Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861439 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4665 on: July 16, 2013, 03:26:02 pm »

People, you are looking away from the important thing. If we get balloons, we need blunderbusses! WE WILL FIGHT WITH BALLOONS AND BLUNDERBUSSES!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: July 16, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »

People, you are looking away from the important thing. If we get balloons, we need blunderbusses! WE WILL FIGHT WITH BALLOONS AND BLUNDERBUSSES!
Shotgun slugs are essentially that.  A 12 gauge shotgun shell as a single solid bullet, enormous.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: July 16, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »

I was hoping this included things like "you fold the frame down, deploying the 'board' into '2 frames'.
So like a gangplank or mini drawbridge thingy?
cars will have roofs... that you can stand on. Have to keep that in mind.
If we're going to do boats or tall vehicles, will they also have bottoms?  Or is it just assumed that any tile you build has a sturdy floor?
Not so much no, in a vehicle if you don't build one of the "floor" tiles, it's assumed to be just support structure, hence the move penalty to moving around in it.  Obviously we'd have to do something to check for a hull with a boat, so you can sink it if you smash things.  Probably just require a "hull" component as the base for each stack of components, and total up the number of tiles covered to assess buyoancy, not that I think that'll often be a limiting factor except on the smallest boats.  Heh, folding kayak.  If you build a vehicle up, again the frame components would just be bars and such, you could climb on and through them, but that'd be subject to whatever we do with climbing, which would be suboptimal for e.g. a shooting platform or a sleeping location.

Boats are a whole different thing, they're technically feasable, but kind of pointless with the macro-scale of our maps right now, especially with no way to go over bridges.  Bridges will probably be bumped up a level once we have that in and that'd make the rivers mostly navagable.  But even with that, it'll be a hard sell to put a lot of resources into a boat too big to portage since it's almost certain to be landlocked to only a handful of overmaps.  Now that I think of it amphibious vehicles make far more sense than regular boats.  Also I'm pretty sure we'd just have them be dumb and skate across the water rather than actually dealing with displacement.

Blunderbusses are flared musket like guns, and often fired bunches of shot.
And yea, we've been discussing black-powder weapons on the cataclysm forums, and on IRC for that matter.  That one's only a matter of time too.  Nice thing about black-powder funs* is they're far more feasable to craft yourself.

*This is a typo but I'm just going to leave it.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: July 16, 2013, 03:50:48 pm »

I'd like to see a variety of folding vehicle components, including walls that can fold down (heavily armored doors), roof tiles that can selectively open (sunroofs), deactivating engines (turn to gasoline ONLY during night), pushing turrets out on extendable struts or retracting into protective bays, etc.  Obviously deploying gliding wings would be very fun.

I really want amphibious vehicles, myself!  Airland plane WARBUS would be my ideal goal.  With indoor hot-tub.  Especially if vehicles could sink into water and still run (air intake is on a long pipe) then you could easily hide in a riverbed, or (!) find rare loot in water-tight vehicles at the bottom of a river.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: July 16, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »

Haha, if you have your way we'll have an ASCII vehicle simulator with an apocalyptic roguelike bolted to the side.

Actually we have a feature request for a racing sub-game on the forums 0_o

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: July 16, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »

Folding vehicles sound great. I was going to just haul around the parts to a recumbent bike so I could build it on the spot if I needed to, but... there's really no practical use for it for me.

Would the ease of crafting/long firing/slow reload of muzzle-loading weapons make them acceptable for beginner's tier firearms? They probably wouldn't be able to accept suppressors, either, so... high risk vs reward, or an alternative to hunting with a short bow.

Lastly, how about loot balancing on tall buildings? If every floor has as much loot as now, clearing one will net you tons of mundane wealth for little effort... but if the same amount is spread too thin, it could be a boring slog. Unless, you know, everyone from the office is still there, guarding the place...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: July 16, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »

Lastly, how about loot balancing on tall buildings? If every floor has as much loot as now, clearing one will net you tons of mundane wealth for little effort... but if the same amount is spread too thin, it could be a boring slog. Unless, you know, everyone from the office is still there, guarding the place...
Tall buildings would only occur in the larger cities, and those are definitely not 'little effort' to get to the middle of downtown.

