at the edge of the screen, putting more into view? Or allowing you to shrink the font, brniging more into view?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: July 29, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »

I prefer electrics. Much easier to procure fuel for. Now if only I could avoid running the into walls. In that vein, is there any talk about changing vision while in cars? Say, moving the player so they're at the edge of the screen, putting more into view? Or allowing you to shrink the font, brniging more into view?

Capital H, J, K, and L move the camera. Also be sure to expand the viewport width/height in the options menu.

Edit: Oh, and 'G' recenters it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:21:24 pm by UrbanGiraffe »
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 1086