Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861573 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4920 on: July 22, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »

Vehicles in a megacity are actually very useless.  The only thing you can navigate with is a bicycle or similar size.  Anything larger gets gridlocked with the wrecks.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:43 pm »

Vehicles in a megacity are actually very useless.  The only thing you can navigate with is a bicycle or similar size.  Anything larger gets gridlocked with the wrecks.

Unless you have a Semi, because then nothing can stop you

I've gone through houses without much trouble in that thing, killed hundreds of zombies, sent countless cars flying...
I need to put something interesting here.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: July 22, 2013, 04:02:52 pm »

I apologize for relatively useless humour. Your posts just make me giggle due to associations :P

"Traffic... traffic never changes...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: July 22, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »

Unless you have a Semi, because then nothing can stop you

I've gone through houses without much trouble in that thing, killed hundreds of zombies, sent countless cars flying...
You've seen my WARBUS.  The problem is when you hit a vehicle and destroy part of it, the part just becomes an 'X' that you still collide with and deals damage to you.  In a packed street, you quickly ram all the wrecks together and then your vehicle has no chance of pushing through.  The only way to break through a crowded street is to get out and disassemble the cars completely.

If a destroyed vehicle tile totally disappeared, or if very high damage could obliterate a vehicle into lumps and chunks, then maybe.  But as it is, navigating a packed street is only possible with a bicycle.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4924 on: July 22, 2013, 04:34:17 pm »

Which says to me that it's working perfectly.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: July 22, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

Doesn't really make sense that vehicles would be harder to go through than a house though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4926 on: July 22, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »

Nah man. Hollywood physics. You can drive your car through a bank vault without denting it, but even slightly bump another car and you're flipping through the air and exploding.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: July 22, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »

It may seem like all of the apocalypse scenarios are fictional, but one of them is metafictional. Michael Bay has become the director of reality.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: July 22, 2013, 04:41:25 pm »

No, it actually makes a great deal of sense. Even a completely mangled wreck is still a car. Even torched, there is still enough left that another vehicle would have to shove it out of the way. And if you have 20 torched cars piled together? Nothing would get through.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4929 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »

For the font issue on windows SDL, Have you tried just using the name of the font, e.g. "Terminus" in FONTDATA?  I'm not totally sure about windows, but that's how it works on linux.

This...worked. I'd tried "TerminusBold-4.38.ttf" and "TerminusBold-4.38" to no effect, but just "Terminus" on the first line and it finally worked. Many thanks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: July 22, 2013, 05:11:24 pm »

No, it actually makes a great deal of sense. Even a completely mangled wreck is still a car. Even torched, there is still enough left that another vehicle would have to shove it out of the way. And if you have 20 torched cars piled together? Nothing would get through.
The problem is, when you hit another vehicle it's send flying directly forward.  You cannot push it to the side or otherwise clear a path.  You can also NEVER level a car.  Even striking it at 500mph with a semi truck still leaves it as an indestructible lump.  There should be a limit that after an amount of damage, it's been bashed, mangled, and enough parts lost that it crumbles into debris and lets you drive over easily.

If you're implying that a car chassis has the magical ability to never be crushed flat, then there's something bigger wrong here.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: July 22, 2013, 05:18:18 pm »

Yea you're right about batteries, a battery should have a fixed weight/volume, and a current(ha)/max charge level that doesn't have anything to do with its gross physical properties.  Similarly you should be able to set up an engine and alternator to charge said batteries, albeit incredibly inefficiently.  Mor ability with mechanicals and electronics would lead to better generators.

For medium-scale power handling, the obvious thing to do is split out car batteries from the engine, you'd have access to all of these you could handle due to the car hulks scattered around.  You should be able to get pretty far with just stealing batteries out of cars and not worrying about power generation.

To make this act consistently, we need a "long-term activity" infrastructure that has various items updated when loaded onto the map, and periodically when on the active map.  Really we're running into situations where we need this for all kinds of things, so I'll be making it a priority.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: July 22, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »

If we get things like 'slowly charging generators' then that's the exact same framework we'd need for growing crops.  More specifically, things like solar gardens or hotboxes (mounted in cars of course!) that gain 'charge' during sunlight or while burning energy (UV bulbs) and when they reach certain 'charge' levels produce crop items.

Could add all SORTS of options for slow-progression items.  Item rot could be converted in a sort of 'pressure cooker' that could be used to make methane, grow special fungus, ferment booze (!), hatch chickens, sun-dry meats and fruits...  All SORTS of things!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: July 22, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »

ferment booze (!)
Once this is in, it's time for me to set myself up on a farm, grow potatoes, and produce bathtub vodka. Then fight my way into the nearest town's survival shelter, and sell it to the NPC resistance. I will setup a cottage industry of bathtub vodka, and zombie tooth necklaces.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: July 22, 2013, 06:19:33 pm »

ferment booze (!)
Once this is in, it's time for me to set myself up on a farm, grow potatoes, and produce bathtub vodka. Then fight my way into the nearest town's survival shelter, and sell it to the NPC resistance. I will setup a cottage industry of bathtub vodka, and zombie tooth necklaces.
Bathtubs are for scrubs. Hand-crafted wooden barrels are what the pros make their alcohol in.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1086