Also, skyscrapers should be easy to see from far away, making tall buildings visible alone far from the explored map - making it easier to find metropolises and have Fun with big cities.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: July 16, 2013, 04:05:28 pm »

Would the ease of crafting/long firing/slow reload of muzzle-loading weapons make them acceptable for beginner's tier firearms? They probably wouldn't be able to accept suppressors, either, so... high risk vs reward, or an alternative to hunting with a short bow.
They should be opposite sides of the spectrum. Hunting bows = silent, fast loading, but can't pierce armor. At all. Steel arrows and bolts, yes, and exploding should still be a thing, but a "heavy" wooden arrow shouldn't be able to take down hulks and zombie soldiers in power armor. Vs Muskets/blunderbussi = Loud, long load, but they'll drop anything in one shot, assuming its a slug and not shotgun style ammo.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4673 on: July 16, 2013, 04:09:30 pm »

Steel arrows are all I really use anyway. The instant I can craft them I toss out all my wooden ones and break apart metal furniture for arrow shafts.

Which reminds me... is there a way to use sheet metal to make arrows? Because if you dismantle lockers you get sheet metal but if you break it you get useful scrap. Seems odd.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:15 pm »

Metal recyclers in hardware stores.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:59 pm »

Jabberwok style bird maybe?

Dare I say... A Jub-Jub Bird?
Love, scriver~

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:31 pm »

Well the performance of your black-powder weapon depends on the type, e.g. you might have a few musket pistols for repeat fire, and a long musket for harder hitting.  Also we've been discussing blunderbusses, volley guns, musket rifles, good times a comin'

Good point about the sheet metal, there's some development we can do on the crafting recipes to make them easier to write and more consistent.  Which is basically applying tags to the raw materials and matching flags to recipes, so instead of each recipe having to have a comprehensive list of all possible alternate ingredients, it would have the right flags, and select components that match as candidates.
So instead of listing ["sheet_metal", 5] OR ["scrap_metal", 5], it'd just list [":misc_metal", 5].

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: July 16, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »

Steel arrows are all I really use anyway. The instant I can craft them I toss out all my wooden ones and break apart metal furniture for arrow shafts.

Which reminds me... is there a way to use sheet metal to make arrows? Because if you dismantle lockers you get sheet metal but if you break it you get useful scrap. Seems odd.
You only get a few bits of scrap.  If you go to a hardware store, you can find a Recycler behind it (sometimes a gasoline pump).  Move the metal onto it, and 'e'xamine it to turn it into lumps, chunks, scraps, etc.  I've dismantled whole cars and moved the frames and plates in, churned to Lumps, and made hard plating quickly.

In fact, in a recent WARBUS mod, I've mounted vehicle controls and a box on the rear, so I can more easily load metal into the box, and back up to a recycler more precisely and work the metal.

Sadly, Rebar is useless, and cannot be recycled into metal.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »

I am surprised at what you're seeing with walking and driving keymapping not matching though, in the code it decodes a keypress to an action first, then decides whether to call the "walk in direction" or "steer in direction" function based on whether you're driving, so if you've remapped the key for "move west" to something successfully, it should work fine for "steer left" once you're in a car.

I have to press k or the right arrow key to accelerate.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4679 on: July 16, 2013, 04:38:34 pm »

Well the performance of your black-powder weapon depends on the type, e.g. you might have a few musket pistols for repeat fire, and a long musket for harder hitting.  Also we've been discussing blunderbusses, volley guns, musket rifles, good times a comin'

Good point about the sheet metal, there's some development we can do on the crafting recipes to make them easier to write and more consistent.  Which is basically applying tags to the raw materials and matching flags to recipes, so instead of each recipe having to have a comprehensive list of all possible alternate ingredients, it would have the right flags, and select components that match as candidates.
So instead of listing ["sheet_metal", 5] OR ["scrap_metal", 5], it'd just list [":misc_metal", 5].
I had a similar idea. Use a material based system rather than an explicit item based system, so that you could (in theory) deconstruct almost anything with the proper knowhow and tools.

You only get a few bits of scrap.  If you go to a hardware store, you can find a Recycler behind it (sometimes a gasoline pump).  Move the metal onto it, and 'e'xamine it to turn it into lumps, chunks, scraps, etc.  I've dismantled whole cars and moved the frames and plates in, churned to Lumps, and made hard plating quickly.

In fact, in a recent WARBUS mod, I've mounted vehicle controls and a box on the rear, so I can more easily load metal into the box, and back up to a recycler more precisely and work the metal.

Sadly, Rebar is useless, and cannot be recycled into metal.
Interesting. I haven't come across a recycler yet but will keep an eye out. tbh though after a certain point the game gets a bit tedious for now. Most recently I had a solar powered car plated all over in steel with over 900 pounds of food and water inside and enough parts to make a second car. survival wasn't an issue unless I did something liek charge a jabberwock barehanded. Most of that food, by the way, was jerky or vacuum packed/jarred meat that I had hunted and it was trivial to replace. Once you have a nice setup, the survival aspect of the game can be mastered fairly well so now I'm looking for long term goals.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1086