Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859815 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4110 on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »

Currently getting an error that causes the game to crash out whenever I hit 'E' to eat.

material.cpp[118]: Tried to get invalid material: bone
I had that too. Updated to the latest experimental build and it stopped.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:32 pm »

Currently getting an error that causes the game to crash out whenever I hit 'E' to eat.

Can I do that without losing my character?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4112 on: July 07, 2013, 06:34:51 pm »

Can I do that without losing my character?
Worked for me but YMMV. Backup the save.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: July 07, 2013, 08:24:34 pm »

Couple questions on the spawning mechanic. Loud noises cause more zombies to spawn, due to dynamic spawning, but is it only from noises you cause or would ambient noises such as a bunch of kid zombies banging on fences increase the spawning? Do smashing windows cause enough noise to effect the spawning?

Also, do mobs despawn? If there's a large mob of zombies at a building I want to get to, if I leave it for a day and come back is it likely the zombies would be gone or am I just gonna have to fight all the zombies?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: July 07, 2013, 08:30:55 pm »

Couple questions on the spawning mechanic. Loud noises cause more zombies to spawn, due to dynamic spawning, but is it only from noises you cause or would ambient noises such as a bunch of kid zombies banging on fences increase the spawning? Do smashing windows cause enough noise to effect the spawning?

Any and all noises will up the spawn counter, including zombies breaking windows, boomers exploding, and the thunder from storms.  That's why Shriekers exist.

Also, do mobs despawn? If there's a large mob of zombies at a building I want to get to, if I leave it for a day and come back is it likely the zombies would be gone or am I just gonna have to fight all the zombies?

As far as I can tell, if you can get a few map cells away from an area the specific mobs in that area will despawn, but the spawn counter in the area will still be the same, so you'll probably run into similar levels of danger.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4115 on: July 07, 2013, 08:36:00 pm »

But of course if you for instance used some explosives to take out a really tough zombie and suddenly the streets are flooded with zombies you can go away and if you go far enough you will be facing only normal levels of zombies when you come back.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: July 07, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »

New item idea: Bionic removal kit.

Craftable from a knife, any sort of CBM, and a first aid kit, possibly some other stuff, and a rare find in places with medical supplies or bionics. Would allow you to remove one bionic, at the cost of destroying it, easily, or, significantly harder, remove the bionic without destroying it. If it is a faulty bionic of some sort, it would be significantly harder, or possibly only be able to downgrade them to less faulty conditions.
Really I would just like to be able to de-install a bionic similar to how you installed it, with a knife. Doing so would cause large amounts of pain/damage, but it would allow you to remove any bionic you wanted to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: July 07, 2013, 10:59:37 pm »

Dynamic spawning has a timer on how often zed spawn.  Loud noises decreases this time - from any source.  Last I was aware, I think it was... around 50 volume, the spawn timer ticks shorter, capping at 300 volume where it hits max single-instant reduction.  This means setting off a nuke won't cause 3 waves at once, it'll only do the max reduction.

So breaking windows will draw attention from those nearby, but not in itself cause a spawn wave.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: July 08, 2013, 03:15:27 am »

New item idea: Bionic removal kit.

Craftable from a knife, any sort of CBM, and a first aid kit, possibly some other stuff, and a rare find in places with medical supplies or bionics. Would allow you to remove one bionic, at the cost of destroying it, easily, or, significantly harder, remove the bionic without destroying it. If it is a faulty bionic of some sort, it would be significantly harder, or possibly only be able to downgrade them to less faulty conditions.
Really I would just like to be able to de-install a bionic similar to how you installed it, with a knife. Doing so would cause large amounts of pain/damage, but it would allow you to remove any bionic you wanted to.
I think it should be harder, since, y'know, the bionic is *part of your body now*

Maybe have a bionic removal machine in laboratories?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: July 08, 2013, 03:18:30 am »

What, you mean besides dissectors, the scientists, turrets, man-hacks and everything else?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: July 08, 2013, 03:33:12 am »

so how do i destory turrents without dying straight away?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:30 am »

Go in with no light. At night. Throw EMPs at them.
If you are lucky you get a friend, if not you get lotsa ammo.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: July 08, 2013, 03:49:57 am »

So, I got a map that segfault'ing on me. Anything I can do about this?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: July 08, 2013, 03:51:19 am »

As i noticed i nearly never hit anything regardless of the distance with a M4A1 found in town along some .223 ammo, i decided to make some tests with the debug mode to see if i should focus on giving skill point on firearms or on specific type of firearms or both.

So created a character with 12 points
put ****** in Firearms
put the remnant points in Dexterity (11)

debug mode spawned a M4A1 and 3 .233 ammo sets (90 ammo)
Then i went in town

I noticed that while firing when moving my character was missing easily half of his shots, regardless of the range.
When i stayed immobile, it's surprisingly nearly an avalanche of missing shots, even at 1 tile range.

Restarted a character with the only difference being ****** in Rifle instead of Firearms (as M4A1 is a Rifle maybe Rifle has more impact than Firearms)
Did the same debug spawn and town rampage, and found the same results.

Restarted a character, with **** in Firearms and **** in Rifle (and 12 in Dexterity)
While moving i noticed that i seem to hit more regularly, less misses, so it seems it's a better idea to invest in both skills if using rifles than only one of them.

But when staying immobile, it is still an incredible serie of misses, again regardless of close or long range.

I wonder if there's then a real problem with firing while not moving or if there's some obscure gameplay mechanic kicking in, i would think the character should be more accurate if not moving, but ingame from my tests it's clearly the opposite, firing while being immobile always resulted in an insane amount of misses.

I wonder if the "safe mode" thing is linked to that, as while firing while being immobile, you are spammed regularly with the "safe mode on" message that you need to press ' to get out of it , but you're still being able to shot (and miss 90% of the time).

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:43 am »

I've looted almost the whole town, and I did not find a welder, nor welding googles. And I haven't discovered another town yet. I think I'm stuck in my little town with two hospitals, but almost no shops.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1086