Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859731 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4005 on: July 05, 2013, 10:13:33 pm »

A recent change was that unless you butcher or bash a zombie's corpse it can occasionally get back up later though it takes something like 6 hours.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: July 05, 2013, 10:18:00 pm »

I actually have one and have been using it when the heat gets too bad.  I'm just bad about remembering to turn it off.  I really need to get on making/finding a motorcycle or something for mobile storage so I don't feel the need to carry as much stuff on me.  Just something I can move around with me to hold tools and other things that aren't emergency items.  I need to strip down to summer clothing.

I find building or vehicle construction to be rather daunting.  Going to try getting started on it when I get home from work.

Another problem I'm running into is I can't harvest meat from small game anymore, because my arrows hit so hard they rarely leave a corpse behind.  Although now that I think about that, it would make sense to keep a bundle of lighter damage arrows on hand for that purpose.  I was enjoying the convenience of carrying only one type of arrow so I don't have to select for every shot.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4007 on: July 05, 2013, 10:20:33 pm »

It is not hard to make lower quality arrows so instead of trying to carry multiple types just make the soft hitting ones when you need to and drop any spares. If you need a fire you can even use them.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: July 05, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »

True.  I'm pretty bad about over-preparedness pack-ratting.  I've been trying to get better about recognizing what things are common enough or that I use infrequently enough that I don't need to carry them around at all times.  I still have a long way to go on that front.  Doesn't help that when I leave some stuff somewhere to free up space, I always forget about it when I move on to a new area and don't want to go back :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4009 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »

My only advise for that is make a car with a ton of storage space. It doesn't have to be something you ride around in all the time or what not if you like to walk. All you need to do is move the thing to wherever your currently doing stuff and use it as a mobile base of operations.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: July 05, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »

That's basically my aim.  Don't even need that much.  I think two tiles worth of storage should be enough.  Might just go for a large trike.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4011 on: July 05, 2013, 11:58:27 pm »

Trust me, once you realize you can hold onto stuff you won't just be holding onto a little bit of stuff. I think at one point I had a trunk full of steel chunks from completely cleaning up a crash site.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: July 06, 2013, 12:44:38 am »

That's basically my aim.  Don't even need that much.  I think two tiles worth of storage should be enough.  Might just go for a large trike.
Grab a school bus.  At the very basics, you can rip out the seats and install trunk space.  I was preparing to convert mine, extending it from 5 wide to 6 wide, with a luxurious 2 wide center aisle, storage on either side, an RV cooking unit, and enclosed room, with the wheels protruding further out to either side to allow for an enclosed box.  The engine was replaced by an electric and significant storage batteries, as well as being moved back a tile so that the front row of tiles could be armored for those times I just didn't want to spend a grenade to get into somewhere.

And yes, getting an integrated toolset and solar panels makes vehicle handling a LOT easier.

I'd say really, your first goal is to get really good survival (read about it!) so you can harvest shockers.  Then prepare a decent bus setup, parked on the edge of town (zombies will try to path through your vehicle and wreck it, so put it beyond their spawn region), and then make forays into the city, particularly to harvest electronics and meat.

Also: why meat spoils in 24 hs? I can't stock it so that I can actually do something else.
Look for Glass Jars - they're usually full of Red Sauce or Pesto or somesuch, best found in houses or rarely as zombie drops.  When you find one BE CAREFUL they count as weapons and you will auto-wield them if you're using 'fists' or any martial arts, which breaks them on the first swing!  With sufficient cooking skill, you can boil and can the meat - you need water (dirty works), a jar, and meat (rotten works!), as well as a heat source (fire, hotplate, toolset, etc.), and a cooking utensil (pan, pointy stick, toolset, etc.).  This creates a 'tool' item, jar of meat, which can be activated to turn into a food container.  This means that it NEVER spoils until it's opened, while it still has the same nutrition as freshly cooked meat and occupies 1 volume.  Most often I would go slay a critter, eat my fill, and can the rest using bionics (1 charge use of toolset) and have many meat jars left over, combined with a jerrycan of funnel water and a vehicle headlight, then go hunker down and read a tough book!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: July 06, 2013, 12:56:15 am »

My survival is at 8 now, I think.  I've been harvesting bionics from shockers consistently for a while already.  That's how I got all the ones I have.  Haven't found an integrated tool set yet, unfortunately.

I'm really feeling totally set on the survival front.  Providing for my basic needs is really easy at this point.

And I'm thinking modestly on the vehicle front because this will be my first serious attempt at making one.  I barely know how to get started.  I need to train the hell out of my mechanics anyway so I can try to install some more difficult bionics, so I'm just going to start ripping vehicles completely apart and building stuff from scratch.  Found myself a welder and have a huge supply of batteries, so I should be good to go on tinkering for a long time.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: July 06, 2013, 12:59:47 am »

found an integrated tool set! now just raise electricity and mechanics so it'll have more then a 50% chance.
also got CBM:alloy plating and CBM:internal storage

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: July 06, 2013, 01:05:56 am »

a huge supply of batteries
That's funny.

found an integrated tool set! now just raise electricity and mechanics so it'll have more then a 50% chance.
You misspelled "Meth and Cocaine".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: July 06, 2013, 01:15:13 am »

a huge supply of batteries
That's funny.

I'm sure it is if you're trying to power a vehicle or bionics on them, but I'm not going to attempt that :P   Got an internal furnace, and I'd like to go the solar route with my vehicle.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: July 06, 2013, 01:21:19 am »

Doing any vehicle modding will just suck down your batteries.  You can run through 500 batteries just doing superficial changes to the rooftop or armor, much less repairing damage (lol, welding tires) or adding whole new chunks of equipment.

It's worth taking skills into Electronics just to get the battery mod.  2x battery capacity to any device is really nice.  Especially welders, UPS, and tazers.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: July 06, 2013, 01:26:38 am »

Didn't realize welders go through them so fast.  I have about 1000 on my person and could probably gather up 1000 more easily just from the immediate area.  I stopped picking them up because all my other tools just don't use them that fast.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: July 06, 2013, 01:33:50 am »

One thing you'll learn pretty fast, is to carry a tazer or two for battery storage, and to keep some UPSs at home to stock batteries into.  They will always be useful, and much like non-spoiling food you can never have enough - even when you think you do, you'll burn through it.

While it may seem that a car's storage battery is nice, keep in mind this only works one way.  You currently CANNOT withdraw power from a vehicle, so stocking a car with solar panels and an RV Kitchen is comparatively 'free' compared to other energy methods.

Also the "powered armor interface" CBM only works one way - you cannot recharge yourself by equipping the powered armor, instead it drains your internal battery, not UPS.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1086