Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861556 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4935 on: July 22, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »

When that time arrives, I will develop the BOOZEBLIMP which specializes in mobile potato farming, fermenting, luxury lounging, and casual floating travel.  I'll be a heft 5x5 or 7x7 platform, maybe 5x7, with open outdoor lounging, farming, solar fermenting, and a heavily armored mini-house to hide from the rain and zombies.  Softly floats from one survivor camp to another selling bootleg vodka.

Also, had a few thoughts on flight.
Every aerial item would provide a 'lift' stat, a helium balloon might provide 1, a zeppelin frame might give 10, an antigravity sphere 20... and wings would give something like 5.
1: Lighter-than-air would be simple.  If lift > weight -> allow raising.
2: Powered flight would depend on speed.  (Speed/10) * wing_lift = lift.  So if you're traveling at 20mph, and you have 2 wings that are rated at 5 each, then you get (20/10)*5 twice, totaling 10 per wing, so 20 total lift.  If your weight is less than 20, then you're able to control your ascent.

If you have air-capable thrust (ie: not tires) then you can maintain your speed.  If you do not, then you lose speed over time.  If you have ascent control (ie: your wings have control surfaces) then you can raise altitude at the cost of speed, or lower altitude and gain speed.  You should also be able to angle the wings down to keep from lifting off, to a certain speed, by keeping the flaps raised.  When you've picked up some speed (by your motorcycle tires) then you can drop the flaps and let the wings lift you - immediately beginning to lose speed because you no longer have wheels on the ground but you should have built up sufficient speed to carry you a distance.

The effect is that you should be able to slap wings on a bike, keep the wings angled 'down' as you pick up speed, then flip the wings 'up' and use your momentum to glide across a river, thicket of forest, zombie horde, etc.

This should ideally stack with LTA items.  Having a balloon would mean you don't need to go as quickly to lift off, so very large vehicles could utilize Wings and LTA to combine lift values and make powered flight somewhat easier.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: July 22, 2013, 06:50:44 pm »

I like the idea of the motorcycle glider.
Someone is obviously going to outfit one for the purposes of skipping across city rooftops. It'll be like Mirror's Edge but louder and more explosive.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: July 22, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »

Someone is obviously going to outfit one for the purposes of skipping across city rooftops. It'll be like Mirror's Edge but louder and more explosive.
And more misjudging heights and crashing through windows.

Let's be honest, more correctly judging heights and intentionally crashing into walls.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: July 22, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »

And more misjudging heights and crashing through windows.

Let's be honest, more correctly judging heights and intentionally crashing into walls.
You mean the other way around? Crashing into walls on mistake, smashing through windows to blaze through an office on purpose.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:07 pm »

"ALRIGHT!  We're gonna accelerate as fast as we can down this road and then achieve lift!"
"Boss Ma'am, the street's not long enough!  We're going to hit that Clothing Store!"
"KEEP ACCELERATING!"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »

"ALRIGHT!  We're gonna accelerate as fast as we can down this road and then achieve lift!"
"Boss Ma'am, the street's not long enough!  We're going to hit that Clothing Store!"
"KEEP ACCELERATING!"
Are there already aviation goggles the game? Because if we're getting flying we need those. Either for not fucking with your perception or just because they're awesome.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: July 22, 2013, 07:12:06 pm »

"KEEP ACCELERATING!"
Are there already aviation goggles the game? Because if we're getting flying we need those. Either for not fucking with your perception or just because they're awesome.
That would be neat- on high places where the wind can mess with your vision or speed.
I need to put something interesting here.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:47 pm »

I sure hope we can tie the balloons to a harness or something and just have a balloon vest. Fly through the air, so majestic.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:09 pm »

... Until a Spitter acid-barfs on half of your balloons, causing you to fall to an unflattering death.

We are going to need an anti-air and anti-vehicle zombie eventually, methinks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »

... Until a Spitter acid-barfs on half of your balloons, causing you to fall to an unflattering death.

We are going to need an anti-air and anti-vehicle zombie eventually, methinks.
If that happens, then it's exactly as intended.

Also, balloon lawn chairs.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: July 22, 2013, 09:55:05 pm »

Tie your weapons/pots/pot/pants to the side as ballast! Then you can shoot the Spitters, slowly rising higher as you lose bullet weight, all while comfy.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »

So, I turned NPCs on to test them out a bit in the latest version. Turns out, making longbows is very overpowered pricewise. For some string and a stick you can buy up 50 rounds of ammo plus akido training.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: July 22, 2013, 11:43:59 pm »

Do you know how hard it is to make a quality, usable bow? It's a bitch. Ammo is cheap in the apocalypse, bowyers are hard to come by.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:36 am »

The student profession starts you with all the items in your inventory set to "d" (Apart from your clothes.) And gives you a error:item missing.
I think it try's to start you with a zombie survival guide, like it says in the discription of it, but there isn't a zombie survival guide.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:57 am »

Girlinhat
Solid proposal for lift surfaces, also handles gliding from altitude, and intermittent power sources (rockets!)
Re: farming, etc, yea that was my point, a framework for long-term changes (I'm still fiddling around trying to come up with a good name) will enable a huge amount of features.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 1086