Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861819 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Kickstarter launched!
« Reply #3480 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »

This is going to sound like the pettiest complaint ever, but

I've been playing 0.5 on windows for the past few days and just downloaded 0.6. The font is different. I do not like the new font. How do I get the old font in the new version?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:43 pm »

You can change it in the options, so just grab the old font and pluck it into the new game?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: June 23, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »

It's actually a pretty common one though.

Unfortunately, Terminus is no longer packaged within the game, you'll have to download it separately.

1. Download Terminus Bold. (Direct Link!)
2. Place it ttf file into your FONT folder within the data folder of the game's directory.
3. Open up "fontdata" in the data folder with a text editor.
4. First line should be the path to the ttf file. Example: C:\Users\Name\Desktop\CataclysmDDA\data\font\TerminusBold.ttf
5. The second and third lines are the vertical and horizontal size of the screen, respectively. Default is 8 then 16.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: June 23, 2013, 03:52:49 pm »

You can "s"mash corpses in order to keep them from reviving; it may take multiple tries.

Hard hits also send blood and gore flying onto other squares.
I like butchering. You get stuff.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: June 23, 2013, 03:58:51 pm »

It's actually a pretty common one though.

Unfortunately, Terminus is no longer packaged within the game, you'll have to download it separately.

1. Download Terminus Bold. (Direct Link!)
2. Place it ttf file into your FONT folder within the data folder of the game's directory.
3. Open up "fontdata" in the data folder with a text editor.
4. First line should be the path to the ttf file. Example: C:\Users\Name\Desktop\CataclysmDDA\data\font\TerminusBold.ttf
5. The second and third lines are the vertical and horizontal size of the screen, respectively. Default is 8 then 16.

Thank you! You saved Christmas. It seems like a small thing, but for some reason it really got to me. :P

It didn't work right away but I got it after some fiddling. I needed to set the values to 8 and 17 or else the font was squished, and it only worked in the SDL version (not catacurses) for some reason. Good to know for the future, though.

Edit: What's the new number in the bottom right corner of the interface, beside speed and below focus?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:06:58 pm by DeKaFu »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: June 23, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »

I'm curious to know why the font was changed to begin with. I haven't tried the latest version yet so I don't know if I like it or not. Was there some issue with the old font that complicated aspects of the gui?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: June 23, 2013, 05:05:52 pm »

Side effect of moving to SDL. I think it may just be the default SDL font (while Terminus was the default curses font).

I'm pretty sure Terminus is still the default for Linux for that reason - curses runs much faster on it. But the improvement gains for SDL, performance-wise, provided a very good reason to make that the default for windows.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: June 23, 2013, 06:37:05 pm »

I just played a couple of quick-death characters in the newest build and I don't see anything bad with the new font. It doesn't look all that different from before, tbh. Not worth swapping over, anyway. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: June 23, 2013, 09:16:02 pm »

Needs to be square, needs to be bigger.

Dunno why, but roguelikes with a rectangular font bother me. Maybe it's because I feel like some things are further away, or maybe I just don't like my images to look stretched....

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: June 23, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

Cataclysm was the first ASCII game to work for me. Like, have it click and be able to see them as graphics. It's still one of the only ones I like playing in ASCII (other being DF).
Even a minor change in font is kind of like changing all the graphics in the game, if that makes any sense. To something similar but with a different feel. But maybe I'm just weird. :/

Anyway,
Quote from: me
Edit: What's the new number in the bottom right corner of the interface, beside speed and below focus?
Still curious about this. It keeps changing and I have no idea what it is.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »

For the kickstarter, see this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127585.0

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

For those who are unaware, Cataclysm is a roguelike set in the post-apocalypse. There are zombies, but it is NOT a zombie game. And even the zombies aren't as they appear. You'll fight robots and giant worms, mutate and enhance yourself with cybernetics, and struggle to keep your hunger (and the wolves) at bay, all while uncovering the secret of why the world was really destroyed.

Welcome to the end.

You emerge from the shelter into the dim light of an overcast day, and look around for the first time since the disaster.

The world as you knew it is gone. A ruined world stands in its place, full of nightmares come to life. Nothing can ever go back to the way it was, before the Cataclysm, but you have to be strong. You have to survive. You have to persevere. If you don't, death will be one of the better outcomes.

Above your head, storm clouds gather, and the rain stings and hisses against your skin. You shoulder your backpack, and start walking. The world has gone to hell, but you get the sinking feeling that there are darker days ahead.

So, Cataclysm. Some of you may remember the original version. You may also remember that Whales isn't working on it anymore.

However, it is not dead! Instead, lead by TheDarklingWolf, development continues with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

I don't mean to be a downer, but did you ever get a formal declaration of ownership exchange from Whales?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:12 pm »

He added an open source license to the code. So yeah, we're clear there. We also talked to him when launching the branch (specifically, to request that).

Quote from: me
Still curious about this. It keeps changing and I have no idea what it is.
It's how long your last action took, so you can get a better sense of what things work faster than others.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:09:39 pm by GlyphGryph »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: June 23, 2013, 10:45:09 pm »

The performance improvements in this version are great, with the windows SDL version. Reading is much faster, for me anyway.

Out of curiosity, is there a way of removing curtains without smashing the window?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: June 23, 2013, 10:50:31 pm »

I believe you can also disassemble the window from the construction screen. I think so, anyway.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: June 23, 2013, 10:59:57 pm »

You can. 

Is it possible to install both an electric engine and combustion engine in the same car?  If so, can you switch between them?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 1086