Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861227 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4365 on: July 11, 2013, 02:26:34 pm »

Glyph: if you're implementing run modes, you should probably make it hard to go from a full charge forward to a full charge backward, and have you lose momentum when going left or right.

That is... exactly what... I just described...?

Yep:
Moving in the same direction for multiple turns may allow you to build up speed in that direction but make you react more slowly if you need to turn on a dime.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: July 11, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »

Remind me to read things completely next time >.<
Sorry.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: July 11, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

I even had diagrams!

Player in run mode:
@x    - Next move
Next move if moves forward/does nothing/moves backwards/jumps
1. .@x / .@. / x@. / .@xx
If moves forward...
2. ..@x (2/3rds cost) / ..@. / .x@. (1.5 cost) / @xxx (goto step 1)
If moves forward...
3. ..@xx / ..@x. (half cost, goto step 2) / ..@.. (1.5 cost) (goto step 1) / @xxxx (goto step 1)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »

Did anyone poke around in the keystroke-recognition code between the last website version (windoes, SDL) and 0.6 because the game no longer recognizes alt-key characters. Some elaboration: I use a Swedish keyboard layout which has certain keys that cataclysm uses mapped to alt+key combinations. This includes characters such as @ and \, which are mapped to alt + 2 and alt + +, respectively. The current website windows SDL version no longer recognizes these, which makes the game pretty annoying to play since inventory items mapped to those keys are impossible to interact with. The problem cropped up somewhere between 0.6 (Samedi) and the current version, just tested both and Samedi works just fine.

I guess I could just switch keyboard layout when I want to play, but that would be highly annoying.

It sounds like this commit https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commit/c1f2c34695700cac2759a0816437ede757365eb3 might be problematic, it adds Alt+num handling, but I imagine that would interfere with other methods of character input.  Can you give http://ci.narc.ro/job/Cataclysm-Win32-SDL/109/artifact/cataclysmdda-0.6.zip a try and let me know if that works?  If so that's definitely the issue.  Also that's the latest version before the change, so if my guess is right you can play that one until we get it sorted out.

I filed an issue about this at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1994, if you're interested you can follow it thare.

Sorry for taking so long to answer this, has been without internet access for a couple of days.

The build you linked does indeed work, so it seems like you've identified the problem. Thank you!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4369 on: July 11, 2013, 06:42:03 pm »

I removed most of the thread after a certain point.  Please try to avoid responding to accounts that aren't going to be around for long.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: July 11, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

I've never seen Toady do a burn before.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: July 11, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »

I've never seen Toady do a burn before.
What's a burn?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: July 11, 2013, 06:48:19 pm »

Simply wiping out sections of the thread.  He basically said "everything after here is deleted" which is probably for the best.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: July 11, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »

Yay Toady :D

Anyway back to that question: Solar panels only work...when?
> Its sunny/Clear.
But what position and do they work with other components? Is there a certain order of placement?

@GlyphGryph, perhaps? :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: July 11, 2013, 06:50:53 pm »

I always endeavor to place them on the roof, or on non-roof tiles.  The example electric car has them mounted onto a Board, and my WARBUS has them in open air without even intending to put a roof over that section.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »

Huh, The burned bit wasn't that bad. A dude just made an off-hand comment about something he regretted he couldn't do in a post-apocalyptic game that some other forumdudes commented on how even they wouldn't do that in a game because even crazy has standards and how Dude the First was totally not cool for that.

Then said discussion was mutually dropped for it being as droppable as a zombie baby trying to eat your face. I'm surprised it was so bad that The Toad would nuke it from orbit, because it really wasn't that terrible or in-depth in comparison to the mermaid thread and stuff.

Then again, I missed part of what was burned, so it could've degraded even worse for all I know.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: July 11, 2013, 06:56:31 pm »

You do know that some of us have issues on those kinds of things, right?

...But I didn't voice it as it was dropped.

ANYWAY
I always endeavor to place them on the roof, or on non-roof tiles.  The example electric car has them mounted onto a Board, and my WARBUS has them in open air without even intending to put a roof over that section.
But then they're exposed to acid rain, right? I'm pretty unsure how damaging that is to outer components not-roofed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: July 11, 2013, 06:56:37 pm »

Huh. Well, moving on...

My Ninjitsu character is doing pretty well. Made a Self Bow and practiced archery on a squirrel who somehow made his way into the evac shelter. It's...kind of helpful, although the self bow has such pathetic range that I rarely get off more than a single shot on anything faster than a normal zombie. I did just find a long bow in a house, so I'm hoping that'll give me much better range.

Otherwise, I have a *really* well stocked evac shelter. Multiples of most tools, a wide range of weapons (although no ammo for the guns), and most of the clothing that I'd like to have. Could use a military rucksack as well as some decent low-encumbrance/decent inventory clothing, but I'm in decent enough shape for now. Lots of backup clothing, if nothing else, and I can manage both temperature and rain pretty well as needed. I can handle all of the monsters I've run across pretty easily so far, mostly just opting to use Ninjitsu to pummel them to death, although I've been doing more throwing/archery lately. So that part is working well.

At this point I'm working on slowing clearing out the town I started near. Once that's done I'll see about getting a vehicle of some sort up and running. Not sure what my gas situation is, but I haven't seen a gas station yet so it may be limited to whatever is left in the stranded cars.

Hopefully I'll get some books that can actually teach me something more useful than Speech.

Only other thing I'm really keeping an eye out for is salt. I found a vacuum sealer, which will be great for preserving all the meat I get, but I can't do that without salt and I haven't found any at all yet. Ah, well, at least the fact that most of the meat all rots before I can eat it is just an inconvenience rather than a serious survival issue.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: July 11, 2013, 07:11:47 pm »

You do know that some of us have issues on those kinds of things, right?

...But I didn't voice it as it was dropped.

ANYWAY
But then they're exposed to acid rain, right? I'm pretty unsure how damaging that is to outer components not-roofed.
I have never encountered a vehicle being damaged by acid rain.  Otherwise the car chassis all over the street should be gone in the city I've been camping out.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: July 11, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »

As much talk as there have been on bows being OP, a freaken broadsword is just so awesome!
Unskilled 12 strength can one-shot zombies.

Then again broadswords are relatively rare - you can craft a bow.
This town spawned 3.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1086