Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861124 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3750 on: July 01, 2013, 12:35:56 pm »

Yeah finding swords early is pretty broken.
Even though katanas are awful and should be portrayed as awful *grumble grumble*.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »

I don't trust swords that were made in a country with terrible metal ores.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »

Then again, anything even mildly sharp would probably mess someone up if you slammed it into their eyes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: July 01, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »

You're rarely cutting up more than soft supple flesh, and a decently made Katana is certainly not terrible. My preferred sword for dealing with zombies? Probably not. But not terrible.

And modern ones are made out of the same high quality steel modern any decent sword is made out of.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: July 01, 2013, 12:44:47 pm »

I guess I kinda mistrust katanas because they tend to be the domain of Mary Sues who always dual-wield them along with revolvers, even though revolvers tend to be only effective in certain circumstances. If I had a choice and was trained in both, I'd pack a combat knife and an assault rifle. Combat knives are good for a lot of purposes, and assault rifles are good at basically any range apart from short range. I'm not exactly a gun expert, though my brother has a bit of knowledge on the topic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: July 01, 2013, 12:46:05 pm »

I'm just waiting until the game includes multiple-wielding, so that I can get tentacley arm mutations and then go around stabbing things with 10 knives at once. Knives>swords most days. Unless that sword is a claymore.

NINJEDIT: Also that thing Fniff said.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3756 on: July 01, 2013, 12:54:01 pm »

Being somewhat of a sword(and sharp things in general really) fanatic I must point out that for dealing with zombies a katana is definitely better then a knife from a "realistic" stand point as a knife is more of a stabbing weapon with some shallow cutting ability while a katana is more aimed at actual cutting ability which with zombies is much more important. Now what would be best isn't a sword or knife but some form of glaive because of the reach and power behind it which when your trained with one will let you slice zombies from well beyond their arms reach.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: July 01, 2013, 12:58:03 pm »

You're rarely cutting up more than soft supple flesh, and a decently made Katana is certainly not terrible. My preferred sword for dealing with zombies? Probably not. But not terrible.

And modern ones are made out of the same high quality steel modern any decent sword is made out of.

You mean the same crappy steel any modern novelty items are made out of :P
Love, scriver~

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: July 01, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »

Being somewhat of a sword(and sharp things in general really) fanatic I must point out that for dealing with zombies a katana is definitely better then a knife from a "realistic" stand point as a knife is more of a stabbing weapon with some shallow cutting ability while a katana is more aimed at actual cutting ability which with zombies is much more important. Now what would be best isn't a sword or knife but some form of glaive because of the reach and power behind it which when your trained with one will let you slice zombies from well beyond their arms reach.

But can you cut a rope or dig out a bullet with a katana easily? Knives are more practical.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: July 01, 2013, 01:02:25 pm »

I wish I could find a Katana, I keep dying very early because there are always several special zombies guarding every house, road, and piece of dirt on the map.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3760 on: July 01, 2013, 01:02:41 pm »

You mean the same crappy steel any modern novelty items are made out of :P
   Yes the display swords are junk metal. I assume he means the real blades. I have both types and even just examining one of each and you can tell the difference.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: July 01, 2013, 01:04:38 pm »

This is catacylsm.
Realism and bullshit combine to make: FUCK IT!  I'M A SAMURAI WITH FIFTEEN LEGS!
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: July 01, 2013, 01:06:04 pm »

I wish I could find a Katana, I keep dying very early because there are always several special zombies guarding every house, road, and piece of dirt on the map.
Try looking in mansions and pawn shops, they turn up the most in those.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: July 01, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »

Tip: break windows. Broken windows slow zombies down a LOT, so you can get more hits on them before they get a hit on you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »

I guess I kinda mistrust katanas because they tend to be the domain of Mary Sues who always dual-wield them along with revolvers, even though revolvers tend to be only effective in certain circumstances. If I had a choice and was trained in both, I'd pack a combat knife and an assault rifle. Combat knives are good for a lot of purposes, and assault rifles are good at basically any range apart from short range. I'm not exactly a gun expert, though my brother has a bit of knowledge on the topic.

Katanas were explicitly designed to be incredibly effective at cutting down unarmored peasants that had no real way of defending themselves, and doing so quickly. Since that is essentially what zombies are, they'd tend to work pretty well. There are many European swords designed with the same principle in mind, but most that you'll see nowadays are swords meant for fighting armored enemies.

Remember that the primary weapon of the samurai, for good reason, was not the sword! It was the spear. But a spear would probably make a terrible weapon against zombies in real life - Too easy to get surrounded, for a group of them to too close too quickly, and suddenly your weapon is useless. Too little fear of impaling themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 1086