Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861052 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4560 on: July 14, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »

Despite being the default as it is the rate of rust is brutal. Of course the simplest fix is turn it off because anything else and you have to find the balance between actually mattering and rusting faster then a cars rocker panels in a Michigan winter.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: July 14, 2013, 08:55:57 pm »

Worth noting: Everything is built of wood.  Building a flamethrower is the single most productive thing you can do!

Grab a hacksaw and wrench, tear apart EVERY CAR you can find to raise skill.  When you hit 6, build a homemade flamethrower and just burn down buildings!  You end up with infinite stocks of nails, rebarb, rocks, and splintered wood (which apparently doesn't burn!)

I have so many nails, I'm looking for ways to melt them into sheet metal!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: July 14, 2013, 09:30:41 pm »

Despite being the default as it is the rate of rust is brutal. Of course the simplest fix is turn it off because anything else and you have to find the balance between actually mattering and rusting faster then a cars rocker panels in a Michigan winter.
You could also get the Enhanced Memory bionic, but without solar/internal furnace, it still won't keep up. Metabolic interchange could work, but I have a feeling it would make you starve excessively fast once you hit 8+ skill.

In other news, I cleared out the turrets near the military outpost and discovered.... a building with no doors. Concrete too. A nice set of usable and tasty armored clothing though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: July 14, 2013, 10:31:58 pm »

Whilw We're on the topic of skill rust, is skilling up in Cata similar to DF? The only difference in being You have to be atleast somewhat happy while You're performing a skill related action?
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: July 14, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »

Whilw We're on the topic of skill rust, is skilling up in Cata similar to DF? The only difference in being You have to be atleast somewhat happy while You're performing a skill related action?
Skills rust in DF? since when?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: July 14, 2013, 10:43:39 pm »

Skill can be gained in 3 ways: reading, crafting, and actions. For reading, it's a case of finding a relevant book that you have the prerequisite skill to read and devoting a sizable amount of time to gain skill from it (more so if you don't meet the intelligence requirements). Reading drains focus pretty quickly, which is a multiplier put on skill gain when crafting or performing actions (with its recharge rate dependent on morale). For crafting, the amount of experience you gain is dependent on the difficulty of the item being crafted relative to your skill level, with secondary skills also gaining experience. Actions are the same as crafting, without the difficulty mechanic. Some skills are best learned with books, some with crafting, some with actions.

Since your focus is drained by experience gain, it's helpful to keep it high with stuff like drugs, alcohol, and the optimist trait, but not nearly as harsh as when you just had an experience point pool that's refilled by morale.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: July 14, 2013, 10:49:49 pm »

Skills rust in DF? since when?
Yes, they do. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Skill#Rust_Mechanics

But yes, the answer is just do the actions related to the skill, craft stuff that has it as one of its skills, or read books related to it. Crafting is the reason archery is so overpowered, as you can go from 0-3 skill in archery without leaving the shelter just making arrow shafts. Then, training archery trains fire arms, which lets you segue easily into guns.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: July 14, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »

You don't have to be happy in DF - in fact it helps if the dwarf is UNHAPPY since skill gain is based on time spent.

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: July 14, 2013, 11:56:10 pm »

I used to cheat a fair bit using the debug menu, but that was before 0.6. How d'You actually open up/enable the debug menu and start spawning in glorious, glorious items now?

/Edit: Oh and uh, capital Z doesn't seem to work for me.
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4569 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02:20 am »

It's unbound, you have to find the keybindings under the '?' menu.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: July 15, 2013, 03:24:32 am »

Funnels are slightly overpowered I think. With a standard storefront, acidic drizzle, and a source of cans, one can make an endless supply of batteries. Not to mention water any time it rains.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: July 15, 2013, 03:29:39 am »

Funnels are slightly overpowered I think. With a standard storefront, acidic drizzle, and a source of cans, one can make an endless supply of batteries. Not to mention water any time it rains.

Water is really easy to manage anyway.  All you need is a bathroom, two containers, a frying pan/pot, and a fire.  All stuff you're likely to have available halfway through the first day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: July 15, 2013, 03:31:16 am »

And you'll use all those batteries when you find a welder. All of them. And then want more. I've gone through at least 4000 batteries and I've barely started yet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4573 on: July 15, 2013, 03:32:09 am »

Plus its not that hard anyway to make batteries by the time you need them. I actually had a harder time finding the cans then the actual chemicals that you can use besides acid.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:37 am »

And you'll use all those batteries when you find a welder. All of them. And then want more. I've gone through at least 4000 batteries and I've barely started yet.
When I made my custom car I got every battery in two different towns.  And it was a SMALL car. 
But I also had a problem because it was my first one and I removed everything at least three times. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1086