Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860718 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4290 on: July 10, 2013, 02:59:49 pm »

Wear a mask to prevent the guff. Also, It seems mouth encumbrance has no effect, so thats good.
HEAD encumbrance has no effect. Mouth encumbrance is supposed to hamper your breathing and make you slower.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »

How do I train electronics without a book? Because I want to install some bionics before I fight some fungaloids that block my road to another town.
Find, disassemble, and reassemble electronic objects.
So there's a way to craft plastic bags into a tight bundle of 10, which can be opened to spill them out.

Should we maybe add a way to get 'a bundle of amplifier circuits' and stuff?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: July 10, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »

So I will have to do another supply run in the town to take all the radios, flashlights and that stuff that I left behind. Thanks!

Keep in mind that the experience gained from crafting is dependent on the difficulty of the item, so building the most difficult items as you go is much more effective.

With electronics, I would say that books are really much better though. It's tedious to gain skill through crafting, and if you can find the books for it, you can reach level 10 just by reading. I'd look around for a functional car, motorcycle, scooter, boogie board, etc and smash a refrigerator for a rubber hose, to start siphoning fuel (if there's a gas station, then fuel siphoning obviously isn't necessary). Then just drive around looking for libraries or schools, and of course a welder.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: July 10, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »

So I will have to do another supply run in the town to take all the radios, flashlights and that stuff that I left behind. Thanks!

Keep in mind that the experience gained from crafting is dependent on the difficulty of the item, so building the most difficult items as you go is much more effective.

With electronics, I would say that books are really much better though. It's tedious to gain skill through crafting, and if you can find the books for it, you can reach level 10 just by reading. I'd look around for a functional car, motorcycle, scooter, boogie board, etc and smash a refrigerator for a rubber hose, to start siphoning fuel (if there's a gas station, then fuel siphoning obviously isn't necessary). Then just drive around looking for libraries or schools, and of course a welder.
I'm doing this because the whole town lacks a welder. And to one side there are swamps and fungaloids, two sides have a thick forest, and the other has craters and FEMA camps. I just wanted to install the blood filter bionic so that I don't die spewing fungi after burning the damned spire down (I have a gas mask, though).

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »

Usually a town does have at least one operational car or motorcycle in the streets, which can be driven without needing a welder, which was my point. If you already have a gas mask, you're fine to walk through. Keep in mind that fire isn't enough to kill a fungal spire outright, but it will render it harmless while the fire is burning.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: July 10, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »

Ah, fridges. I was wondering where you get rubber hoses from.

I think I just need to try smashing everything in a house at some point to see what I can get from it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:41 pm »

Usually a town does have at least one operational car or motorcycle in the streets, which can be driven without needing a welder, which was my point. If you already have a gas mask, you're fine to walk through. Keep in mind that fire isn't enough to kill a fungal spire outright, but it will render it harmless while the fire is burning.
You can find functional vehicles in parking lots, schools, hospitals, apartment blocks (and other such multi-tile buildings that have parking tiles, you get the idea), garages, farms, and on any road tile outside of a city.  Although rare, I have found semi trucks and electric cars in working order in the middle of the highway.

If you're low on gas, check behind a hardware store.  They often have a gas pump or metal compactor.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »

I think I just need to try smashing everything in a house at some point to see what I can get from it.

I know, my mind was blown when I saw it. Same goes for getting pipes from display racks and glass bottles from milk (it seems obvious, but it took me a very long time to realize that milk is the best source of molotov bottles).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: July 10, 2013, 03:26:24 pm »

I know, my mind was blown when I saw it. Same goes for getting pipes from display racks and glass bottles from milk (it seems obvious, but it took me a very long time to realize that milk is the best source of molotov bottles).
My best source of molotov has always been the liqueur store.  Comes pre-boozed!

Actually my favorite place of all has been the liqueur store...

I might have an issue here...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:52 pm »

I wonder if you will ever be able to get milk thats not bad...
Besides getting up at one AM.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: July 10, 2013, 03:28:04 pm »

Well yeah, aside from liquor stores. And it's not a party without a steel jerrycan of whiskey.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: July 10, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »

I wonder if you will ever be able to get milk thats not bad...
Besides getting up at one AM.
You'd have to change the options to spawn earlier.  By default you NEVER see fresh milk.

Well yeah, aside from liquor stores. And it's not a party without a steel jerrycan of whiskey.
I have a goal now...
Technically Tequila would be more 'hapiness' but whiskey has a certain flair, doesn't it?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »

Like I said, besides getting up early.

Perhaps one day there will be goats and things...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: July 10, 2013, 03:33:03 pm »

It'd be nice if the wiki had a Survivor's guide to how to find most basic things. Most of it makes sense when you think about it, but since the game doesn't have everything modeled out it's hard to know what you will actually get from breaking/disassembling things and what you won't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: July 10, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »

I'll be damned if we can't subdue and milk jabberwocks in the future.

I remember rum used to be the best melee booze quite a while ago, but looking through I thought they were all the same in this version, so I always just go with whiskey or vodka. Maybe tequila is the best, but nothing says class like getting trashed on whiskey and adderall on your way to the gas station for toilet water.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 1086