Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861379 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4905 on: July 22, 2013, 10:46:17 am »

The 0.7.1 release for windows using catacurses is at http://ci.narc.ro/job/Cataclysm-Win32/167/artifact/cataclysmdda-0.7.1.zip

In experimental we have headlights you can install facing different directions! (cardinals and sub-cardinals, relative to vehicle facing)  I'm pretty sure you can get 360deg lighting now.  Need to sort out mirrors.  Also internal lights that are weaker but shine in all directions...

For the font issue on windows SDL, Have you tried just using the name of the font, e.g. "Terminus" in FONTDATA?  I'm not totally sure about windows, but that's how it works on linux.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4906 on: July 22, 2013, 10:53:49 am »

Any ideas on vehicle-mounted lasers?  A modified Charge Rifle or a variant of the finger-laser would be fun.  Ideally something that fires off only energy.

Additionally, being able to siphon batteries/water/hydrogen/etc from vehicles would be very nice.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4907 on: July 22, 2013, 11:20:38 am »

All for siphoning water, but It would seem odd to be able to generate batteries from thin air.  Perhaps we could get a new item that could be like a jerrycan for electric cars?   A portable battery cell that can drain a car's batteries and store the energy within itself, but unlike a jerrycan the power can't be extracted in any way except to refuel another vehicle.

It prevents you from gaining infinite batteries, but it allows you to have an immobile solar power station 'car' back at your base that you can extract power from and then put that in your electric deathmobile that has no place for fragile solar panels.  If we ever get any kind of power generation system might even be able to plug those directly into the generator to power stuff without the generator actually running, or to recharge the battery.

If we actually wanna be able to turn car power into battery power it seems to my non coder eyes that the batteries would have to be reworked into individual containers that get drained when you load the power into something, and get refilled like water bottles when you choose to unload something.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:28:17 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:27 am »

There could be changes to the UPS, preventing it from being Unloaded, so no batteries could be removed, but if it's turned on then any tool will draw from it by plugging in.  That way you could 'siphon' a vehicle into a UPS and make it usable.

A gasoline-powered generator for vehicles might be fun too.  Mounted to a vehicle, burns gasoline to fill the vehicle's batteries.

I think any way you look at it, batteries are rapidly becoming less important.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4909 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:32 pm »

Yeah, batteries should probably get an update. They don't really make sense right now.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4910 on: July 22, 2013, 12:18:37 pm »

Batteries at the moment are distinct packets of energy  wherein 1 battery equals 1 turn of power for a flashlight. Quite a weird system. The biggest problem is how would you change them? Complicated you could try going realistic and have AA and AAA along with all the other forms of batteries but that would just make reimplementing their use harder. As they are they work and I don't at the moment see a better system for them. To find one a lot of people would need to bonce ideas back and forth for a bit and I am not really integrated into the dev side enough at the moment to really help with that (I really should try to become more a part of it but thats neither here nor there when it comes to batteries).
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4911 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:42 pm »

can you have an item with charge be placed within another item? Like out your battery(20 charge) into you flashlight?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »

I had an idea for a mountable electrical outlet for cars, so that you could plug in your tools when within 2 steps of the vehicle. But then I realized that it might be overpowered, as welders run off batteries and that would mean the first solar car you found you'd have access to unlimited car modifications. Perhaps there should be several types of welders. One that runs off gasoline (not actually workable IRL I know, but this is a world in which batteries are condensed electricity and nothing else) and one that runs off electricity.

Also, I had an idea for differentation between various tools when crafting. Spoilered for horrifically ugly psuedocode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: July 22, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »

can you have an item with charge be placed within another item? Like out your battery(20 charge) into you flashlight?

I'm assuming you're asking how to move a charge from one item to your flashlight. To answer your question, you can.

You take the first powered item, (U)nload it to get a set of batteries with whatever amount of charge it has left, (If you take batteries from a welder with a charge of [50] then you will get batteries with a charge of [50])

Then you take the item you want to use the batteries, and (R)eload it, and it will gain the same 50 charges from the previous item.
I need to put something interesting here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:04 pm »

No, what he was asking is if you can put a charged item into an item.

For instance, could you load "Glass Bottle of Gasoline [5]" into a "Homemade Flamethrower"?  Flamethrowers only accept Gasoline, not Bottle of Gasoline.

If items could be loaded with items loaded with items, then batteries could be charged and discharged to leave empty battery casings.  But then the problem is "why bother with casings?" and how much would this add to the game?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: July 22, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »

No, what he was asking is if you can put a charged item into an item.

For instance, could you load "Glass Bottle of Gasoline [5]" into a "Homemade Flamethrower"?  Flamethrowers only accept Gasoline, not Bottle of Gasoline.

If items could be loaded with items loaded with items, then batteries could be charged and discharged to leave empty battery casings.  But then the problem is "why bother with casings?" and how much would this add to the game?
It would be quick and dirty vs long but sustainable. Batteries could be made rarer, assuming that alternative gasoline based approaches were provided. Thus, do you hold on to all the easy to fuel but will eventually run out gasoline tools, or do you carry the electrical counterparts, which run off the same universally charged batteries, but the batteries take time to recharge and require a means to do so, be it a noisy generator which can quickly top them off, or a long, slow charging but silent solar panel. Or maybe a jury rigged hydro plant, that requires a source of running water. Or a hand crank system, slow, tiring, but easy to make.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: July 22, 2013, 02:55:02 pm »

how big cities can be in dda? I'm playing for one week and I'm disapointed that I never spawn in a megalopolis :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: July 22, 2013, 03:09:01 pm »

how big cities can be in dda? I'm playing for one week and I'm disapointed that I never spawn in a megalopolis :P
They CAN be massive.  In older versions I've had MASSIVE cities, with 4-wide roadways with small parks in the middle!  It was still a rare spawn type though...

What we need is a few world gen options for things like "dump me into the middle of New York".

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »

They CAN be massive.  In older versions I've had MASSIVE cities, with 4-wide roadways with small parks in the middle!  It was still a rare spawn type though...

What we need is a few world gen options for things like "dump me into the middle of New York".

"There are still no cabs..."
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »

Additional feature of said start. All road tiles have vehicles. None of those vehicles have wheels or an engine.

"There are still no cabs..."
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1086