Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861063 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4605 on: July 15, 2013, 05:48:20 pm »

There's a Dwarf Fortress mod for that. I think the wasteland mod fits the bill.

Yeah, but that's at the fortress-entity level. Being able to do that with your survivor in cataclysm would be pretty awesome.

Granted, we'll be able to do that in DF Adventure Mode eventually too, but I can want it in both games.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: July 15, 2013, 05:49:00 pm »

There's a Dwarf Fortress mod for that. I think the wasteland mod fits the bill.

Yeah, but that's at the fortress-entity level. Being able to do that with your survivor in cataclysm would be pretty awesome.

Granted, we'll be able to do that in DF Adventure Mode eventually too, but I can want it in both games.

kickstarter ends soon, fellow stalker

give it two months. it might just happen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: July 15, 2013, 05:59:03 pm »

Yeah, I donated. Looking forward to what a couple of months of dedicated development will get us.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:27 pm »

kickstarter ends soon, fellow stalker

Get out of here, stalker!

*ahem* Yeah I actually would like some reason to stay in one spot as opposed to the battlecamperwagon. Downside is resources in an area will eventually dry up regardless, so.... huh. I'm not sure what could be done to make both playstyles feel rewarding.

Related, the "found a settlement with NPC's and guard towers" reminded me a lot of Real-Time Settler mod for Fallout 3. If you weren't directly pulling from that and/or have FO3, you should check it out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4609 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:03 pm »

I hate having to abandon perfectly good bases just because I exhaust an area's fun before Winter's even rolled around. Having hordes would be a huge improvement, but some events that create new tiles nearby would be awesome too, especially if your entire base got transported somewhere else. Maybe make the event voluntary?

Also, some sort of fast travel system you can hook up. Find a lab, learn how to make long-range teleporters that won't kill you as often, and then make one in your base with labs as long-range outposts. It could make exploration feasible without having to load up everything you own into a large vehicle, while providing another place that hordes can enter through. And it'd be another use for high-level electronics.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:27 pm »

Related, the "found a settlement with NPC's and guard towers" reminded me a lot of Real-Time Settler mod for Fallout 3. If you weren't directly pulling from that and/or have FO3, you should check it out.

Huh. Haven't tried that, no. I'll have to look it up.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: July 15, 2013, 06:48:32 pm »

Wait... can I fill a jerrycan with beer? Oh my god.
Sir, I've filled my steel jerrycans with liquor, then turned those glass bottles which held it into molotov cocktails and purged the land of all fungal growth while in my bicycle (customized with 3 trunks), running up and torching it all.

> Has gasmask and casual clothing.

So yes.

On another note: Cathedrals.

I seem to have found a special something in the lower region of the area, not seemingly a catacomb for the lack of..err, skeletons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: July 15, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »

Dont have to kill the bodies... but yah, cathedrals are awesome.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: July 15, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »

Dont have to kill the bodies... but yah, cathedrals are awesome.
This tempts me sorely.

Why?!

And why isn't this in a spoiler? :I

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:09 pm »

Dunno why its not in a spoiler, but they are non-hostile. I waltzed right in and right back out before.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: July 15, 2013, 07:15:10 pm »

I hate having to abandon perfectly good bases just because I exhaust an area's fun before Winter's even rolled around. Having hordes would be a huge improvement, but some events that create new tiles nearby would be awesome too, especially if your entire base got transported somewhere else. Maybe make the event voluntary?

Also, some sort of fast travel system you can hook up. Find a lab, learn how to make long-range teleporters that won't kill you as often, and then make one in your base with labs as long-range outposts. It could make exploration feasible without having to load up everything you own into a large vehicle, while providing another place that hordes can enter through. And it'd be another use for high-level electronics.
To me, there should be quick and dirty settlements that can be thrown together with a couple 30ft lengths of rope and a stack of pointed sticks, as well as full on buildings, with electricity from solar panels and funnels feeding into water tanks.

Oh, funnels should be able to be mountable on vehicles to collect water slowly while driving in the rain. Downside, if they are outside in acidic drizzle or rain for more then 10 minutes it would contaminate the water tanks and you would lose all the collected water.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: July 15, 2013, 07:18:37 pm »

To me, there should be quick and dirty settlements that can be thrown together with a couple 30ft lengths of rope and a stack of pointed sticks, as well as full on buildings, with electricity from solar panels and funnels feeding into water tanks.

Oh, funnels should be able to be mountable on vehicles to collect water slowly while driving in the rain. Downside, if they are outside in acidic drizzle or rain for more then 10 minutes it would contaminate the water tanks and you would lose all the collected water.

We're going to need flaps up in here. Push button, roof goes up. Push again, reverse effect. In acid rain, use a flip/flop flap circuit to collect acid into the acid tank. In regular rain, flip again to put water into the water tank. Sunny? Close both flaps. Progress! Science! Technology!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:56 pm »

Well, I've played all this game that I can play, until it can work out the kinks with its movement keybinding.

I cant drive, and I also can't build a car without reconfiguring my movement keys, as it requires the use of lower case i and I use lower case i for movement.

Fun game, but since I've more or less exhausted where I can travel to on foot in my starting area, not sure whatever to do.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: July 15, 2013, 07:34:47 pm »

Well, I've played all this game that I can play, until it can work out the kinks with its movement keybinding.

I cant drive, and I also can't build a car without reconfiguring my movement keys, as it requires the use of lower case i and I use lower case i for movement.

Fun game, but since I've more or less exhausted where I can travel to on foot in my starting area, not sure whatever to do.
This can all be changed in the options.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: July 15, 2013, 07:52:07 pm »

This can all be changed in the options.
Nope.

It cannot be changed in the options.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:54:24 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1086