Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861499 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3600 on: June 28, 2013, 08:09:53 am »

*Cataclysm antics*
Sounds about right, if incredibly lucky for a first go.
And incidentally, the brute zombie's supposed to more or less the charger from L4D2.
You haven't even run into the tank equivalent, yet. THey're fun. :D
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: June 28, 2013, 09:47:45 am »

GUns never start loaded. Except for LAWs but those start packed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: June 28, 2013, 10:08:10 am »

When I read that, I realised that it would actually be cool to be able to find loaded guns (partially or fully) on dead soldiers and the like. That, along with some bullet casings strewn on the ground would make the dead soldiers somewhat more immersive.

Maybe it's very difficult to have them spawn that way, I have no idea, it was just a random thought that crossed my mind.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: June 28, 2013, 10:13:24 am »

When I read that, I realised that it would actually be cool to be able to find loaded guns (partially or fully) on dead soldiers and the like. That, along with some bullet casings strewn on the ground would make the dead soldiers somewhat more immersive.

Maybe it's very difficult to have them spawn that way, I have no idea, it was just a random thought that crossed my mind.
That would actually be really cool. I mean, considering the fact that these people died while wielding the weapons, it's not terribly unlikely that some of them died with shots still in the cartridge.
I like the idea.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:57 am »

For some reason, I'm now imagining giving guns a safety, and adding a "tension" tracker of some sort. If the safety is off, you run a risk of firing without intending to in high stress situations (if the gun is held in the hand) and if the safety is on you get the fun of freaking out over why the gun isn't firing. :P

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

For some reason, I'm now imagining giving guns a safety, and adding a "tension" tracker of some sort. If the safety is off, you run a risk of firing without intending to in high stress situations (if the gun is held in the hand) and if the safety is on you get the fun of freaking out over why the gun isn't firing. :P

But how would you be able to turn it off?   There's a question for you.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: June 28, 2013, 10:21:49 am »

That would be kind of a cool idea.

Anyway, what are some very important skills to invest in at character creation? I usually don't touch the stats, and add points to Mechanic, Survival, Archery, First Aid and Tailoring. Is there a certain build that seems to work well for others?
I need to put something interesting here.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3607 on: June 28, 2013, 10:22:34 am »

Same way you swap firing modes, the F key.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: June 28, 2013, 10:25:33 am »

*Switching from (Don't use guns, may be wrong) semi-auto to single shot, because ammo problems*
"Aim...  And...  Fire."
*Click.   Click.   Click.*
"SHIT!"
*Eaten alive*
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:32 am »

What if there is only scent but the scent along with some strength score would also have a source ID and when scent spreads it just uses whichever source is stronger. The downside of course is that you can't have a scent of rotten meat under which you catch a slight wiff of plant matter.

Yea this is more or less what I was thinking, but it means that you have to accumulate the strengths of the surrounding tiles in the diffusion step and then decide which one is strongest instead of just summing them, and this happens in an inner-inner loop that's frequently a bottleneck for the game.  This is nowhere near as bad as having multiple independent scentmaps, and I'm not sure how valuable being able to smell multiple scents would be, or if its even reasonable to give that ability to unaugmented humans.  We can and do have bionics and muations for enhancing scent sensitivity, but then it's a question of slowing the entire game down in order to support optional abilities.

Also problematic is that this bottleneck would be enlarged multiplicatively by the merged z-level feature since we'd want to start diffusing in 3D.  So keeping an eye out for that as well.

Quote from: Nighthawk
Quote from: Silfurdreki
Quote from: Aseaheru
    When I read that, I realised that it would actually be cool to be able to find loaded guns (partially or fully) on dead soldiers and the like. That, along with some bullet casings strewn on the
    ground would make the dead soldiers somewhat more immersive.

That would actually be really cool. I mean, considering the fact that these people died while wielding the weapons, it's not terribly unlikely that some of them died with shots still in the
cartridge.
I like the idea.

Not too terribly difficult, and something we're planning on, just need to build out the infrastructure for spawning "outfits" so that the gun, ammo, and casings are matched.  The same thing would also make their clothing, etc a bit more consistent and rational.

Quote from: Mrnocamera

Guns have a firing mode, which is currently "Normal", "Burst", or "Aux", could add "Safe".
"Aux" is for underslung grenade launchers and the like.

Safeties aren't a feature I was thinking of adding; while that would be amusing, I think it'd be more amusing to me than to the players ;)
I was thinking of eventually adding holstering to free up your hands, and give situational incentives to do so.

I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: June 28, 2013, 10:29:54 am »

I'd imagine characters with jittery and the flaw that makes you shoot more than you intend would be the ones who really have to worry about such things. And that better gun skill somewhat counteracts it.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: June 28, 2013, 10:35:21 am »

Wouldn't being able to (A)ctivate the guns be an easier way?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:55 am »

is there a way to throw jabberwocks off your trail? nearly every game I die to one, and there's nothing i can do. as soon as i see it i run the other way, but it catches up anyway, and kills me. I think I did kill one once, but that was when i had a katana and was at full health.

I've tried breaking line of sight, that doesn't work. can I destroy my scent somehow? next game I guess I'll try molotovs, see if that works at all.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:29 am »

is there a way to throw jabberwocks off your trail? nearly every game I die to one, and there's nothing i can do. as soon as i see it i run the other way, but it catches up anyway, and kills me. I think I did kill one once, but that was when i had a katana and was at full health.

I've tried breaking line of sight, that doesn't work. can I destroy my scent somehow? next game I guess I'll try molotovs, see if that works at all.
Wait, there are Jabberwocks? Look for a vorpal blade.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »

Wait, there are Jabberwocks? Look for a vorpal blade.
LAW rockets work as well.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 1086