Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861037 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4575 on: July 15, 2013, 05:55:24 am »

Can you restore power to science labs?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:22 am »

Can you restore power to science labs?
I don't think so. If you happen upon the generator, it's completely broken.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28:17 am »

I filed an issue about this at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1994, if you're interested you can follow it thare.

Sorry for taking so long to answer this, has been without internet access for a couple of days.

The build you linked does indeed work, so it seems like you've identified the problem. Thank you!

As of the latest experimental builds, a mitigation to this has been landed, which uses the Left Alt key for key composition, and the Right Alt key for Alt+number emulation.  Is this an acceptable workaround for the time being?  I'd like to make the behavior configurable, but I don't know if I need to prioritize it.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:42 am »

Funnels are slightly overpowered I think. With a standard storefront, acidic drizzle, and a source of cans, one can make an endless supply of batteries. Not to mention water any time it rains.
But you will get trashed of drinking beer to get those cans. Or just suffed with canned corn, whatever you have more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:52 am »

Funnels are slightly overpowered I think. With a standard storefront, acidic drizzle, and a source of cans, one can make an endless supply of batteries. Not to mention water any time it rains.
But you will get trashed of drinking beer to get those cans. Or just suffed with canned corn, whatever you have more.
Funnels also serve the same function as a river, for the most part.  The only thing a river can't do is make batteries.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: July 15, 2013, 10:35:53 am »

Addedum to the IP discussion, the elephant in the room is patents.  DDA almost certainly infringes on hundreds if not thousands of patents.  Fun eh?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: July 15, 2013, 10:38:12 am »

Addedum to the IP discussion, the elephant in the room is patents.  DDA almost certainly infringes on hundreds if not thousands of patents.  Fun eh?
Dude we dropped that discussion.  Every few days someone's like 'is this legal' and then for 3 pages everyone repeats 'yes' and no one can discuss the game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: July 15, 2013, 10:43:32 am »

And honestly you really shouldn't be able to make batteries out of acid rain anyway, since it's not really acid just burny swelling-inducing skin-melting poison.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: July 15, 2013, 10:54:54 am »

What what? I can't think of anything even remotely to infringing a patent, there isn't even anything patentable in the game, copyright and trademarks can always be an issue (which is incredibly easy to solve and won't result in any legal fees) but patents are impossible.

Y u trol me?

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: July 15, 2013, 11:07:37 am »

And honestly you really shouldn't be able to make batteries out of acid rain anyway, since it's not really acid just burny swelling-inducing skin-melting poison.
...which happens to also be highly acidic.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: July 15, 2013, 12:30:22 pm »

But what if it basic?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4586 on: July 15, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »

But what if it basic?

We can't figure it out so it's obviously not.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »

What what? I can't think of anything even remotely to infringing a patent, there isn't even anything patentable in the game, copyright and trademarks can always be an issue (which is incredibly easy to solve and won't result in any legal fees) but patents are impossible.
If you haven't looked into this, you'd be surprised what the USPTO finds "novel" and "non-trivial" enough to issue a patent.  Cataclysm is over 100,000 lines of fairly dense C++ code, ample room to infringe some completely absurd software patent or another.  Patents *are* impossible to guard against, which is why the DDA policy on them conforms to the industry standard, try and pretend they don't exist.
Y u trol me?
Because I love.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »

If you haven't looked into this, you'd be surprised what the USPTO finds "novel" and "non-trivial" enough to issue a patent.  Cataclysm is over 100,000 lines of fairly dense C++ code, ample room to infringe some completely absurd software patent or another.  Patents *are* impossible to guard against, which is why the DDA policy on them conforms to the industry standard, try and pretend they don't exist.

Most of my patent knowledge resides in EU and UK patent law but I believe patents in software in the US mainly revolves around "business methods" which aren't patentable in the UK and are in the grayish black area in EU. In fact the industry standard in pretending software patents don't exist is common because they are hard to grant and hard to test for infringement and hard to fight in court. I sincerely doubt you could find something which is infringing on a patent in DDA, you are more likely to find something infringing copyright and even then that can be arguable depending on if it's produced independently instead of being based on/copied on the original source.

Patents are pretty much dying worldwide with the only ones getting the big bucks being pharmaceutical and communications/electronics, no one cares about software or even general consumer goods with branding being much more important then patents.

If you can find something infringing any software patent that would be amazing to me :P

There needs to be a law skill in Cataclysm, probably once NPC's are fully integrated, it's the only way to ensure mankind's survival! 

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: July 15, 2013, 04:28:41 pm »

But what if it basic?
It wouldn't feel stingy or burny at all, so the acidic drizzle message would be more like 'The rain is making you feel slimy and soapy'.  Basics feel like dish detergent when you get them on your skin (but can still eat you just as fast, and as such are actually more dangeous because they don't start hurting right away) Where as acid actually burns right off the bat, or makes your skin feel rough+dry if it's a mild acid.  Pour a little bleach on your hand at some point (and wash it off right away) if you ever want to see what a strong basic chemical feels like.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1086