Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861474 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3570 on: June 26, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »

Do turrets still appear or disappear when you're not looking?

I recall hostile turrets popping out of nowhere without setting off security.
I also recall friendly turrets would vanish when you walked off.

Im pretty sure that KevinGranade was working on that a few days ago. Not sure if the issue was fixed though.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: June 27, 2013, 10:14:07 am »

Do turrets still appear or disappear when you're not looking?

I recall hostile turrets popping out of nowhere without setting off security.
I also recall friendly turrets would vanish when you walked off.

Im pretty sure that KevinGranade was working on that a few days ago. Not sure if the issue was fixed though.

YES! Between AtomicDryad and myself, I think we managed to quash all the turret despawn/spawn issues, so they stay where you left them now (it should include when you go up/down stairs or elevators).  Incidentally we also nailed some related monster spawn/despawn bugs that were less noticeable because you don't tend to keep track of exactly where a monster was the last time you saw it.

tl;dr If you grab a nightly it should be fixed.

p.s. Thanks for bringing this back up, I meant to answer earlier, but it got lost in the déraillement yesterday.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:54 am »

Something that I would like to see would be smelling.
It would just display a text message about the dominant smell in that tile.
e.g. "It smells like rotten flesh", "It smells like fungus", "It smells like there were some people here",  probably a bit more subtle. If there are two equally strong smells, it could give a message saying that you can't make out the exact smell. Gas stations should probably also emit a rather strong smell, because, well, I assume all of you have been at a gas station and know these places kinda stink. Some houses would also have a fungus smell because of being badly maintained etc. This way, you can smell when there's a fuckton of zombies on the other side of the wall, but it's not supra-dupra x-ray vision.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: June 27, 2013, 12:01:21 pm »

e.g. "It smells like rotten flesh", "It smells like fungus", "It smells like there were some people here",  probably a bit more subtle. If there are two equally strong smells, it could give a message saying that you can't make out the exact smell. Gas stations should probably also emit a rather strong smell, because, well, I assume all of you have been at a gas station and know these places kinda stink. Some houses would also have a fungus smell because of being badly maintained etc. This way, you can smell when there's a fuckton of zombies on the other side of the wall, but it's not supra-dupra x-ray vision.

An olfactory system would actually be amazing. Why? Because smell is one of the most, if not the most, emotionally evocative senses. I have always used this extensively in my own D&D settings, and players ALWAYS remember what rooms smelled like.

So yes. Please. :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:07:57 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3574 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:17 pm »

That would be a freakin awesome addition! :D
* GalenEvil jots down for further extension of scent simulation code
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3575 on: June 27, 2013, 12:18:49 pm »

It would also make the smelly disadvantage have some more down sides. "You take a wiff of the surroundings but nothing is strong enough to get through your natural fragrance."
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: June 27, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »

It would also make the smelly disadvantage have some more down sides. "You take a wiff of the surroundings but nothing is strong enough to get through your natural fragrance."

Oh god. ew.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: June 27, 2013, 12:19:45 pm »

Not really. A smelly person would know their own scent.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: June 27, 2013, 12:20:35 pm »

"Oh God, did something die in here... Oh wait. That's just me."

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:15 pm »

Not really. A smelly person would know their own scent.

I don't know... after several months of no bathing? :P

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: June 27, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »

If your gonna add that, you might as well add bathing too.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:47 pm »

If your gonna add that, you might as well add bathing too.
Run around in the acid rain?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3582 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »

No, No, No. Your getting what I said wrong. I am not saying that you smell because you have not bathed but rather that the smelly trait which represents you just naturally smelling more, not necessarily a bad smell (after all it says it doesn't offend humans), is just strong enough that the small scents get lost. So a vague wiff of honey when getting near a hive would just not appear, you would need a stronger scent to notice it. I must admit my way of saying it was exaggerated for humor.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »

I have been kicking around the idea of a scent map the player has access to.  Currently the only thing tracked is player scent, for the benefit of monsters.  The interface would probably be a combination of being alerted when a strong scent was first noticed, and a "check smell" command that would give you the direction in which the scent is strongest, perhaps with some fuzzing.

I was initially thinking of just tracking zombie scent, because I assume rotten flesh thing would have a strong enough scent to be noticed by even a human nose, but good point that other things would have the capacity to drown out that, such as gas stations.  Adding more scent-producing entities really isn't problematic, it's the diffusion code that ends up eating a lot of cycles, which is something GalenEvil is looking at reimplementing in a more efficient way.  Having different *kinds* of scent would be potentially problematic in the current system, as it only deals with intensities, and it would need to either be repeated for each class of scent, or have some kind of arbitration algorithm where stronger scents would obliterate weaker scents, which complicates and would probably slow down the logic.  Not sure how GalenEvil's system would handle different scent types.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »

In other news, Fast Learner + Optimist allows you to train your character to god-tier skills levels in less than a week! Add in some Archery skill and you can headshot everything while walking through town whistling.

Also, I haven't tried fire arrows yet. How well do they work for the set-it-on-fire-and-let-it-burn-to-death strategy?
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1086